FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Router/Modem Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DanielEnnis82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielEnnis82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Router/Modem Question
    Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 12:49pm
Ok I just spent $2k on a CPPC computer that hopefully I'll receive in the next 2 weeks and just bout a brand new BenQ 27" 1MS 120Hrtz XL2720T Monitor so basically Ive got an awesome system for playing mmorpgs now I'm wondering about the final piece of the puzzle the Router/Modem Issue.

I currently have the default modem from time warner with the speed boos option but I'm not sure how good it actually is. I'm thinking I need to get a modem upgrade and was also wondering about upgrading my router and wanted to know everyones opinion on the subject and their suggestions. Thanks.
JacobF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacobF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 1:15pm
I have no idea about this, I have a 7 year old Linksys modem/router haha
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielEnnis82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 2:20pm
Yeah I recently upgraded my router a bit but there were better and faster ones so I might upgrade again but as for the modem I don't think it can be upgraded much.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 5:26am
Not a whole lot you can do.

Do not go wireless with gaming for sure, If you can't hardwire easy, go with a "power line" network adapter they use your household wiring for the network signal.

There are a few gaming routers that use software to give the lions share of the bandwidth to games, like the Dlink DGL-4100

An article at this link>>>HERE

Edited by GAN1957 - 12 Aug 2013 at 5:30am
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielEnnis82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 6:29am
Thanks for the info, I took a look at it all. I appreciate the feedback.
LookASquirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LookASquirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 4:50pm
Check with your Internet Server Provider to see if their Network is DOCSIS 3.0. This is the most recent network update for improved speeds. Secondly run your Modem box's model number through the internet to see if it's DOCSIS 3.0 certified. It may also say it right by it's serial number as well. You may not need to get another modem.

A "Gigabit" Ethernet port will provide top speeds. If you have a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, you can make the most of it by purchasing a Gigabit router.

As for Ethernet cords, there are three kinds. Cat 5, Cat5e, and Cat 6. Typically most use Cat 5, the lowest graded. I recommend Cat 5e for Gigabit ports. Cat 6 is fine also, but I don't any internet provider sustains 100MB/s for it's customers.

This should cover the Internet part of your question. Look it up for further studies if you wanna buy. This is some-what murky information on my part.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielEnnis82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:02am

Awesome, thanks for the info, didn't even think about the cords they are just basic cords you get from best buy store or walmart so pry just CAT 5, I'll look into getting some 5E or 6 cords. As for the modem I don't think I'll get a new modem cause with the ones Time Warner provide they take care of all the settings and such so I don't have to worry about it but I've had the same modem for a good year or two from them so will take it in to their shop and get the latest one which may help and ask if they provide any faster/better modems for cost that they still setup and take care of. As for the Router I believe I will be getting the new D-Link DGL5500 Gaming Router pry in the next couple of weeks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic