New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New $2000+ machine crashes every 5 minutes gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New $2000+ machine crashes every 5 minutes gaming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
majorcat View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majorcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New $2000+ machine crashes every 5 minutes gaming
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:46pm
Witcher 3, Diablo 3, Overwatch, and Rust -

Cannot play any of them for more than 5 minutes. I've only had the machine a week. Non-gaming it is fine, but if I fire up any game, I get a Windows 10 BSOD or the game just crashes. All kinds of different vague hardware errors. I'm hearing a lot of people say the PSUs that come on these machines is not capable enough to handle the hardware the machine was shipped with. Is this a possibility? How is that acceptable?

This is a fresh build of Win 10 from the factory and all i've installed on it is Steam and a few games, those mentioned earlier.

This is the machine I bought. This is not a cheap computer. Any ideas?:

CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Master 2007 GM2007LQ Ryzen 7 1800X (3.60 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 4 TB HDD 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230200

jsonsonson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jsonsonson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 2:57pm
That is the risk you take when purchasing via a third party retailer. It all depends on what they (Newegg) purchase and resell to their customers.

Like you said, the issue is probably the PSU. Standards PSUs are pretty terrible - they end up frying systems. Also, that listing didn't name the brand of RAM that you got - I wonder if its cheap RAM? Download and run Memtest (https://www.memtest86.com/) to figure if either of your sticks are bad. If that's fine, then my guess would be that it's your PSU. You could either replace that with a name brand one, or return the machine to Newegg (if it's in their policy).

If you go the return route and are able to return it, come back to the forums and we'll help you out with a good build that will live longer (and probably be cheaper). To be honest, that machine is overkill for typical gaming, unless if you're doing 4K or using 3+ monitors.
TECHLORD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TECHLORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 5:23pm
That looks like a powerful, if not overpriced rig. One thing, a single fan liquid cooled 120mm radiator will not handle the heat of that CPU, and could be causing the crashes. If there's not push-pull fans, (1 in front of the radiator to push air thru it, and 1 behind and mounted right against the case which sucks the warm CPU air out of the radiator and vents it out the case), you'd need to at least add the 2nd fan, or even goto 240mm cooling then (240 wouldn't require the push-pull configuration). And also, since heat can be blamed for a lot of lockups, the case should have at least 3 fans, not counting the CPU cooler or the one in the PSU, if there aren't, you'd need to add also. Good fans (120mm) are $10 each or less, I'm sure there's at least 1 in there already.

As Json said, if the PSU is a 'standard', get something 700-850W on Newegg, Gold rated (or at least Bronze), try Tt, CM, EVGA, Corsair (not the 'CX' line), XFX, or SeaSonic.

EDIT  --  It's looks like you might have a front and rear fan already, so maybe just add 1 more in front to be OK. That top Ryzen chip will heat things up inside, keeping the case well ventilated lengthens the life of your components, and prevents throttling or heat-related crashes.

Edited by TECHLORD - 27 Jul 2017 at 5:30pm
If it doesn't Light Up, Turn On, or Plug In, I don't want it!

You kill a few people, and they call you a Murderer! Kill a few MILLION, and you're a Conqueror. Go Figure!!
majorcat View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majorcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:56pm
I think you guys are on to something. The Zotec 1080ti is overclocked from factory.

I believe it is overheating. I underclocked the Zotec.

So far it is running stable now on D3.

I'll report back on the heavy hitters like Witcher3. Thanks!

Edited by majorcat - 27 Jul 2017 at 8:58pm
TECHLORD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TECHLORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 9:05pm
Does that GPU have the single blower type fan, or twin fans? That's where internal cooling can also make a diff. You also can get better brands of GPU's here. You can D/L free MSI AfterBurner, works w/ any brand GPU, that lets you adjust the GPU fan curves so they come on earlier, and spin faster.

You kill a few people, and they call you a Murderer! Kill a few MILLION, and you're a Conqueror. Go Figure!!
majorcat View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majorcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
Oddly the Zotec 1080ti "Blower" only has one fan. My last gpu had 3

Zotec has a tuning tool and currently fan is set to auto.

Edited by majorcat - 27 Jul 2017 at 10:09pm
TECHLORD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TECHLORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 10:08pm
2 or 3 fan GPU models are less likely to overheat, and throttle and crash the system.

GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 5:19am
Sounds like you got it. You may be bale to add additional fans to help the GPU out.

If you keep crashing here are a couple of free programs to help you track it down.

You can also run Speed Fan or HWI monitor to keep an eye on system temps.

For the heck of it I would also run Memtest to verify there are no RAM errors.

Of course also verify you don't have the mostly fatal standard PSU.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic