Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Know Nothing about computers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bearcat22 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearcat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Know Nothing about computers
    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
I currently have an HP desktop model p6710f running Windows 7.

I purchased it in 2011 for $449.00, brand new, with OS preinstalled.    It has run nearly every day, usually 24 hours a day.  I'm afriad it may be
about to die.

I recently negotiated with my internet service provider for an increase from 25 mbps to 155 mbps.
Unfortuantely I did not realize that my machine is unable to handle speeds over 100 mbps.

I have noticed a lot of lag on the internet, and the computer is slow to turn on and very slow to launch or close any program.  Internet and printer are hardwired, not wireless.

The printer is also HP, yet when I try to print something, about 80% of the time it shows up in the list of pending print jobs, but nothing happens, even if you leave it overnight!  

I like a lot of speed, and I like a lot of internet browser tabs open all at the same time.  I want to be running that game Civ 4, Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, notepad and a few other pages all open at the same time.

Civ 4 freezes up and crashes all the time.  It is a Steam Download.

Hulu kept crashing, and their "solution" was that I had to switch to the Chrome browser.
I was surprised how much faster Chrome was than Firefox.  I'm told that is because it is unsafe.

I updated and ran Malwarebytes, nothing was found.  Then I learned it does nothing to find "adware"!  I ran their adware thing and it found 55 things that had not shown up when I edited what programs are installed.

Itunes always totally freezes the computer and makes it impossible to run anything else. Even Task Manager won't launch.  I have to physically unplug the computer to get Itunes to let go.

Microsoft Word Starter takes six years to start up, and also makes it impossible to run anything else. Takes four years to save or print a document, if it will even print at all.

So, long story short, I'm considering buying a new desktop PC.

I want a guarntee / warranty that is not going to make me ship it back and forth at my own expense to someplace like china to get it fixed.

I don't want to spend over $500, including shipping.  To save cost, I want it to work with my current monitor, an Auria LJ230

I don't want an off lease or a refurbished.

Nice if it would have a couple of USB ports in the front.

I've got a wireless mouse and keyboard and speakers already.

I'd like the new machine to be able to handle the 155 mbps speed.

I'd like it to run about twice as fast with programs as the current machine.  I don't know what has to change for that to happen.  I've only got 4 gb ram right now.  

I'd like to retain the fairly huge hard drive capacity of 1 terrabyte.

I wouldn't mind if it could handle modern games without freezing up.  I download a demo these days, and nothing will run.  I'm kinda sick of not being able to play anything but Civ 4.

I totally despise the windows 10 interface, but I don't think you can get anything like what I want that runs Windows 7.  So it has to be incredibly easy to force the machine to have an interface exactly like Win 7.  I have years of muscle memory invested in the interface and do not want to change.

Would be nice if it did not come with any junk preloaded like trial software.

Mageman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mageman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:47pm
Well you are out of luck you can not get a machine here for $500 ............  or any other gaming pc web site...............
Come join Riders of the Rebellion!!
USAF1123 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USAF1123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 1:12am
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is 2018, you're not going to find anything for under $500 that will play games. The closest thing to $500 would be a basic i5 laptop like you pick up at best buy using integrated graphics. You could probably play some games on very low graphics settings. My buddy has an i7 surface pro that he plays civ 5 on a lot, but it's not stellar looking. And Surface Pro's are $1200+. 

If you are only concerned about internet any modern system should be able to give you fast internet, even a chrome book. I don't think I've seen anything running 155mbps though. I know the wifi card in my XB1X is capable of hitting over 70mbps and I consider that extremely fast. You only need 40mbps to stream 4K. 155mbps running into your router is for multiple systems. For example, I am gaming on the desktop while Youtube is playing music, using about 70mbps and at the same time my buddy is watching Netflix in the other room using 40mbps for a total of 110mbps. 

You can build a 1080p gaming rig for under $1000 if you wanted to, but for that level performance I'd say you're better off just getting an XB1X since it also functions as a media center and blu ray player. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic