FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSD Heat Sink

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSD Heat Sink
    Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 5:54am
I have a M.2 SSD installed and it is reaching the mid sixties during heavy disc usage.  I see an easily installed heat sink can be purchased from Amazon for about $15.00.  Would it be beneficial to install one?
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 12:38pm
That's a tad warm. Got case fans? I know last summer down here in Texas I was gaming with room temps at about 95F just seeing how the PC performs in those conditions and my Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Pro only got to 50C. That was a extreme condition. I have case fans firing right at the M.2 though or no doubt it would have been much higher. There is no way your M.2 NVMe should be that warm that is why I'm asking if you've got case fans. And summer isn't even here yet. What's idle look like? What's room temp? I know the max temp for my 970 Pro is 70C.
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 4:21am
I have done more checks.  Room temperature is about 30C and the highest temperature it is reaching is the mid 50s not the mid 60s as I noted is my earlier post.  It only reaches this temperature on rare occasions, like a malware scan of the files on the drive.  It is normally at the mid to high 30s.  I have case fans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:01pm
I'm in Texas so my room temps are usually 30C and higher this time of year. I'm acclimated so it doesn't bother me. For comparison my NVMe is mid to high 40s when gaming at these room temps. I got six case fans though and an additional cooler pull fan right near the NVMe. 
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 3:21am
So it appears the my mid 40s normal running and mid 60s highest temperatures are reasonable.  Am I correct?
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:36am
50 to 60C is not bad. They range depending on the manufacture. Manufactures also enable throttling if things get to hot.

I read an article stating Samsung EVO 850 up to 70C

Here's an article from 2018. >>>https://harddrivegeek.com/ssd-temperature/ 
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:18am
"So it appears the my mid 40s normal running and mid 60s highest temperatures are reasonable.  Am I correct?"

Sure they are reasonable the highest being 70c as GAN also notes. Mid 60s bears watching though. I only hit 50c one time and not above and that was at extreme ambient temps in the summer. Let's face it, we all are obsessed with and love low perfect temps...LOL! Great info posted by GAN.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic