Need Help? We're here for you.
Order online or Call (800)707-0393
Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Network adapter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
drummermg131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drummermg131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Network adapter?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:00am

For years, I've had trouble getting a reliable wireless internet connection in my bedroom. Laptops have trouble, desktop computers have trouble, my PSP and DS lite have lots of trouble, and let's not even get me started on my Wii or PS3. I wish I could honestly drop the subject altogether, but I'm the one who just brought it up because I'd like to get it all resolved once and for all.

Last week, I bought a NETGEAR - RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch in an effort to boost my connection from G to N. The only problem - something I didn't know before buying it - is that it requires that my computer has a wireless network adapter. The computer hooked up with our modem doesn't have one of those. Thinking I could bypass this little problem, I ordered a TRENDnet TEW-647GA Wireless Gaming Adapter, but alas, it requires the computer hooked up to your modem and router has a wireless network adapter as well!

So where am I going with this? I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which network adapter I should get? Also, out of curiosity, are they hard to install? Do you just open up one of the slots in the back, stick it in, and throw in an installation disc?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/explanations.

Txstcatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txstcatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:38am
Hmmm kinda confused.  I've got a Netgear N Router that's hooked into the cable modem at our house.  We have 3 netbooks and one desktop all getting service through the router wirelessly.  None of them are hardwire connected.

Now, if you have a computer sitting next to the modem/router, you can hardwire it in via one of the ethernet ports in back with one of the numbered ports.  Anything else looking to receive a internet signal, though, will need some form or wireless connectivity.  Brands don't necessarily have to match in this case, as you should be able to hook up any wireless capable device to the network.

As for what kind of adapter to get, it depends on whether you want to get inside your computer to install a PCI card (I've found these tend to work a little better) or simply opt for a USB adapter.  Either one will work, you just have to install drivers.  Using the included software is up to you, but I tend to just use Windows to configure wireless connections.
CM Storm Scout
AMD Phenom II x4 965
GA-890FXA-UD5
CM V8
4gb A-Data 1600Mhz
Crossfired Sapphire 5850 1gb
950w Corsair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drummermg131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 10:52am
When I went to setup the Netgear wireless N router, at one point early on, it began checking for connectivity with my network adapter. It failed because the computer hooked up to the modem (because this comp. is old and doesn't have wireless capabilities...yet) doesn't have an adapter. That's where I'm stuck because the gaming adapter requires the router and the router requires an adapter.

When I bought my own personal desktop PC from this site early last year, I got it with a PCI card and all I remember having to do with it is attach the external antenna. If that's typically all that is required, then I'm definitely on-board. I'm just looking for easy. This adapter probably doesn't need to be the best out there; really, it just needs to exist so I can set up and install the other two items.

In regards to the drivers, in my recent research, I've heard a similar sentiment that it's often best to avoid the installation disc and instead, either go on the manufacturer's website to find them or like you said, use Windows.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txstcatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:07am
Whether you have DSL or Cable or whatnot, the modem and router should connect together without issue.  The ports on the router are labeled to show input/output signals.

If you have a computer that is going to connect that sits nearby, then perhaps using a CAT5 cable will work easier.  Just hook it up to Port 1.

If everything else is wireless connectivity, you should be able to connect easily.  Now, if this gaming adapter you bought isn't itself a wireless network adapter, then it may not be necessary at all.  You can just get a Wireless N adapter in either PCI or USB and install it on your PC, then connect to the router.  If you get PCI, it'll have those antennae, but you also have to install it on the motherboard.  The USB is straight forward, but sometimes signals aren't as strong.  Either is easy to do as they're all plug and play now.

EDIT:  Ok I just looked up that adapter you bought.  If your PS3, Wii, and other devices are all "wireless ready", you don't really need this gaming adapter.  All you need is a Wireless router connected to your modem, and PCI/USB adapters for any desktop/laptop that wants to hook up to the network.  Your wireless ready devices should easily find the new router network.

Edited by Txstcatman - 08 Apr 2010 at 11:10am
CM Storm Scout
AMD Phenom II x4 965
GA-890FXA-UD5
CM V8
4gb A-Data 1600Mhz
950w Corsair
jhughes2466 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhughes2466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 12:28pm
It should go like this:

Modem > Wireless router hooked into output section > all systems up and running via wireless adapter getting signal from wireless router.

However if you have a computer without a wireless adapter and you need to hook it up directly to the modem, instead try one of the extra output plugs from the wireless, usually they are setup like a router. The ONLY thing I could think of is you have a hub rather than a router and it is trying to assign systems the same IP address in which case you will either need to update them manually OR get a router.
Computer Advice - To Learn, simply click
For the people, by the people

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drummermg131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Txstcatman Txstcatman wrote:

If everything else is wireless connectivity, you should be able to connect easily.  Now, if this gaming adapter you bought isn't itself a wireless network adapter, then it may not be necessary at all.  You can just get a Wireless N adapter in either PCI or USB and install it on your PC, then connect to the router.  If you get PCI, it'll have those antennae, but you also have to install it on the motherboard.  The USB is straight forward, but sometimes signals aren't as strong.  Either is easy to do as they're all plug and play now.

EDIT:  Ok I just looked up that adapter you bought.  If your PS3, Wii, and other devices are all "wireless ready", you don't really need this gaming adapter.  All you need is a Wireless router connected to your modem, and PCI/USB adapters for any desktop/laptop that wants to hook up to the network.  Your wireless ready devices should easily find the new router network.

Why must wireless internet be so confusing, heheh? Seriously, I'm getting a headache trying to make sense of some of what you're all saying (not that I don't appreciate everything you're telling me).

Anyway, the part I've quoted above actually made perfect sense to me and is definitely what I was hoping to hear, almost like a confirmation of what I already knew. On the box for the router I bought, it flat out says I need a "2.4GHz 802.11n draft 2.0 specification router OR 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g wireless adapter", something I didn't notice until I began the installation process.

So yes, if I get the adapter for the PC and install the router and my PS3 picks up a strong signal, then I can return the gaming adapter. Really, I only bought that for any of two reasons: 1) I was hoping to bypass the issue with the router installation by just getting the little gaming adapter to work instead (too bad it NEEDS a router) and 2) just in case it turns out the router's not enough to get the PS3 sufficiently online (which is definitely a possibility, given my family's horribly frustrating history with internet connections in general).

Now you said USB adapters' signals might not be that strong, but if the tower it's getting plugged into is literally sitting right next to where the modem and this new router will be sitting (perhaps a foot or two lower), is it really going to be an issue? I mean, that's about as close as you can get!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txstcatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 6:56am
If the desktop is going to be sitting within 5 feet of the router, you wouldn't need to spend $20+ for an adapter.  You would be able to plug in the ethernet port directly from the motherboard to one of the 4 ports on the back of the wireless router.  Most routers should have them, unless their a very cheap model/solution.  In the case of the computer being so close to the router, it's likely a lot cheaper getting an ethernet cord to connect rather than an adapter.  The only good the adapter will do is being able to move the pc to a different part of the house.
CM Storm Scout
AMD Phenom II x4 965
GA-890FXA-UD5
CM V8
4gb A-Data 1600Mhz
950w Corsair
BinaryBummer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryBummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:12am
I think it is fair to say when you enter into networking you are now in a whole new realm. Networking can be simple and can be extremely complicated.
Try to relax and take a area of it at one time rather then trying to get it all hooked up and going.
Networking has RULES.  they have to be done in order or things don't work right. Say that you have things hooked up do you have any security enabled and if so you may need to know what the security code is to enter into other puters etc.  Yes when you hook it up it should recognize your items you plug in, but whether you can access them is another thing. Hence the rules.
Here is a link to a basic wireless for begginers to help you understand more at your pace. Then you can ask question. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/set-up-a-wireless-router-or-access-point.html
 It is really hard for anyone to tell you exactly how to do it up due to everyones puters and networks differ some by make and models and slight features.
Post us back!

Include your Customer Order Number in your post if you are having Issues This helps Tech Support to review your system.
Times, dates, phone/cell number/s you can be contacted at.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drummermg131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by BinaryBummer BinaryBummer wrote:

I think it is fair to say when you enter into networking you are now in a whole new realm. Networking can be simple and can be extremely complicated.
Try to relax and take a area of it at one time rather then trying to get it all hooked up and going.
Networking has RULES.  they have to be done in order or things don't work right. Say that you have things hooked up do you have any security enabled and if so you may need to know what the security code is to enter into other puters etc.  Yes when you hook it up it should recognize your items you plug in, but whether you can access them is another thing. Hence the rules.
Here is a link to a basic wireless for begginers to help you understand more at your pace. Then you can ask question. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/set-up-a-wireless-router-or-access-point.html
 It is really hard for anyone to tell you exactly how to do it up due to everyones puters and networks differ some by make and models and slight features.
Post us back!

Well, initially I just came here hoping for some suggestions as to which network adapter I should get. But now I've gotten some other suggestions entirely! Thanks for that link, btw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drummermg131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Txstcatman Txstcatman wrote:

If the desktop is going to be sitting within 5 feet of the router, you wouldn't need to spend $20+ for an adapter.  You would be able to plug in the ethernet port directly from the motherboard to one of the 4 ports on the back of the wireless router.  Most routers should have them, unless their a very cheap model/solution.  In the case of the computer being so close to the router, it's likely a lot cheaper getting an ethernet cord to connect rather than an adapter.  The only good the adapter will do is being able to move the pc to a different part of the house.

I'm looking at the setup instructions for the Netgear router I bought. Step 1: Connect your modem to the internet. Step 2: Connect your router to the modem. Step 3: Connect your computer (desktop or laptop) to the router. Step 4: Power on your modem. Step 5: Power on your router. Step 6: Insert the installation CD.

I believe Step 3 is what you're talking about? In which case, I did just that but still ran into the problem I described of it not finding the network adapter (again, because there is none) and thus, stopping the installation process completely.

If you're saying there's a way to connect the router to the computer with an ethernet cord such that this alternative setup would be in place of a network adapter and still manage to get the installation to continue past this part I'm stuck on, how would that work exactly? Or am I just talking nonsense again... =/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic