FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cyberpower memory con?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
linconmaples View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linconmaples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyberpower memory con?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 3:31pm

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else experienced something like this.

I just ordered and received a custom PC build from Cyberpower.

Quadstellar case
EVGA FTW3 2080 TI
Asrock Taichi
Intel 660p
Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200 4x8GB CMW32GX4M4C3200C16

Got the computer and have had stability issues from the get go.  RAM will only operate for 5-30 min stable at 2133 15-15-15-35.

Checked the RAM in CPU-Z and saw that it was listed as CMW16GX4M2C3200C16. Took the sticks out and confirmed it's the CMW16.

Asrock memory QVL specifically lists the CMW16GX4M2C3200C16  as not qualified for a 4 DIMM usage.

I reached out to Cyberpower customer support stating they gave me the wrong memory and it is incompatible. Sent them pics of the memory.

One of the fellas I talked to tried to tell me it wasn't an issue.  They are "looking into it".

I see on PC part picker that 2x16GB kits are 30-50$ cheaper than 1x32GB kit.

Starting to feel like I got bamboozled here.

Anyone run into something like this?

**Update**

"Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you with the overclocking for your memory. I have reviewed your file and the order you place with us was for 32GB of rams total, but during customization, you selected the 4 sticks of 8GB Corsair rams. The rams provided with your computer are correct. It is just not correct for overclocking in which we cannot assist with because overclocking is against our warranty policy. 

A pleasure to be of service,

Thank you"

The ram does not run stable at 2133 mind you.  Crashes consistently between 5-30min after boot.

Runs stable 2133 when only one of the 16GB kits is installed.  Crashes when all 4 sticks are in.

May have to send back the PC.  Hard to believe they wont work a bit harder to keep a custy that's in more than 4k$. Confused

Will update further.

Thanks,

Lincon

GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 4:46am
Have you RAM Memtest to see if any errors are detected? If detected they should be replaced under warranty.

I do know recently CP had the Super Luce RAM on a special. Turns out it was not the full retail version, but a batch specced out by CP to be created by the company.

So your research is showing the RAM you ordered for your MOBO will not run with a 4 DIMMS. Did you not research what was compatible with your MOBO before you ordered? That is something CP build bases will not catch if I'm correct.

If CP gave you what you ordered how is it a CP issue? So did you select it or did CP change what you had ordered? I completely agree if they changed what you ordered they need to replace it.

With all the different components available and as fast as they change there is no way integrated coding is going to catch all the incompatibilities, would be nice it it could.

As far as your pricing comment, it is not relevant. You could have double checked and ordered somewhere else if you were really looking at pricing at the time.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linconmaples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:49am
Hi GAN1957,

Thank you for the reply.

I ordered the 32GB kit (4x8GB) Vengeance RGB PRO 3200.

What they sent was 2 x 16GB kits (2x8GB) Vengeance RGB PRO 3200.

16GB kit (2x8GB): CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
32GB kit (4x8GB): CMW32GX4M4C3200C16

These sticks are binned to be stable within the kit.  Mixing kits provides no guaranty for stability. CP rolled the dice and lost.

There is no option under the ordering selection process to delineate anything different than what I ordered.  If CP is reserving the right to put in any combination of kits they want they should clearly state this on the RAM selection portion of the ordering process.  They should also give an option for a user to choose what combination of kits they would like (ie. mix kits or one single kit).  Right now there is no way for a customer to instruct CP on what they want.  

Regardless of that I ordered 32GB of 3200 Vengeance RGB PRO memory in 4 sticks.

What they sent to me was something that is not on the Asrock QVL for 4 DIMM slots.

From Asrock's QVL:

Type   Brand  Speed Size Module                                   Chip SS/DS   DIMM SocketSupport OC Note

DDR4 Corsair 3200   8GB CMW32GX4M4C3200C16             SS                       2/4                      v              

DDR4 Corsair 3200   8GB CMW16GX4M2C3200C16             SS                         2                       v

And yes Asrock does test and qualify when applicable use of 2 stick kits in 4 slots as shown as an example below:

DDR4 Corsair 3466   16GB CMK32GX4M2B3466C16  B-die DS                      2/4                      v

This makes sense with my stability issues... almost like Asrock knows what they are doing.

Here's the current situation on stability:

#1 8GB stick Dimm A2 - Stable 
#2 8GB stick Dimm A2 - Stable
#3 8GB stick Dimm A2 - Stable
#4 8GB stick Dimm A2 - Stable

#1,#2 8GB sticks Dimm A2-B2 - Stable (Asrock QVL approved)
#3,#4 8GB sticks Dimm A2-B2 - Stable (Asrock QVL approved)

#1,#2,#3,#4 8GB sticks Dimm A2-B2-A1-B1 - Unstable (Asrock QVL unapproved)

I am pretty sure I am just replicating the work Asrock has already done.

I have now spent more time trouble shooting this memory than it would have taken for me to build this computer myself (kinda wishing I had now because I checked the Asrock QVL before ordering and saw the 32GB kit was OK... CP did not check if the combo 16GB kits were obviously).  If I had built this myself and the wrong memory was delivered I would have had this RMAed and solved already.

What value is CP bringing to the table if they are not installing QVL approved solutions by choice?

Your pricing comment makes no sense.  It is absolutely relevant to CP profit margin on a build.  It is absolutely relevant to the stability issues I am having trying to kludge together a non-QVL solution.

TLDR; CP had the option to ship a QVL approved solution and chose not to.  They are also choosing not to fix this issue.

I am hoping not to return the PC but it is looking more and more like I will have to.

Cry

Lincon

Edited by linconmaples - 09 Apr 2019 at 7:43am
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:51am
Cool makes sense.

Since CP did not send you exactly what you ordered, and it appears you have the documentation to verify this, that is your go to. Completely agree. There lack of fulfilling the contract as ordered is causing issues.

I would contact CYberHD via DM. I would hate to attempt to keep up with QVL list for the amounts of products they handle. For sure not your issue, especially when you did the homework.

Also your not attempting an OC on the RAM, just to get it to speed.

As far as pricing, bringing up pricing comparisons to argue a product issue is not relevant to your problem. It just seems like throwing in costs as an issue for the problem, you had options not to purchase if your just basing on price. What one charges compared to another is the choice of the buyer. Don't like the price don't buy. Don't use it after the fact as a means of comparison or complaint. If I own a business (which I had in the past) I could care less about how much profit a customer "thought" I needed to make.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linconmaples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:29am
Hi GAN1957,

I can see what you say about pricing.  

I'm not even that frustrated with them shipping combined RAM kits.  I just wish I had the option in the part selection process to say yes or no.

On the technical side of this I went over to Asrock's tech forum and found a group of us having the same issue with full RAM slots and unmatched kits.

I think the reason that the combined kits were not qualified per the QVL is VCCIO and VCCA voltage window.

Voltage window is very tight and when all four DIMMs are full the MB applies a hefty offset voltage.

Checked the VCCIO and VCCA voltages with the Asrock tool and sure enough they were extremely high.

Lowered the voltage in the BIOS and things magically got stable.

It is interesting to note that the 4 DIMM kits did not seem to have this issue (per the people on Asrock's forum, anecdotal I know).

I am not sure if VCCIO or VCCA is something stipulated in the XMP profile. I did confirm some settings in the XMP profiles for the 2 DIMM kits and 4 DIMM kits do vary.

TLDR; Got things stable. Spent enough time futzing with RAM to rebuild the PC twice. Wish CP would update to let RAM kit options be part of the part picking process.  Some of us are willing to pay more for the option to have matched kits.

Thanks,

-L
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 4:26am
Absolutely cool

You spent a ton of time on this. I would have a dent on my forehead by now.

Are you able to get full speed in XM now?

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linconmaples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 2:33pm
Hi GAN1957,

So after a running stable memtest for many hours on the 2133 I ventured out into XM territory last night.

3200 CAS 16 worked right away.  

I left some memtest running while at work and hope for good results when I get home today.

The only thing I saw last night was the sticks were at 40-45C  using game benchmarks.... A little warm. Prime 95 blended put them at 50-55C so I shut that down.

But hey more hertz = more watts no matter what.

Before running full time at 3200 I may put a fan on the sticks.

Thanks for asking!

-L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic