Need Help? We're here for you.
Order online or Call (800)707-0393
Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what is the #1 anti virus software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
IceCold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceCold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the #1 anti virus software
    Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 4:30am
Whats the #1 anti virus software out there? Im going to guess and say that its expansive but can anyone tell me what it is im getting my New PC soon and i want to have the best thing out there to protect it.
infest31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infest31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:08pm
AVG Free kicked my computers ass back into shape after I had a few trojans on it. Not a bad place to start.
MalVeauX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalVeauX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 5:53pm
Heya,

The best AV is no AV. The thing is, AV software is not really useful for catching the things that are truly dangerous and/or malicious. It doesn't stop the main stream stuff that infects your computer with or without AV software. Most of it comes through your browser.

Thing is, you really don't need AV software. It's basically as `malicious' as the virii you're attemtping to avoid in the first place. It hogs your system's resources, it's irritating, it's expensive, and frankly, does nothing really good.

Safe browsing habits and some critical thinking while you're using the web is as safe, minus the crappy software.

Cheers,
Interested in a GAMING machine? READ THIS.
bigw3260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigw3260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 1:57pm
I would suggest AVAST! anti virus.  As MalVeauX said many dangerous programs get in through you browser and IM programs as well as email. Also rootkits are also a problem and many AV programs don't check for them. But AVAST! does. It scans email, IM, P2P, browsers all in real time as you are on the web. It does a great job. So much so that I recommend it on my web site.
Hope this helps.
Anyone interested in checking it out can follow the link on my web page.
http://www.bigwconsulting.com

Edited by bigw3260 - 01 Oct 2008 at 2:08pm
www.bigwconsulting.com
alphaecho4386 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphaecho4386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 4:49pm
word on avast. it catches things really well, esp from those pesky p2p apps. Unlike many more mainstream anti virus software, it doesn't lock programs down, or pop up constantly screaming at you, for something that it should have ignored.
I highly recommend avast! its easy on resources, offers full protection, and it is completly free.

Again tho, like what malveaux said it is an esentially useless application. for me i just generally reformat once a year, kills all bugs, and gets windows running in tip top shape.

Edited by alphaecho4386 - 01 Oct 2008 at 4:51pm
fancysocks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fancysocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 5:50am
I also run avast!, although MalVeauX is definitely right in that you just have to be careful where you're browsing. I personally use Firefox 3.0 with NoScript and AdBlock Plus. Haven't had any problems, but I still run avast! since I'm just paranoid with family also using my computers. From reviews, it's supposed to be one of the most effective and least resource intensive programs out of the AV options available (including retail options).
Cybertoxic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cybertoxic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2008 at 4:53am
I personally use "Computer Associates E-Z AntiVirus". Not only does it give superior protection, but it has a tiny footprint, lean on resources and NON-intrusive and with very frequent updates. No, it doesn't boast every feature known, but all of the important stuff is there. Also, after 4 years of use, it has yet to give me issues with software or driver installations. Very transparent.

Also, it comes standard with THREE license keys to protect three computers.

I put the laughter in Slaughter!
biggigolo247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggigolo247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 9:27pm
I use avg pro. I have never hade any complaints with it
=DFA= WHOSIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =DFA= WHOSIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 2:58pm
Greetings All,

In this 5 year old HP "abacuss" of mine, I have used a "McAfee Security Suite" from almost day one. It came with "Norton" pre-loaded but, that program let too many things slip by and take up unwanted residence.Angry 
McAfee may be a bit hard to understand and set up at first but, it is well worth the money, some brain strain, and time.
Being I use this 'puter for both business and personal computing needs, I "surf the web" quite a bit visiting numerious sites. The McAfee programming has stopped many an attempted viral attack and it updates itself on a daily basis. It is also used on four other computers in the house.Thumbs%20UpApprove

In addition to McAfee, I also use the freebie "Spybot S&D" and purchased "AdAware Pro" programs for detecting and removing spyware, trackers, keyloggers, and other "nusancewares" which, slip thru McAfee's detection programing on my computer. Quite a few techs, even two at McAfee, informed me that, because no one (1) program of this type can "catch" everything out there, at least three(3) different ones in total are needed.Wink
{McAfee has stated that Spybot can cause conflicts within programing but, I have had no such problems. This may not be the case for others however so, beware of this.}

However, I have ordered a new custom built to my specs "gamer" from Cyberpower PC for my RAM eating flight simming programs and it will NOT have any such anti-virus/spyware programing in it. Shocked

The first reason is that, it will ONLY be used for flight simming off-line here or on-line in a privet, single owner operated & maintained, dedecated server which, is fully protected, spotless, will remain so, and is totally, totally trusted.
The owner does not use any type of protection on his oun five personal rigs and hasn't had any problems in years! Cool {But, simming or gaming is all he EVER uses them for! He, like myself, uses protected 'puters for his business and personal computing.} 
The net will be used only to connect the two together while simming and the connection to the modem, both physically and electronically, will not be left on at all times.Thumbs%20Up
Surfing and site visitations will only be done using this protected computer like I am doing now.WinkApprove

The second being that, ANY programming which, runs in the back ground and un-noticed by the simmer or gamer, regardless of it's claimed "transparency", robs the system of needed RAM and reduces the processing speeds.Stern%20SmileThumbs%20Down
I have heard ALL anti-malware programs discribed by long time simmers as being the, "Spawn of Satan", due to this fact.LOL I agree with them 100%.Thumbs%20Up

This is something many common or newbie simmers or gamers aren't aware of but, PLEASE. . . DO NOT go into your computer's start up programming area and begin turning stuff off if you don't know what the heck you're doing!!! It's a great way of giving yourself or your parents giant head and heart aches. UnhappyCry

I consider myself VERY lucky to be just able to afford a second computer dedicated to my flight simming programing and I do have the knowledge base to take care of the computers and home network system I have along with the problems which, do pop up with it all from time to time. There are still many people in the US who, don't own, for a number of reasons, a single one of any type or of any age. Don't mess your's up by being dumb.

ExclamationNOTE: Be aware that, if you are foolish enough to decide to go on-line, do some surfing or even visit a site or fourm you believe is a clean and trusted one, with a rig such as the one I will have and sim with shortly (I hope), without some type of very good protection programing installed in it, more likely than not, something is going to jump up out of the dark in cyber space and bite your computer in the Censored really good! It may even outright die on you! DON'T DO IT!!!! Exclamation

I don't think I can put it any simpler than that.

Now everyone go, enjoy, and win your game, whatever it may be.Smile

Laters,
Rick "WHOSIT" W.
Squat500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 10:59pm
this may sound typical, but all i have ever had to was keep norton off unless i am browsing. if i get a download i always save it to desktop in a quarantine file then scan it. that has save me 3 gray birds and a trojan, so it is effective.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic