FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is right..Dual boot??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaytee100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaytee100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is right..Dual boot??
    Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 11:02am
I am planning on installing Window 7U on a 64gb ssd and on a back up drive so I can switch boot drives if the ssd has any problems. Do I need to add a partition on the 2nd drive before installing the OS. If I do this... will the bios see the partitioned drive as 1 or 2 drives. My guess is one since it will use only 1 port. Also.. any recommendations about the pagefile on the ssd? My plan was to just leave it there as the ssd supports TRIM and it is my belief the write/rewrite issues with SSD's is overblown. The SSD drive will only have windows/security. Another SSD drive will have all other programs and the backup HDD will have back up OS and games and media. I figure this way if the main SSD has issues some time, I can get another and re-install OS without the pain of having to reinstall all my programs. Thoughts???
IP Logged

Mega Special III
SP3, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_III/
*BASE_PRICE: [+789]
BLUETOOTH: None
CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+106]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
FA_HDD: None
FAN: CoolerMaster V6 GT CPU Cooler (Nickle Plated Double-V Heatpipe w/ Color Changing LED Cap) [+22]
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_RM: 30 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
GLASSES: None
HDD: 64 GB A-Data S501 V2 SATA III 6.0G/s Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+46] (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: 500GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+48] (Single Hard Drive)
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MB_ADDON: None
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX [+32])
MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X246W-1080P LCD (Viewable 23.6")(Black Color) w/ Built-in Speaker, DVI & Input [+159]
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping]
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 700w Coolermaster Silent Pro 80- SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: 5% Instant Rebate for Non-Rush Delivery Order over $999 - Ships within 3 Weeks - Must Enter Coupon Code "NORUSH" during checkout
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VC_PHYSX: None
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [-13] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+1220)
_view_: d
$1,220.00x1     $1,220.00
jaytee100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaytee100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:16am
nobody knows the answer to this??
lozuvacaja View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lozuvacaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:16am
To be frank dual boot works well but investing additionally in ssd might be a better desicion.
Regards,
Caja Tutuapp . ShowBox . K
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:10am
A few things

Your over complicating using a dual boot. Mostly dual boots are used to switch operating systems, not generally as a backup for a single OS.

Two ways I would go at it. First what I do is use one additional drive to "clone" my OS and most used games & programs. Once every couple of months. Then just keep my first drive as the "boot" drive. If something happens it is an easy switch in the BIOS to get back up and deal with re-cloning. Basically your doing the same thing with the way your trying to dual boot, just complicating things.

Consider going with  a RAID array. Look at RAID 1 mirroring or RAID 1+0 (RAID 10). Provides un-monitored redundancy. >>>>>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID 

When you partition a drive it will be seen as multiple drives, but not multiple physical drives. So if the drive fails you still loose all. 

The write re-write tend to be overblown. It is real, but nothing more than a platter drive being able to fail. You in general would need to write something like 190 GB's a day for 10 years to wear one out. Most all have monitoring software you can keep an eye on the status. >>>>>>> https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2018/02/07/how-long-do-ssds-really-last/ 

I would not get a monitor from CP. If you have any issues your paying to return it and waiting a month or so. Get your monitor locally.

You really need to consider 8 GB's of RAM anyway, 16 is more the standard currently.  If your not gaming or multi-tasking 4GB's is the minimum. >>>>>>> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-much-ram-does-your-windows-10-pc-really-need 

Lastly, consider the premium warranty. Without it if you have any problems, even just out of the box. You will have to pay for return shipping to CP to get it fixed. The premium warranty will get you a full year of free shipping for any warranty work. CP used to have the first 30 days as a free RMA. They recently stopped that. Complete bull as far as I am concerned.

Edited by GAN1957 - 13 May 2019 at 5:12am
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic