Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screen flickers to black in full-screen mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CatherineMcClarey View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatherineMcClarey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screen flickers to black in full-screen mode
    Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 3:17pm
There was a sudden, short-lived (approx. 1 minute) power outage this morning at my home.  (No existing foul weather to suggest that this would be a possibility)  My computer was on at the time, streaming a movie from Amazon Prime Video.  (And of course it was plugged into a surge protector.)  Since then, I've had a problem with the screen flickering to black (not continuously, but every minute or so, or every time I click the mouse) whenever I try to run a game in full-screen mode.  (NOT while browsing online or using software in windowed mode).  I've checked this with Sid Meier's Colonization (a DOSBox game acquired from GOG.com), the Planetfall mod to Sid Meier's Civilization 4, and Sid Meier's Civilization 5:  Brave New World (these last 2 acquired from Steam).  It does NOT occur when running a game in windowed mode, such as 7 Grand Steps.  I ran IObit's Driver Booster 5.2 Pro to update all the drivers (after testing Colonization and Planetfall), and the flicker-to-black appeared again in Civ 5.  I got this Model GUA1400BST desktop computer from Best Buy only 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I would hate to think that some part of the hardware had gotten fried already.
(I did also restart the computer and later shut down the computer and rebooted from scratch during this process, with no noticeable improvement.)
I will next try unplugging and replugging in the monitor to the tower, to see if that helps.  After that, I will try swapping the keyboard & mouse I was using at the time of the power failure for a spare keyboard/mouse combo from our family's stash.  Any other troubleshooting suggestions?
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatherineMcClarey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
My husband suggested trying 1 thing at a time, and starting with unplugging and replugging in the monitor.  I was amazed to discover that a simple thing like that actually fixed my problem!  After doing the unplugging/replugging, I first tried loading a game from the Heroes Chronicles series:  the intro movie ran fine, and I was able to open the tutorial and click around on various things without triggering a flicker.  Then I tried reloading Sid Meier's Colonization (which had been nigh-unplayable with the flicker), and it now is running fine & flicker-free, too.  Thank you, dear!  :)  
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatherineMcClarey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 4:02am
Starting to have the same screen-flickering problem again, but just with Sid Meier's Colonization thus far.  This started just yesterday, after the local electric company (ComEd) had been doing some equipment repairs in town, which involved a town-wide power outage for about 15 minutes in the wee hours of the morning.  Will try the super-simple troubleshooting steps which worked last time first, and see if that fixes the issue again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic