FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on pro-sumer photo / video use ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
theimagedoctor View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on pro-sumer photo / video use ???
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:47pm
Hello CyberpowerPC community.

I'm a 30 year career visual designer and pro-sumer / advanced hobbyist photo / video guy. 

I just received a CyberpowerPC Gamer Supreme desktop mid-tower pre-configured from BestBuy. The price was in my range (was $150 off, probably discontinued or something) and the specs seemed as good or better than most other boxes in the same price range. 

I'm wanting to do more video work in my visual design business, and it seemed to me that GAMING boxes have most of the same sort of hardware needs - specifically fast, hi-resolution video rendering - at generally lower prices than tailored "video editing systems."

Basically I was going for bang-for-the-buck, and took a chance on CyberpowerPC, and here's what I got...

• AMD Ryzen 7-Series 
  • 16GB Memory 
  • AMD Radeon RX 590 
  • 2TB Hard Drive 
  • 240GB Solid State Drive 

Looks good on paper, but when I received the box there was literally one sticker that said "dont plug in your hdmi here, plug it in here" - and apart from THAT there is NO information at all... no instructions, no user manual, no visual diagram of the hardware layout for upgrade reference - NOTHING.

From the (limited) specs on the Best Buy website, it looks like this thing has extra bays for SATA drives, which is good as I have all my client files on SATA drives in my current system which I can move over to this one (hopefully.) 

Here are my main questions: 

1. In addition to the SATA ports, is there any type of super fast "processor direct" port (or something like that) for adding SSDs  (to be used as scratch drives for Adobe Premiere)  ???
  2. What kind of memory does this thing need to expand the RAM ???
  3. How do I activate and customize all the cool internal RGB lighting ???
  4. How do I register this new computer with CyberpowerPC ???

I've poked around here on the forum, and I will continue to do so - I'm not asking for handouts / charity, just a little help to get going. I literally unboxed the computer about an hour ago, and I already feel like I'm in a bit over my head - even though the initial setup has been super fast and everything is working perfectly so far. 

I REALLY appreciate anyone information that points me in the right direction. I'll do the work and reading, I just can't find ANY information on this website SPECIFIC to my box ?!?!?!?

Thanks in advance fellow CPPC'rs :-) 
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:54pm
Starting to get frustrated and consider boxing this entire thing back up - the SSD isn't showing up ?!?!?!?
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 5:23am
I wish you had checked here and asked questions first. No member will suggest buying an off the shelf build period. Correct next to no information, but that is true even for a top end CP build if you ask. This site is not for people who are not able to work on some system basics and know how to get into a system. No insult intended.

When you go through a build base here and customize a system you know exactly what your getting and all the options the system is capable of because you know exactly what components your getting. You never do with any of the off the shelf builds, sometimes your not even sure what case you have.

A couple of big red flags, Se what PSU you have if it is a "standard" or no name get it out of your system. These are junk, provide uneven power (ripples) hard long term on everything, have high failure rates and have been known to fry systems.

The main reason gaming systems seem to be better is from having a higher end GPU (graphics card) Which is OK for video wok, rendering,etc. but not the most critical component. For you work you need as many cpu cores as you can get and more RAM, the GPU is only for looks on the monitor screen, it doesn't really help in the work process.

You may be ahead to take it back to best buy, then come back here and post your max budget and what the system is for. The membership will chime in with suggestions for a solid build and you will know every component in your system. Your going to benefit with an AMD "Thread Ripper" or higher and 8 or 10 core Intel cpu. These aren't cheap. the more cpu cores the faster the work gets done. If your doing this professionally that's what you need.

Data transfer. Faster USB 3.0 or fire wire. A NVMe ssd is the fastest thing out there now.

Here is an AMD Thread Ripper system, ""16 core"" cpu, 32GB's of quality RAM, very expandable MOBO with enough PCIe 16 slots to add anything yo need. ULTRA FAST NVMe main drive, with an additional slower SSD and HD combo. 240mm sealed cooler with 4 fans, a great case with removable dust filters, 4 fans to keep things cool. A higher end GPu so you can see your end product. All "name brand" components you can look up and reference the specs.

Base price $2,547.00, use checkout code spring0410 or NORUSH for 5% off the total. If your doing this as a business or professionally this is what you need, anything cheaper will reflect in time wasted in processing work, each cpu core you drop will slow your total time down. AMD has higher end "Thread Rippers" with over ""20 cpu cores"".

Configuration#: 1LGH73 (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1LGH73)

*BASE_PRICE: [+1505]
CABLE: None
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CAS: IN WIN 303 Mid Tower High Air Flow Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Full Size Window [+28] (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CC: None
CD: None
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz [4.0GHz Turbo] Sixteen-Core 32MB L3 Cache 180W Processor
CS_FAN: 4X 120mm Gamdias AEOLUS M1 1204R ARGB Rifle Bearing Case Fans w/ Remote Controller for Light & Fan Speed [+36]
ENGRAVING: None
EVGA_POWER: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 570LXL 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (4 x Standard 120MM Fans [+10])
HDD: 500GB WD Black™ SN750 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3470/2600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 220/380k [+40] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 120GB WD Green SSD + 3TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+109] (Combo Drive)
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: None [-5]
MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel Memory [+120] (ADATA XPG Z1)
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE AORUS X399 Gaming 7 ATX w/ RGB, Digital LED Support, 802.11ac, USB 3.1, 5 PCIe x16, 8 SATA3, 3 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+123]
MOUSE: None [-3]
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply [+81]
PRO_WIRING: None
PROJECTOR: None
PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC Elite M1 131 RGB 7-Color w/ 9 Button, adjustable Weight & lighting effects Gaming Mouse [+5]
PROMOSALE2: Syber K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable RGB LED Lighting [+5]
PROMOSALE3: CyberPowerPC AULA Explosive 50mm Drive Analog Gaming Headset [White & Orange] [+5]
PROMOSALE4: CyberPowerPC FPS Gaming Mouse Pad [+0] (X-Large 30x12 Inches)
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 5 to 10 Business Days
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce® RTX 2070 Gaming 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] [+450] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: PREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]
WNC: None
WTV: None
_PRICE: (+2547)
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 5:32am
Some basics again.

You need to find out what MOBO you have to know exactly what RAM, speed and manufacture is compatible.

Unless we know the exact build specs, we can't guide you much. The lights may have a switch inside the case for one type, You may be able to control them through the BIOS or additional programming.

I don't think there is a need to register a third party build. Keep your receipt, you will have to deal with the "E commerce" at CP. You can drop them a line to verify.

If you keep this system, verify what PSU you have as I mentioned. If the standard get it out of your system.

You need to download and run Intel Burn-in and Memtest. These are free programs to stress your system, you want to know if you have any issues while you can return it or get a component replacement. For instance when you run Memtest, it will let you know if there are any bad sectors in your RAM, Even one bad sector can cause all sorts of weird issues.

Intel Burn In (run on standard) about 5 passes, you can see if your cooling is good, your GPU is good, etc.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:34pm
GAN1957,,,,,THANK YOU for being straight up with me!  

I had NO idea I was buying this sort of box. Frankly, my biggest gripe right now is with Best Buy and less w/ CP. These gaming boxes are presented right along side HP desktops and there is NO indication of any difference. They need a big red label that says, "Don't buy this unless you're into building custom computers!" - LOL  (and no offense taken for your perspective on my abilities... #appreciation for that!)

I do feel I'm a little in over my head at the moment - not that I cannot do the work you outlined. I'm sure I can, and would be the better for it. But I'm also in a bit of a timing crunch as well, facing a big client project and not much bandwidth to burn. Like I got this weekend to play around and that's it - by the end of next week, I really need to be on a new system.

I wrote CP tech support and sent them my serial number. I would definitely like to see what they say. 

I'd also like to do everything you mentioned above, just for my own knowledge.

Still... based on YOUR expertise... It sounds like this box isn't particularly suited to video work (though it may serve that purpose fine for non-professional use, such as mine.) 

Seems like my best course of action may be to just pack this up and return it to BB, then get something w/ more cores (etc.) as you suggested - but then I need to wait for BB to credit my card, blah blah blah.  

Heck... I'll run your instructions tonight and tomorrow - let's see what the survey says - LOL :-) 

Thanks again!!!
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:54pm
Spoke w/ CP tech support - nice enough people and reasonably patient w/ me...

PSU = 600watt
MOBO = Gigabyte 460M micro ATX
DDR4 = 2 x 8gb XPG ADATA sticks (2 more available slots)
(Tech just said DDR4 ram - didn't give me any specs to hit)

All the lights were just unplugged from the little dist block - easy fix there - lol :-) 

Edited by theimagedoctor - 24 May 2019 at 4:56pm
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:15am
Just installed CPU-Z and HWmonitor form CPUID. (And the ones you said, and a few others I found researching this whole situation further.) 

The CPUID apps have a couple of "benchmarking" options - but I don't see much in the way of burn-in / stress testing.

I did benchmark this (8-core) box against an AMD Thredripper w/ 16 cores, and the latter was almost exactly 200% faster (for lack of a better word) than the one I have. Plus with double the threads, I can see where it would be SO much faster even still than this new one already is (from my perspective - see below...) 

At least I can SEE what's inside the box, and how its doing - good first steps!

"You need to download and run Intel Burn-in and Memtest"

Ok I got those... but there's all kind of warnings about using them - lol. 

What do I need to KNOW before I run those puppies ???

The last thing I want at this point is to get stuck w/a brand new $900 digital boat anchor - though the cool LEDs would probably attract some fish - LOL :-) 

BTW - thank you SO much for that system profile above !!!!!  I wish I could afford THAT system.

I'm 52, w/ a 30yr career in graphic design and photography. I do a LOT of photoshop work, and would LIKE to do more video, but I'm not looking to "get into video" per se. (I know people who do video for a living - not interested in that.)  

As for upgrading in general... 

I'm working right now (literally as I type) on my trusty 8yr old Win7 Dell box (now running Win8.1, which will become a dedicated DAW once I complete this upgrade.)  For reasons that aren't relevant, I'm compelled to upgrade this home computer to support new requirements in my 9-5 role (I work from home a couple of days each week) and my computer budget was only $1000. 

I guess I (naively) thought a "gaming desktop" would be an easy way to get faster core processing and faster video support for my Photoshop work, and handle the limited video and 3D modeling without just creeping along like this Dell box does. Just firing it up, I can tell this thing us a freaking Ferrari on steroids in comparison (plus is looks friggin cool - lol) 

This CP box was $900 after a $150 discount (which usually means something in it is being discontinued or replaced) but the specs (as indicated on BestBuy.com) were better than anything else at that price point, so I pulled the trigger.

This will be a fun project for the weekend, and if it doesn't workout - life goes on...

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:17pm
Just writing stuff down here in case anyone wants to jump in, and so I don't forget it...

Drill down w/ CPUID says I have this...

- ASRock B450M Pro4 (motherboard)
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8-core processor)
- SK Hynix DDR-4 2666 2OZ  (2 x 8gb stix)
- AMD Radeon RX590 (graphics card running 300mhz core / 400mhz mem / 8gb)

Are those any good ???

Edited by theimagedoctor - 25 May 2019 at 4:21pm
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theimagedoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 7:07pm
Ok - I'm pressing on w/ the CP box, and in appreciation for the advice.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:49am
Been off for the holidays.

See your specs, the one thing you want to take a look at if you keep this system is the "brand" of PSU. If you open the box and find out it is a "standard" or other off brand, beware. These provide uneven power (ripples) hard long term on every component. Have high failure rates and have been known to fry systems. Corsair (not bad), Thermaltake, EVGA, XFX are generally decent.

You system cooling overall. If you have a 120mm sealed cooler with a single fan you about to tax your system. Liquid cooling is fine, but water does not dissipate heat well. Once it is hot it takes a long time to cool down. I run an AMD cpu also, had some minor heat issues with my 120mm sealed cooler. I add a second fan to make it push-pull (one fan pushing through the radiator core, the other pulling) heat issues went away for moat all cases. AMD cpu's tend to run hotter than any Intel. If you have a 240mm sealed cooler, your fine. Large fan based cooler OK, standard fan based cooler not so much and heat issues can rear there head.

Photoshop is not that taxing compared to 3D work, so thread rippers can be set aside for the most part.

Intel burn in, run on standard and monitor your system temps while doing so. If you system doesn't have at least 3 case fans, hold off until you add more. This is a basic test and takes the faster route than running "Prime 95", which taxes the cpu and cooling. Prime takes hours, Intel does a fast complete version. If your not comfortable skip it.

The most critical test is "Memtest" (5 passes). You trying to detect any hidden errors in all the RAM sectors. Just a few can make the system act all sorts of weird and can be hard to pin point. So once the test completes and shows a report you wither have bad sectors or not. "Any" bad sectors the RAM needs to be replaced.

With an 8 core AMD your plugging away a little faster than an Intel quad core with hyperthreading. Without hyperthreading your doing near twice the work. More cores, the faster the work gets done as each core is assigned part of the work.

I would bolster the RAM to 16GB's for a system used for work. 8GB's is about the minimum acceptable amount (although Windows will run on 2 or 4). Less than that and everything else uses a piece in the background.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic