FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless Connectivity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agentgex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentgex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless Connectivity
    Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 12:13pm
I recently purchased a desktop from CyberPowerPC that has Windows 8. I purchased it with a wireless card in it; a Netis WF-2118.

When I booted up the PC for the first time, it detected no wireless. Checked device manager, the card shows up there with no issues. I found a CD in the box with the drivers so I reinstalled the drivers.

Afterward, I was able to see my SSID for a brief moment and then it went away never to be seen again. I emailed tech support and they recommended RMAing it as the hardware may be faulty.

I went out to the manufacturer's website and found a new driver that says it is for Win8. After installing that I can see my SSID, however it fails to connect. When it fails, I then have to disable the card and re-enable in order to pick up any SSIDs again.

Searching online I've seen a number of people having issues with wireless in Windows 8 due to drivers. I've also seen a few posts here about issues with the hardware.

That being said, I'm just curious if anyone has had success using one of these cards with Windows 8; or if it would be worth doing an RMA. I don't really want to send a perfectly good card back if it's just a driver issue.

Thanks!
CyberHD View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberHD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:40am
Sort of sounds like an issue that occurs when both antennas are not connected. Are they both connected?

Try also removing the wireless card from the PCI slot and don't screw in the card. Try to see if you can power the system on after that and connect to your network. Sometimes the cards will slightly pop out of the slot when screwed down as if the bracket were bent.
Regards, CyberHD
Tech Support 888-900-5180/877-876-4965
Email:[email protected]
Please email [email protected] for status checks on RMA or repairs.
agentgex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentgex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 2:10pm
Thanks for the response.

Both antennas are connected to the card. I'll try re-seating the card int he PCI slot without the screw and provide an update.

Negatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 6:20pm
Customer L9KWW9, having an identical problem, save for I have the Netis 2117, not the 2118. I called tech on the phone today and Mike told me to  make sure the antenna was plugged in (it was) and to re seat the card (I did) but still no go on WiFi. I tried to call back tonight but I was on hold for so long that I assumed that everyone had left the office to go home for the night while I was holding. Would be nice to know if the Netis cards are not Windows 8 compatible or if there is another problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic