FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Drive Rails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pfeinauer View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfeinauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Drive Rails
    Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 12:42pm
Hello,

I have recently bought a CyberPower PC s/n bh3000-1191272 from B&H Photo Video (Intel I5-8400, 1TB, GT730 gaming pc).  I cannot find the case vendor, and was assuming it was a Cyber Power PC oem case.

The computer works well so far (I've just booted it up, verified all of the internal hardware as correct, then shut it down) and it seems to work ok.  However, my hard drive was loose in the bottom of the case when received.  The hard drive rail didn't look like it fit, however I am also missing one?  I want to install an SSD and have a couple 2.5in versions.  I understand the motherboard supports the newer technology but wanted to use what I had instead.  

I guess my questions are:

How many hard drive rails is this case supposed to come with?
If I have the wrong hard drive rail, or need to order another, how would I do that?

It almost looks like there is some sort of guide "pin" or something that sticks in the rail through the side that should hold it in place?

-Pat

Edited by pfeinauer - 23 Feb 2019 at 12:59pm
pfeinauer View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfeinauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:46pm
I have resolved the problem with a different solution but it works.  I would like to order the original parts if possible.

I did have a 2nd hard drive caddy but it had fallen down behind the casing.  

I got some motherboard screws, removed the hdd casing and the caddies, screwed the caddy into the rails themselves.  Yes, this does make the rails unusable, however it secures the two devices.  
When screwing the casing back into the case, I noticed the holes for that are a little off, which caused the rails and hard drive to not fit correctly inside the casing, making it a little loose.  So it looks just like a little bit of poor craftsmanship.

What I would need are the tabs, or pins that hold the rails against the HDD casing.  I've seen online Dell offers these little pins ("https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/7050-SFF-HDD-cage-pins/m-p/6091218/highlight/true#M24855") but does Cyberpower or the case manufacturer offer these as well?

-Pat
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 4:50am
Well post your full build specs. The reason I'm asking is it seems you purchased an off the shelf system from a third party. Something if you had checked here is not suggested.

CP often throws in the junk "standard" PSU and lower end RAM.

If you take a photo of the case itself not just the interior we may be able to track it down for you. 

Check your PSU, if it is the junk "standard" or you can't find a name on it, get it out of your system. These provide uneven power (ripples) hard on everything long term. Have a high failure rate and have fried systems. If you have an EVGA, Corsair, Thermaltake, XFX, Coolmaster, Enermax you should be OK.

For sure download and run Memtest. This free program will check the RAM sectors. One bad sector can cause all sorts of weird issues that can be hard to track.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

BubbaBeernut View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BubbaBeernut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 6:01pm
Can anyone answer the original question (without digressing into the evils of off-shelf PSUs)? I, too, am trying to understand how the little black plastic doodads provided in the extra parts bag will hold an HDD in a vacant bay. (Don't need lecture about failing to ask advice here before buying computer, thx anyway.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic