FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

Power supply - testing for faulty power supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Salan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by metalman261 metalman261 wrote:

The PSU passed. So I plugged everything in slowly and made sure the connections were good. I powered on again and everything turns on except the GTX 260 GPU and the I/O USB ports.

So now the light turns to the gtx 260 (ignoring the usb ports for the moment).  Sorry, these things can wear you out and you have already swapped a motherboard and pulled and then reseated all of your psu connectors.  Is there any way you have or can pick up a cheap video card and see if that works?  Next logical step, but again you have gone so much grief allready.

We all feel your pain (no joke).

keep fighting.
Alan

CM HAF
I7 950
Zalman 9900LED
EVGA Classifed
12G Corsair Dom 1600
2 X BFG 285 OCXs
1500W Silverstone Strider
2 x Intel 80G X-25-M in Raid 0
LG BR Bnr, LG DVD Bnr
2 x WD 1T Blk
W7 Ult 64 Bit
metalman261 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalman261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 3:25pm
I actually had an old 8600gt from before my upgrade and I put that in there and booted. The fan came on and all looked well, but still no display.
Salan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 3:58pm

I actually had an old 8600gt from before my upgrade and I put that in there and booted. The fan came on and all looked well, but still no display.

Wow, this is giving me a headache.  I went through your other string again and it seems that you get a signal with on board video and can boot with 8600gt, but no signal from that and from the 260 (forgetting the usb ports for the while) and no boot with the 260.  I still come back to the psu.  The on board graphics and the 8600gt use very little wattage / amps at idle but the 8600 gt uses more than the on board and the 260 uses a lot more than both.  The problems seems to intensify, the higher the card.  Maybe, the only solution is to take the rig into a local shop, they have the tools to test it, rather than play detective, but gosh it sounds like the psu even though the paper clip test (which just shows if it is totally dead or not) was passed.

I do hope that you can get this figured out.  This has to be driving you crazy.  If and when you do, let us know.

Best wishes
Alan
CM HAF
I7 950
Zalman 9900LED
EVGA Classifed
12G Corsair Dom 1600
2 X BFG 285 OCXs
LG BR Bnr, LG DVD Bnr
2 x WD 1T Blk
W7 Ult 64 Bit
userco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote userco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 1:27am

backto basics, r u sure onboard vid on mobo is turned off in BIOS?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalman261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 6:28am
The new motherboard I tried is Asus M3A78 Pro. I have a Corsair tx650w psu. the asus has onboard ATI graphics. I booted up with the onboard pgu plugged to the monitor. It worked just fine. I have a brand new EVGA GTX260. I powered off my PC, hooked the 260 up, made sure it was seated and plugged in correctly and booted the PC.. every turn on, gpu fan spins, but the monitor says no signal. I took the 260 out and plugged in the onboard graphics again and it says no signal now, for that.
Thoughts?
 I cannot get into bios or anything now because the machine will not boot fully becaues the gpu(s) wont load.
Munch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:52am
Karamon,, Troll!!!
CoolerMaster Centurion 590
I7-920 2.66
smsng 20X DVD RW
2X500g HD raid0
CM V8
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator
Vista� Home Prem X64
CyberPower 800W PSU
ATI HD 4870 1GB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 4:38pm
metalman261,

Sorry to hear that you got so many weird problems with your computer.  Can you please PM me with your customer information and a direct phone number to reach you, so I can work with you over the phone to try and diagnose the problem?  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalman261 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 7:02am
I brought my PC in to where I got the new motherboard and they did a post test on it and it turns out it was the proccessor.. the one thing I did not have an extra of at home to test! Now I need to find out if CP will warranty it, because it is less than 3 years old. I cannot do it through AMD because it is from a reseller (CP) Thank you all for your help!
Salan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 7:18am
Hi

That sucks.  I think CP only warranties hardware for one year.

The best to you and I hope you can get your rig running soon.

Alan
CM HAF
I7 950
Zalman 9900LED
EVGA Classifed
12G Corsair Dom 1600
2 X BFG 285 OCXs
LG BR Bnr, LG DVD Bnr
2 x WD 1T Blk
W7 Ult 64 Bit
Cyber_Tech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyber_Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 11:31am
Metalman261,

Please PM me your customer ID and I will look into if you are still under our one year warranty. It is over a year from the Original Date of Purchase, you will need to contact AMD directly for replacement. You mentioned that AMD would not honor a CPU replacement above. Please include some details of your contact with AMD in your Private message to me and I will look into this further and see if we can help you out with our partner.
Regards Cyber_tech
Tech Support 888-900-5180/877-876-4965 or 626-869-0228.
Email:techsupport@cyberpowerpc.com
Please email rma.status@cyberpowerpc.com for status checks on RMA or repairs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic