New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cinebench r20 score 8700k and overclocking questio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cinebench r20 score 8700k and overclocking questio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaishnavpawala View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaishnavpawala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cinebench r20 score 8700k and overclocking questio
    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 4:51am
So I'm fairly new to overclocking. Pretty clever guy though and fast learner. I got a wicked good deal on an 8700k so I snatched it up. I ordered the kit and did a de-lid and such.

Asus Z370-F, 32GB Corsair 3200mhz, 1080ti reference with Accelero IV. The cpu is paired to an NZXT Kraken X62(Liquid metal between copper IHS and chip, and then IC Diamond between IHS and heatsink). In terms of overclocking all I did was click on "asus 5.0 ghz" preload in bios. Ran Cinebench half a dozen times back to back. Highest score 3864 and lowest score 3816.
After a couple hours of gaming (AC odyssey on ultra) the CAM software was showing that it had me damn near pegged at 5.0ghz (4998-5,001) and temps never exceeded 65c.

I guess my obvious question is should I be happy with where it's at? Overclocking my GPU was super easy with Precision XOC but the gains were minimal (2,005gpu, 61XX memory IIRC end clocks). Is this going to end up the case here? Am I going to fight for 5.1-5.2 and then never freaking notice it? Any input from the experienced community?

michelson View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 7:46am
It depends on the resolution you actually play. If you are on 1080p OC'ing the CPU will bring you a small difference but it will be (depending on your games) in the high FPS zone giving you have an 1080ti.

We have almost similar setups ([email protected] 4.9GHz/1080ti Strix OC running at default and ram Gskill Trident [email protected]) but playing on 1440p. I havent noticed any big difference between 4.7(stock OC) and 5.1(manual OC) in games.. maybe 5-7 FPS at max during some particular scenes. The GPU does all the job so I would be better with OC'ing GPU for games.

The OC part for the CPU comes from personal satisfaction in this situation. Yes you will have a "better" PC overall with everything OCed but will you see a big difference to consider it worthy..?! Not in 99% of the cases :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic