Order online or Call (800)707-0393
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

New Graphics Card Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kmaulden64 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmaulden64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Graphics Card Help
    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm
I currently have an NVidia GTX 1070 (MSI motherboard, Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, 16 gig memory).  BTW I posted earlier asking for advice on a PSU because I have the dreaded Apevia 800W power supply.  The replacement is coming tomorrow (thanks for the suggestions).

So now I'm wondering about a possible Graphics card upgrade.  I am a heavy VR user and play some non-VR Steam games.  While I have a little extra to spend I'm wondering two things.  One, can I get a BIG improvement over what I currently have for under $500, and two, is there a simple way to look at the specs on a card and determine whether it is better than mine?  There are so many out there made by different manufacturers.  I assumed that any number higher than '1070' was an improvement but I'm not sure - and even if that were the case, I'm not sure if for example a 1080 would be enough of an improvement to make a difference.

As always, thanks for your suggestions.
3897@ View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3897@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm
Depends on what you are planing on using for VR

if you are planing on high end vr then you will want a nvidia but your looking at 700.00 for a 2060 super alone

however if you are planing on oculus link your looking at a RX580 which would run you around 200.00 for a 8 gig model on amazon.

but you will also need to install msi afterburner for this card to keep the gpu fans on all the time the smart fans are not good and manual fan control is better for the RX580
PhilipNikko View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilipNikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 1:37am
You should think about 3070 at least, or 3080 if it possible
The cheapest solution is 2070 super. 
Nothing,below 2070S is actual now

Edited by PhilipNikko - 23 Sep 2020 at 1:37am
donta1979 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donta1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:38pm
If you are playing at 1080p you should consider a RTX 3060 or 3060 TI, if you play at 1440p you should at least consider a RTX 3070 at a minimum.  With your budget you only have two options the NVIDIA RTX 3070 that comes straight from nvidia or the RTX 3060 or 3060 TI.

Honestly the GTX 1080 I have one in my aging pc, and its just not enough these days. at least for 1440p if you plan on playing newer games. Oh wow this is an old post haha.

Edited by donta1979 - 04 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm
Retired AAA Game Environment Artist. Living the Dream or at least trying to.
USAF,USARNG, Army Combat Veteran
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 4:43am
"Honestly the GTX 1080 I have one in my aging pc, and its just not enough these days. at least for 1440p if you plan on playing newer games."

What are you doing? I play almost all my games at 1440P ultra or at least high with a 1070Ti. There are exceptions like Control, Metro, Battlefield V but with most games a 1070Ti, 1080, 5700XT are just fine. A 3060 would also be fine for 1440P.
Beware of liars whose aim is to deceive. They present a positive spin no matter how atrocious the situation really is
donta1979 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donta1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Notanymore Notanymore wrote:

"Honestly the GTX 1080 I have one in my aging pc, and its just not enough these days. at least for 1440p if you plan on playing newer games."

What are you doing? I play almost all my games at 1440P ultra or at least high with a 1070Ti. There are exceptions like Control, Metro, Battlefield V but with most games a 1070Ti, 1080, 5700XT are just fine. A 3060 would also be fine for 1440P.

All three Metro games and their redux's for the first two, The Outer Worlds, The Witcher III, Doom Eternal,  CP 2077. They are all not fine at 1440p if you like eye candy unfortunately.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 7:38am
"All three Metro games and their redux's for the first two, The Outer Worlds, The Witcher III, Doom Eternal,  CP 2077. They are all not fine at 1440p"

WUT?! I run Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, first 2 Metro games at 1440P ultra only on a 1070Ti and it's fine. I play Quake Champions 1440P ultra. Third Metro game I can't. Outer Worlds no way and i don't have Witcher so I don't know about that game. CP 2077 I'm never buying that game. You running antivirus? Might try uninstalling it totally. I have to go check my settings but I'm pretty sure I run Project Cars 2 too at 1440p ultra with Vsync. 

Edited by Notanymore - 06 Feb 2021 at 7:41am
Beware of liars whose aim is to deceive. They present a positive spin no matter how atrocious the situation really is

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 11:40am
What is the problem I don't get it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke5QpM7gWig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySuQsmFqQRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWbjaWmnaQo

Both the 1080 and 1070Ti are basically 1440p cards. That had better be for $500 a pop back then. What people don't realize is GPU prices today are grossly inflated. 

donta1979 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donta1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Notanymore Notanymore wrote:

"<span style="font-family: Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb251, 251, 253;">All three Metro games and their redux's for the first two, The Outer Worlds, The Witcher III, Doom Eternal,† CP 2077. They are all not fine at 1440p"</span>
<span style="font-family: Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb251, 251, 253;">WUT?! I run Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, first 2 Metro games at 1440P ultra only on a 1070Ti and it's fine. I play Quake Champions 1440P ultra. Third Metro game I can't. Outer Worlds no way and i don't have Witcher so I don't know about that game. CP 2077 I'm never buying that game. You running antivirus? Might try uninstalling it totally. I have to go check my settings but I'm pretty sure I run Project Cars 2 too at 1440p ultra with Vsync.†</span>

<span style="font-family: Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;">Nope no anti virus, nothing been gaming for a long long time know better. Doom Eternal will run into places with some massive drops that are noticeable just due to the massive drop while still keeping a high FPS count yet you feel the drop in the game play and its very noticeable the whole going from 14X FPS down to into the 70's all of a sudden. Metro 2033 is running on the Last Light Engine and Last Light Redux is on the same engine as Exodus I do believe, big FPS drops when things get crazy Like going from 80+ down to high 30's to 40's in a mere second. The Outer worlds with FPS dropping into the 30's with all the eye candy turned on. Cyberpunk 2077 is pure out amazing but the card cannot even keep up all settings are set to medium, high, to ultra, with the EZ Configuration Mod. average FPS is 30-50, with drops down to 28 at times.† Have over 180 hours put into CP 2077.</span><br style="font-family: Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><font face="Roboto, Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1070 Ti and a 1080 are both barely 1440p cards if you like eye candy in newer titles, once you start moving to newer gen and newer tech they become more like 1080p cards. Now the RTX 3070 is the new 1440p card and the 3080 is the overkill of 1440p if you like all eye candy. Those videos would also matter some if the rest of my system was the same, its eight years old. A 4 almost 5 year old video card, and an 8 year old cpu/mobo are way past their prime, especially after the cpu architecture†performance nerf that came to all OS's that came after the exploit vulnerability on CPU's.

If you want to see where a 1080 or a guesstimate of the 1070 TI stands in todayís more demanding games.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9737/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-6800-xt/index.html

Edited by donta1979 - 16 Feb 2021 at 7:57am
Mandanicole_11 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandanicole_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:30pm
Hi I was wondering if you could possibly help me out with a question about my sons gaming computer. So a few weeks ago it started to say there was no HDMI input. So I took it to Best Buy twice and both times they said it was fixed but when I got it home it would work for a few hours snd then back to same thing. Now I just took it again and they ďthinkĒ itís the graphics card. I have no clue about gaming computers and I canít get ahold of this company to order a new one or see what they say. How do I figure out what graphics card I need. Best Buy hasnít been any help and they said the graphics card I have now is discontinued but the computer is only 14 months old. Iím lost lol if you could help it would be greatly appreciated. 😊
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic