FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GUA1200BST Graphics card upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Murph9761 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph9761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GUA1200BST Graphics card upgrade
    Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 10:00am
My son has the CyberpowerPC GUA1200BST and wants to upgrade his Graphics card to a GeForce 1060.  I have no idea what I am doing and I want to get it for Christmas for him.  Do I need anything other than the graphics card?  Why are some dual fan and some single?  I was trying to research and I am way out of my league here.  Some of the recs were saying you had to make sure that your power cord could handle it?  Can someone help a mom out that has no idea what she is doingLOL?  Basically,  I want to get him the graphics card.  I want to stay around 240.00 and do I need to buy anything else with it?  
Murph9761 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph9761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 10:05am

Model
GUA1200BST
UPC
Hard Drive Capacity
1000 gigabytes
Number Of Internal 3.5" Bays
Number of HDMI Outputs (Total)
Hard Drive Type
SATA
Color
Black
Graphics Type
Discrete
Processor Speed (Base)
3.8 gigahertz
Video Memory
2048 megabytes
Mouse Included
Yes
Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR3 SDRAM
Additional Accessories Included
Keyboard. mouse
Bluetooth Enabled
No
Processor Brand
AMD
Product Name
Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD FX Series - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 460 - 1TB Hard Drive
Brand
CyberPowerPC
Size
Standard
System Memory (RAM)
8 gigabytes
Operating System Architecture
64-bit
Optical Drive Type
None
Cache Memory
4 megabytes
Cooling System
Air
Wireless Networking
Wireless-A
Number Of PCI-E x1 Slots
Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts
1 year
Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 460
Number of DisplayPort Outputs (Total)
System Memory RAM Expandable To
16 gigabytes
Blu-Ray Player
No
Number Of PS/2 Ports
Number Of PCI-E x16 Slots
Color Category
Black
Model Number
GUA1200BST
Operating System
Windows 10
Voice Controlled
None
Number of VGA Ports
Processor Model
AMD FX-Series
Number Of DVI Ports
Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor
1 year
Keyboard Included
Yes
ENERGY STAR Certified
No
Number of USB Ports (Total)
Number Of Ethernet Ports
Internet of Things (IoT) Compatible
No
EPEAT Qualified
No
Hard Drive RPM
7200 revolutions per minute

Here are the specs on it
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:02pm
"Some of the recs were saying you had to make sure that your power cord could handle it?"

No, they are saying the power supply not power cord. His present graphics card is rated at a little less than 75W power consumption. The GTX 1060 is rated at 120W. That is about 45W higher under load so your power supply needs to be able to handle the extra 45W. That is an off the shelf system so I'm guessing it has a 350-400 W PSU in it. If the power supply in it right now is less than 350W you might be cutting it close. The AMD processor in it is rated at 95W. I personally WOULD risk it. I say that because your son is absolutely correct. He does in fact need a newer graphics card if he wants to continue to play the latest games. That RX 460 just ain't gonna cut any more. I have a card that is very close in performance to the RX 460 the HD 7850. I could do some pretty decent gaming on that card still but it was way past time to upgrade. So i ended up spending $2300 on a whole new computer...LOL! Some upgrade. He can still get great frame rates maxed out on 1080P with a lot of games with that RX 460 but some of the newer games will present a problem. No doubt he knows this that is why he asked you for the upgrade. If I were him I would have asked for a GTX 1060 for Christimas too. Smart kid. If the needed power consumption is too great then you'll have to replace the power supply. If the current PSU is sufficient then all you have to do is uninstall the AMD drivers/software and remove the card then plug in the new card and install the Nvidia drivers/software that will come with the card in CD format. Or you can download it if you do not have a CD drive.
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:14pm
"Why are some dual fan and some single?"

That is just part of the cooling of these cards. Basically, Nvidia and AMD licenses partners to manufacture their cards for them. Nvidia and AMD do the research and develop the tech. They then license the partners to manufacture the hardware for them. The partners have leeway as far as the design of the hardware when it comes to things like cooling and OC. AMD and Nvidia will have their own reference cards however branded with their name on it. Some partners choose a single fan design and some choose as many as 3 fans. Hope this helps.

Edited by Notanymore - 16 Dec 2018 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic