Order online or Call (800)707-0393
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

Topic ClosedAMD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DGWalker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD
    Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 5:02pm

AMD has sure made strides in the past year or so. First, while they're not world beaters, the Phenom IIs have been good processors, good enough that they have carved out a niche in the "budget" market. AMD hasn't had a notable processor since the original Athlon...I'd imagine there were some big sighs of relief at AMD when the Phenom IIs were successful. Then they gave a good upgrade path to people with the AM3 motherboards...there are even some stories about the new Bulldozers that come out next year as being AM3 compatible. And ATi, as part of AMD, has taken over a good chunk of the graphics card market with it's successful 5000 series cards. ATi beat Nvidia to the punch by six months on DX11 cards -- an eternity in the computer world -- as well as beating Nvidia's pricing and certainly in keeping temps down. Whereas two years ago AMD was floundering, now they're right back in the game.

There's not much argument that Intel's i7s are the fastest thing going, but realistically it's hard to see a two second difference in a 90 second operation. And Intel was compelled to develop the i5 and i3 to compete in the budget market...and AMD still wins the "bang for the buck" crown. And even the Intel fanboys have to admit that competition is good...and AMD is competing now.

Curious to see what others think... 

Edited by DGWalker - 10 Jun 2010 at 5:03pm
Phenom II X6 1100T
HAF 932 Blue
GA-990FXA-UD3
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950
16GB G.Skill Ares 1866MHz
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
2TB SATA III
PCP&C 950W 80+ Silver
Antec KUHLER H2O 920
hunter2618 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 6:20pm
AMD is good no doubts there, but personally im an Intel fan   ive got a Corsair 650w psu, a e8400 not OC, 250gb HD running windows 7 32bit, 4gb ram & gts 250 & can run crysis @ 50fps & thats all i need lol

Edited by hunter2618 - 15 Jun 2010 at 6:23pm
Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition   //www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/             pc wattage calculator   //www.antec.outervision.com/
DGWalker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:51am
No hardware comparisons intended...I'm just sayin', AMD is becoming much more competitive in the past year or so, and has passed Nvidia on the video card scene. Add to that the X6 1090T can compete with all but the best i7 at a much cheaper price point and AMD is getting closer to Intel on performance per dollar and seems to have a better, less expensive upgrade path... 
Phenom II X6 1100T
HAF 932 Blue
GA-990FXA-UD3
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950
16GB G.Skill Ares 1866MHz
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
2TB SATA III
PCP&C 950W 80+ Silver
Antec KUHLER H2O 920
hunter2618 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 4:01pm
thanks for the info man
Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition   //www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/             pc wattage calculator   //www.antec.outervision.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic