Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 Troubleshooting and How-To
    Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:36pm

Welcome to Windows 7 101.

We have a couple of great links for everyone to check out. We plan to update this list as new links become available.

Edited by Cyber_Tech - 22 Oct 2009 at 7:50pm
Cyber_Tech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 5:02pm
UPGRADING VISTA TO WINDOWS 7

Boot the computer to the Windows desktop and insert the Windows 7 CD in the drive.

Choose -Run setup.exe

-Click on (Check Compatibility Online) to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor utility.

-Click (Download) then (Run) at the following prompts to download the utility.

Welcome to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Setup Wizard

-Select (I accept the license terms) to continue the Upgrade Advisor setup.

You have successfully installed Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
You can run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Start menu on your desktop.

-Click close

-Go to desktop

Check to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7

-Click (Start Check) and the Upgrade Advisor will scan the computer to check for potential issues with the Windows 7 Upgrade that must be addressed before it is attempted.

After the Upgrade Advisor scan is completed it will generate a report that can be saved for later viewing.  Incompatible applications or drivers may need to be removed prior to upgrading.  It may also warn you of applications that might not work properly in Windows 7.

Windows 7 Setup

-Select the (Install now) button when the Install Windows window appears.
Wait while the setup copies temporary files for the installation.

Setup will ask whether to go online and check for updates or to skip the updates and proceed with the installation.  Choose the option to go online and download the latest updates for the install to potentially resolve any problems that have since been fixed by an update.

Select the operating system you want to install.

-Windows 7 Starter
-Windows 7 Home Premium
-Windows 7 Professional
-Windows 7 Ultimate

Make sure you choose the version that you are licensed for.  Installing the wrong version will require you to reinstall Windows because you will not be able to activate the operating system.

Read the End User License Agreement and click (Next) after checking the box for the (I accept the license terms) to continue the installation.

Which type of installation do you want?

Choosing Upgrade allows you to keep your old files in Windows 7.  Select a Custom (advanced) installation to format and wipe out all the data on the drive prior to installing the new operating system.

Upgrading Windows

Copying Windows files, gathering files, setting and program, expanding Windows files, installing features and updates, transferring files, setting and program

Upgrade starts copying files and will list x/y MB remaining at the bottom of the window.  It will also save your old files and settings during this process.

The installation will take some time to complete.  If it fails, you will have to redo the upgrade installation.  The computer will restart a couple of times during the installation.

The Windows Boot Manager menu may appear during the restarts with choices for (Windows Vista) and either (Windows Setup) or (Windows Setup Rollback).  It will automatically default and continue with the Windows Setup unless you select “Windows Setup Rollback”

(Windows Setup Rollback) option can be used to cancel the upgrade and revert back to Windows Vista.  

DO NOT REMOVE THE WINDOWS CD DURING THE INSTALL

Setup Windows for the first time

-Type your Windows product key - THis shoulhd be supplied with your Upgrade media.

-Click Next

Help protect your computer and update Windows automatically

(Option 1) Use recommended settings
(Option 2) Install important updates only
(Option 3) Ask later
(Choose One)

-Click next

Review your Time and Date settings

-Click Next

Select your computers current location

(Option 1) Home network
(Option 2) Work network
(Option 3) Public network
(Choose one)

-Click Next

Boot to the Windows Desktop

Install component drivers and any updates

Finished

Upgrade installation times will usually take approximately one hour.  Install time will vary though based on amount of files/settings that need to be saved and later transferred to the new operating system.

Regards Cyber_tech
Tech Support 888-900-5180/877-876-4965 or 626-869-0228.
Email:techsupport@cyberpowerpc.com
Please email rma.status@cyberpowerpc.com for status checks on RMA or repairs.
lvsunz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:16pm
Very helpful for my wife's Vista laptop, thank you. I'm in the process of configuring a new CP system for me using Win 7 Professional. Do I get the Win 7 CD with my order? Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic