FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Helping son build PC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dairyu View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dairyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helping son build PC
    Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 7:41pm
Hello Everyone,

This is the first gaming PC we are building/buying for our son except we don't know too much and I could use some help.  He will mainly be playing online shooting games such as Titan Fall 2 and we'd like this to last a good few years while still being able to upgrade parts as needed.  We're hoping to get some opinions/advice on what we have put together so far. 

Here are some of my questions before ordering:  Should it have two cooling fans?  What about a hard drive cooling fan?  Is there enough power/watts?  Did we configure the hard drive correctly (to prevent data loss incase one drive fails)?

Not sure if there is anything else we should add or remove?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)
March Massive Featured Promotions: CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable RGB LED Lighting
Gaming Chassis: Phanteks Eclipse P400 ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, RGB 10 Color LED light Strip (Satin Black w/ Full-Size Tempered Glass)
Laser Engraving: None
Lighting: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 1x interior light strip w/ Remote Controller
Extra Case Fans: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
Freebies: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: CybepowerPC Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: None
Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB GDDR5 Video Card (Single Card)
Sli Bridge: Standard SLI/Crossfire Bridge
EVGA Power: None
Freebies: None
Video Capture Card: None
Power Supply: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (1TB x 2 (1TB Capacity) RAID 1 Data Mirror Security)
Secondary Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Storage: None
Optical Drive: None
Optical Drive 2: None
External Optical Drive: None
WiDi Router: None
Internal Wireless Network Card: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
LCD Monitor: None
Cables: None
Speakers: None
Internal Network Card: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express
Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: CyberpowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: None
Headset: None
Gaming Apparel: None
Gaming Gear: None
Fan Controller/Temperature Display: None
Internal USB Expansion Module: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless Routers/Hubs: None
Docking Station: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Video Camera: None
Power & Surge Protection: None
USB Hub & Port: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub
External USB ADAPTER: None
Security Software: None
Professional Wiring: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System
Ultra Care Option: None
Warranty: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
Service: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
Rush Service: Standard processing time: ship within 5 to 10 Business Days
TECHLORD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TECHLORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:02pm
NEVER GET THE STD. PSU!!!!

DON'T WASTE $35 on a NIC, it's on the MoBo!!!

You don't need a HD cooler.

Free U/G to the faster 8350 from the 8320.

YOU  **  MUST  **  at least push-pull the CPU fans, or better yet get a 240mm cooler, w/AMD, they run VERY HOT and your config is not sufficient to handle the heat of that CPU!!

You have 2 kybds, the CP RGB model is better.

I would add fans - for only $9 you get 3 extra. W/  *2*  AMD branded 'heat producing' components, case cooling is essential. You should have at least 2 or 3, and 1 is never enuf (W/ AMD products, at least 3 are recommended).

Why choose only 1600Mhz RAM when the faster 2133 is std? And you get branded ADATA rather than unknown, possibly lower end ("Major (unknown) Brand") generic modules. Switch back, no cost extra.

You should have a SSD for the OS and programs/Apps. 240GB is a good size. Most ppl don't mirror the drives for backup. You should have your files/data backed up on flash drives or optical media (I do). The OS and pgms would be on the SSD. Not sure what to say abt whether you need the redundance, but that is the right config for it. See what others say. A lot of ppl "clone" the OS disk onto external or flash drives, or the 2nd larger internal drive. Or you can create a similar "System Image" on the other drive. Up to you.

PRO WIRING IS A WASTE (you seem to be on a tighter budget). as is the USB internal hub.

Your GPU is very weak for gaming, and will be fairly outdated after a few yrs. AMD CPU"s barely stack up against Intel i5's, they usually even struggle to equal them, and they use more power and produce more heat. 600W is barely enuf for an AMD CPU + GPU w/ RAID drives and maybe a 3rd, 3 or 4 fans, light strip, etc. If you do stick w/ this config, at least the sale priced EVGA 850W PSU, MUCH more reliable than any non-branded 1, will have you covered there.

Add the 1 yr shipping warranty, or you will have to pay rtn shipping for this heavy item if it needs to be sent back for repairs to CP, this $10 warranty would cover you for the same 1 year term as the full parts warranty, well worth it.

If you can get this over $1000, you get 5% off by using the code spring0410. I would really invest in an Intel i5 rig for gaming, maybe 1050ti, GTX 1060, or AMD RX 480 if you're budget is tighter, GTX 1070 is over $100 more but will play all games at or close to top settings, and will for some yrs to come. At least consider the AMD Ryzen 1700 or 1700X, which are much more powerful than the dated AMD 6/8/9 series, and run cooler, tho still hotter than Intel. You can also game well on only 8GB RAM, tho 16 is still a good multi-purpose choice. Let us know how high your budget can go.

Edited by TECHLORD - 26 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
If it doesn't Light Up, Turn On, or Plug In, I don't want it!

You kill a few people, and they call you a Murderer! Kill a few MILLION, and you're a Conqueror. Go Figure!!
Smoknjoe24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoknjoe24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:44am
There is a free upgrade from the 460 to the 470, but I agree with Tech, I just priced all the same specs on a i5-7600k system and it came out right around the same price point. AMD system $1068 vs Intel system $1062.

If you have the money and want to ensure this system will be good for 3-5 yrs to come, I would suggest a slightly higher starting point. The i5 is good but get a better graphics card. you can get a beast system for around $1200 - $1300 :)

This is a Good future proof system http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JLWVX $1317 or so after code spring0410

You can knock off $115 and get the EVGA SC 1060 or the MSI Gaming X 1060 and still have a great system for about $1208
Dairyu View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dairyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:01am
Wow thanks for the great feedback! We'd like to stay between $1100-1300 but still have the capability to upgrade parts as needed. I will look into pricing out your suggestions tomorrow morning and see how it comes out.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:23am
Intel is the industry leader no doubt. For his use yes you can stick with an AMD cpu. I would look at an Nvidia GPU. They run cooler, use less power & generally are a better GPU when comparing.

Smoknjoe. has a decent build. I would add the ultra care packing option to protect the system from UPS and consider adding an optical drive.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Smoknjoe24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoknjoe24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 4:26pm
Unless he went external, he'd have to change cases for an optical drive Gan.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:31am
Originally posted by Smoknjoe24 Smoknjoe24 wrote:

Unless he went external, he'd have to change cases for an optical drive Gan.

Of course
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

tom789 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:11pm
ยิ้มยิ้มลิ้นยิ้มลิ้นพริบ
qwerty2002 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwerty2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:20pm
Of course, the specification is excellent. ยิ้มยิ้ม
room39 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote room39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:30pm
I'm very happy with this.

Edited by room39 - 19 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic