FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

New Graphics Card Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmaulden64 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmaulden64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Graphics Card Help
    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm
I currently have an NVidia GTX 1070 (MSI motherboard, Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, 16 gig memory).  BTW I posted earlier asking for advice on a PSU because I have the dreaded Apevia 800W power supply.  The replacement is coming tomorrow (thanks for the suggestions).

So now I'm wondering about a possible Graphics card upgrade.  I am a heavy VR user and play some non-VR Steam games.  While I have a little extra to spend I'm wondering two things.  One, can I get a BIG improvement over what I currently have for under $500, and two, is there a simple way to look at the specs on a card and determine whether it is better than mine?  There are so many out there made by different manufacturers.  I assumed that any number higher than '1070' was an improvement but I'm not sure - and even if that were the case, I'm not sure if for example a 1080 would be enough of an improvement to make a difference.

As always, thanks for your suggestions.
3897@ View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3897@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm
Depends on what you are planing on using for VR

if you are planing on high end vr then you will want a nvidia but your looking at 700.00 for a 2060 super alone

however if you are planing on oculus link your looking at a RX580 which would run you around 200.00 for a 8 gig model on amazon.

but you will also need to install msi afterburner for this card to keep the gpu fans on all the time the smart fans are not good and manual fan control is better for the RX580
PhilipNikko View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipNikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 1:37am
You should think about 3070 at least, or 3080 if it possible
The cheapest solution is 2070 super. 
Nothing,below 2070S is actual now

Edited by PhilipNikko - 23 Sep 2020 at 1:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic