FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Job CP - My Buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
70sGamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70sGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Job CP - My Buy
    Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 1:14pm

This is going to be a long post, because I want to get everything in to help anyone who is waiting on their comp anxiously or getting ready to buy, but in a nutshell, my experience buying from CyberPower was absolutely great. Service and hardware. I know only time will tell with any comp, no matter where you buy it from, or build it yourself, but measuring things out, I’m very happy and confident of this PC.

Brief about me. Working on comps since 1983 when I was 13. Got my first comp, Tandy TRS-80 with the cassette tape drive, in 1986. First real comp, Tandy 2500 SX33, in 1993. Windows 3.1. It had 2MB RAM, a HUGE 107MB HD, and  an 11” color monitor. I even went all out and upgraded to the fancy 3.5” floppy drive in addition to the 5.25. Yep, I’ve still got it… and it still boots up fine. I’ve lost count, but I believe I’ve been through 6 desktops and 7 laptops, total. All were bought for video, graphic design, and gaming. Using a little Eee netbook with XP for light internet and on-the-go office capabilities, and the new desktop I’m about to tell you about. For those of ya who teared up from memories, I feel your joy, and pain. LOL OK. That’s where I’m coming from.

I ordered my custom desktop on Thursday, 12/2/2010 with next day shipout. +$109 and standard UPS ground shipping FREE. A CyberPower rep called me later that evening to confirm that I really ordered the PC to prevent fraudulent use of my credit card. Made me feel good about their policy and I told him so. Monday, 12/6 there was a note on my order status page that an invoice had been emailed to me. I got no invoice. I PMed Cyber_HD and he told me that my comp had already been shipped on 12/3! Wow. Shocked Thanks, again, Cyber_HD. So, I re-checked my order and noticed that I’d added an extra letter when I entered my email address. My bad Embarrassed and the reason I didn’t get an invoice email. I called; explained; transferred me to Steve; he changed the address and sent out my invoice. Checked my email 20 seconds later; it was there. Other than needing to switch to decaf, Steve did a prompt job. Thanks again, Steve. The invoice had my tracking numbers. Checked UPS. Said my delivery would be here on 12/9 and it was in fact shipped out on 12/3. UPS brought it 1 day early, Wednesday, 12/8, yesterday.

Unpacked. Opened comp and checked all connections. Not a single thing broken, loose, and the wiring was very tidy. Checked my other 2 packages, monitor and UPS. Perfect. Hooked it all up, fired up fine, Windows came up, set up Windows, sat there with a new shiny desktop, took a deep breath in relief, and smiled.

I’ll post my specs at the end, but I just have to get this in: “Good LORD this things fast!” Star LOL  I learned this after installing my usual video conversion/editing software, 3 heavy games, and other odds and ends. Everything ran like I’ve never seen it run before at max settings on all games and multi-core supported video software.

The only things I had to download and install were the software packages for the SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard and Razor Naga MMOG Mouse. Everything else was there. The following were in the motherboard box: Office 2010 disc nicely sealed, Windows 7 disc, motherboard disc, Blu-ray drive disc, wireless card disc, Game redemption coupons, manuals for motherboard, graphics card, case, wireless card, Bluetooth dongle, and spare parts for the case. Both the keyboard and mouse were in their own manufacturer’s boxes, new.

Final thoughts: I’m going to swap out the power supply later. The graphics card that came with mine, I’ve seen several asking about it, is the Radeon 6870 and the brand is HIS. It runs like a beast. Nothing has gotten warmer than 32-36 degrees Celsius under normal use. Blu-ray movie played great. All ports have power and transfer. I ordered just any RAM and got 4 nice Corsair chips. Windows ratings are from 7.5 to 7.8, except the hard drive, which was a 5.9 because I got a single and not RAID, but is still VERY fast. The power cable to the PC was hidden between documents inside the Ziploc back in the motherboard box. Not funny CP, not funny, at all. Wink

Any questions, fire away.

Best wishes,
70sG

Specs:

CAS: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: LG WH10-LS30K 10X Internal Super Multi Blu-Ray Rewriter [+104] (Black
Color)
CD2: None
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1090T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport
Technology [+56]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
[+15] (Green Color)
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
(Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard [+72]
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module
[+94] (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: 27" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre X270W-1080P LCD Display
w/ Built-in Speaker, DVI, & HDMI-Input [+339]
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support
DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN,
Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge
for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
MOUSE: Razer Naga MMOG 5600 DPI Gaming Mouse [+64]
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI
Ready [+37]
SOFT1: Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Business (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Outlook + OneNote) [+159]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
TEMP: NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum High Performance Fan Control, Clock, &
Temperature Display [+69]
TVRC: None
UPS1: OPTI-UPS ES1500C 1400VA/980W Uninterrupt Power Supply [+189]
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module + USB Bluetooth 2.X
EDR Dongle with Led Light Thumb Size [+29]
VC_PHYSX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+111]
(Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: Zonet ZEW1642S IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter
Network Card [+29]

-
CM 690 II Gaming Case
870A-UD3 Mobo - 8GB RAM
AMD 1090T Liquid
HIS HD 6870 1GB
1TB SATA-III
LG BluRay RE 10x
SteelSeries Keyboard
Razer Naga MMOG
Sceptre 27" 1080HD
Bluetooth
Win7 64bit
Oplopanax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oplopanax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 1:19pm
That's FANTASTIC!  Nice to have a few people post GOOD things about their experiences, instead of crying about perceived injustices.

Incidentally, I have almost the exact same build, so I am even more stoked to see it on my doorstep now Smile

Thanks for posting this, 70sGamer, this totally made my day!
Mastosloth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastosloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:42pm
Good review. I also ordered a 1090t, excited about it. Did your motherboard recognize all 6 cores from the start? I've heard people with problems with 6 cores and some Mobos. Maybe that's because it was months ago and it's fixed.

mikeyca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:49pm
Glad to hear all is well. Keep an eye on that PSU. Generally speaking, it is a crapshoot with the Xtremegear PSU's, so if you start noticing erratic behavior, it may be your PSU crapping out.
Intel [email protected]
GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R
CoolerMaster V6 GT
12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC 2GB 256-bit
CoolerMaster HAF 912
80GB Intel X25-M
1TB HDD
Windows 7 64-bit
Todasengel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todasengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 3:34pm
Yea thats awesome :) Finally someone who isnt whining about their problems!! lol and yea like mike said, keep an eye out on that PSU, dont keep it around for too long because it does ruin all your parts in PC really quickkk. Lowers its lifespan by a lot so if you have some extra money saved up or something, get a new one lol Corsair or coolermasters are always a good choice. But glad to hear everythings working outt!

intel i5
ATI HD 5770
600 Watt Coolermaster PSU
32" Samsung 1080p TV
70sGamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70sGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Mastosloth Mastosloth wrote:

Good review. I also ordered a 1090t, excited about it. Did your motherboard recognize all 6 cores from the start? I've heard people with problems with 6 cores and some Mobos. Maybe that's because it was months ago and it's fixed.

-
Yep. Recognized all 6 from the start. And this motherboard supposedly spreads a little more love around in the cores and gives the processor a boost, whether or not the application you're using takes advantage of multiple cores. We'll see, I guess.

Another thing... This graphics card has a setting to specifically boost video conversion. A simple check box. So, I was excited about that.
-
CM 690 II Gaming Case
870A-UD3 Mobo - 8GB RAM
AMD 1090T Liquid
HIS HD 6870 1GB
1TB SATA-III
LG BluRay RE 10x
SteelSeries Keyboard
Razer Naga MMOG
Sceptre 27" 1080HD
Bluetooth
Win7 64bit
70sGamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70sGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Oplopanax Oplopanax wrote:

That's FANTASTIC!  Nice to have a few people post GOOD things about their experiences, instead of crying about perceived injustices.

Incidentally, I have almost the exact same build, so I am even more stoked to see it on my doorstep now Smile

Thanks for posting this, 70sGamer, this totally made my day!
-
You're welcome and I feel the same way. I wanted to give credit where credit was due, and give those waiting some peace of mind. I'm glad you're excited now. I'd say you'll be even more excited when ya fire it up. Wink

-
CM 690 II Gaming Case
870A-UD3 Mobo - 8GB RAM
AMD 1090T Liquid
HIS HD 6870 1GB
1TB SATA-III
LG BluRay RE 10x
SteelSeries Keyboard
Razer Naga MMOG
Sceptre 27" 1080HD
Bluetooth
Win7 64bit
Navarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:34pm
Is Todasengel referring to @#$%?

Did the Piggy go wee wee wee all the way home? Big%20smile
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

- Jack Handey -
70sGamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70sGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:00pm

mikeyca and Todasengel,

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'll keep an eye on the PSU and pick one up when I can.

A few more things I'm thinking to mention. The speakers I got are in my build description. They were the default choice and I'm running my system through a home stereo head unit, so I didn't care. I figured they would be crap, but hey, it only took about 8 bucks off, so I got 'em as emergency back-ups. For anyone who sees the "600 watts" and think they might get lucky with these speakers, nope, they are crap. Tongue  If you're gonna use the speakers you get with your system and you play big name games or listen to much music... upgrade.

The fan, temp, and clock display listed in my build. I've heard several complaints about dead batteries, not saving your settings, etc, right out of the box. I didn't have any problems with mine.

The keyboard in my build. NICE. Clap The keys are quiet, but crisp. The backlight options are nice. 3 different colors, brightnesses, etc. Nice in low light. The added keys on the left side are GREAT for first person perspective games. ie Fallout 3, Oblivion, Borderlands, and similar.

The mouse in my build. To be honest, I'm not very particular about mice. If it clicks, it'll do. Big%20smile But, I will say that it's comfortable, has a bunch of customizations in the software (which I had to download) and is nice playing said games above. I don't play WOW, but I'd imagine it would be a dream for those who do. Especially since it has downloadable software specifically for that game.

I love the airflow on this case. It has airflow on all sides, top/bottom/left/right/front/back. Stays cool as a cucumber. Side panels have thumb screws and come off individually.

Be careful if you get the LG Blu-ray burner that I got. It works great in all aspects, but it feels as cheap as a plastic Dixie cup. Confused  An accidental bump to the open tray would more than likely end its life.

That's all I can remember right now. If any of you can think of anything else you'd like me to check, just let me know.

-
CM 690 II Gaming Case
870A-UD3 Mobo - 8GB RAM
AMD 1090T Liquid
HIS HD 6870 1GB
1TB SATA-III
LG BluRay RE 10x
SteelSeries Keyboard
Razer Naga MMOG
Sceptre 27" 1080HD
Bluetooth
Win7 64bit