FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My i7-5820k / GTX 970

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kevolu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kevolu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My i7-5820k / GTX 970
    Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 9:48pm
Alright, guys. I've been messing around with my PC non stop since getting it so I'm a little late getting this up here. I'll edit this as I go and give more reviews on the PC, build quality, components etc. I guess I will just post my build and review in this single thread.

So far I haven't had any major problems with the PC itself. When it showed up, the two front fans weren't connected. One came loose and the other was never plugged in. I moved the wires to the LED's. They just stuffed them into my HDD cages from the front which looked pretty ugly, honestly. So I cut the zip ties and moved them to the back of the case. I also changed around a couple of the wires on the bottom of the Mobo because they were blocking the OC Genie, power, reset button and Debug LED on the Mobo. Why they did it is beyond me. I have one more cable to adjust. The Mini USB cable that attaches to the H110i Cooler's pump runs down to the bottom of the board. Instead of running it up and over to go behind and up from the bottom they ran it straight down my Mobo which I don't like. All these things mentioned are little things that truly don't matter but do make a difference to me.

I do want to point out that I normally build my own PC and for a couple reasons went with CyberPower for this build. As someone that has a very high standard for my PC's I can honestly say CyberPower did do a very good job on this build.

I guess I should state the basics of this build.

CPU - I7-5820k
GPU - MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V
Motherboard - MSI x99a Gaming 7
CPU Cooler - Corsair H110i GT
Ram - A-Data XPG 2800MHz 4x4 16GB
PSU - EVGA Supernova GS 850w
SSD - 250GB Samsung EVO
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Case - Corsair 750D

As far as the components go. I will refrain from judging them to much just yet. I will say I don't like Seagate Hard drives and have had bad experiences with them in the past. I will always choose Western Digital over Seagate.

The MSI Motherboard has a great Bios. It was so easy to navigate and OC my CPU.

The MSI 970 is probably the most overclockable GPU I've ever had. Even after ramping the Voltage up it was still staying below 60 degrees. Please don't touch voltage guys. I probably shouldn't even bring it up.

I will add more stuff in awhile including pictures.

Kevolu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kevolu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:01pm
So I decided to OC my CPU, GPU, and Ram.

I started with the CPU and found a spot I was comfortable with and the PC was stable. After I found a good spot being about 4.5GHz with the Voltage at 1.265 I enabled XMP to get my Ram to the 2800MHz. I am going to push it a bit more because my temps are really good still and my Voltage can go up a bit more.

After getting to 2800MHz with XMP my CPU is now about 4.455 I believe it is and completely stable after running Prime95 Ver 26.6 for quite awhile.

Next was obviously the GPU. Using MSI Afterburner I was able to keep it stable about +175 Core and +525 Memory. I don't run it that high all the time though. I'm keeping it about +127(1430) Core and +380(3888) memory for everyday use.

I also ran quite a few benchmarks and am very happy with the results. I'm seeing about a 25% increase in performance from my CPU according to PassMark Performance Test 8.

Here is a link below to pictures of Benchmarks, Temps, and my Overclock Numbers with the MSI GTX 970 and i7 5820k CPU. A couple of the benchmark results show stock 5820k and 6700k CPU results along with some owners of the 5820k and 6700k getting very lucky in the lottery and OC'ing them to the max. I've yet to hit my CPU and GPU's limit so honestly not sure what my max is. I said I would be happy if I hit 4.4GHz on my CPU and I did that fairly easy.

http://imgur.com/a/C68EF

Edited by Kevolu - 09 Dec 2015 at 10:04pm
Kevolu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kevolu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:27pm
Okay, here are some pictures of my PC. The bottom two show the LED cable mess I was talking about and the USB cable.

Some pictures show the case being messy because they were taken right when I got it and it had tape etc. all over it. Also the mess around the PC is organized also after I got everything situated the way I want it. I can't stand a cluttered cable situation.

The link is below.

http://imgur.com/a/DKebC

Like I previously said I fully plan on giving some more detailed reviews of the ordering process, build quality, components etc. I will probably type up a CyberPower review where it is supposed to go and review the components on this thread.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:19am
Man, really nice review, that thing rocks. A lot of room. I am seeing modular HD cages?

Thumbs Up
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

ThroatPunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThroatPunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 6:17am
Nice setup Kev. Did you pay for "professional wiring"? I did, but I have the feeling that since I ordered during the Black Friday rush, they might not take advantage of all the cable management tricks that my case has (Enthoo Pro M). Luckily, I am more than comfortable to reroute cables as needed. I have PC-OCD, so a cluttered mess will cause me to twitch uncontrollably!
Kevolu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevolu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 1:26pm
throatPunch- I don't think it will matter too much. They do this for a living. If they can't plan out their wiring before routing them then something is wrong.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThroatPunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 1:34pm
It probably depends on the tech working on it. I've seen people who paid for the professional wiring, and that just involved a few zip ties.
Kevolu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevolu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 1:35pm
Yep. I plan on taking advantage of them so I can get more fans in there. not a big fan of them across the bottom. What I should do is get rid of this old slow technology and go to only SSD's then I could remove them all together.

I was kind of hoping they would install the SSD on the back wall to begin with. There are 4 or so slots going down the back right side under the CD Drive to place SSD's so you don't have to have the HD cages in your case.

Thanks for checking it out, though!
Kevolu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevolu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 1:38pm
The Mobo can play a part in it also. Sometimes I'm not a huge fan of the layout of some mobo's. A poor layout can cause a wiring job to be a lot harder. Also depends on what components you have, what case you chose etc.

I'm sure they will do a fine job on your PC. You have a really easy case to Wire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThroatPunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:57pm
I opted for the RGB lighting, only because it was free, and I can see that causing a lot of extra clutter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic