FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oblivion - Multi Core Tweak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oblivion - Multi Core Tweak
    Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 7:48pm

Taken From,

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

The guide itself also deals with performance related tweaks, but I am not sure how useful they are here in a forum of a seller of powerful gaming machines.

Quote on finding the configuration file,
By default, each time Oblivion loads up, it reads the values held in the Oblivion.ini file stored under your \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory (or Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion in Vista). This file can be ... edited using ... Notepad ... however before editing it, first change all of your in-game settings to the way you want them, then close Oblivion and make a backup copy of this file.

Quote on the tweak itself,
Multithreading Tweaks:
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
iNumHavokThreads=5
iThreads=9
iOpenMPLevel=10

All of the above settings ... relate to the use of the GameBryo engine's multithreading capability ... Multithreading splits tasks into 'threads' where possible, and runs them in parallel across both cores of Dual Core or HyperThreading ... CPUs to improve performance. Note that raising the values of the iThreads, iNumHavokThreads and iOpenMPLevel settings very high doesn't ... mean it uses that many threads - it all depends on how many threads are actually possible based on the information being processed.
8xid_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8xid_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 1:19pm
Interesting. I'm wondering why theses settings don't autodetect your processor cores? 
Syphon874 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syphon874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Alex Alex wrote:

Taken From,

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

The guide itself also deals with performance related tweaks, but I am not sure how useful they are here in a forum of a seller of powerful gaming machines.

Quote on finding the configuration file,
By default, each time Oblivion loads up, it reads the values held in the Oblivion.ini file stored under your \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory (or Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion in Vista). This file can be ... edited using ... Notepad ... however before editing it, first change all of your in-game settings to the way you want them, then close Oblivion and make a backup copy of this file.

Quote on the tweak itself,
Multithreading Tweaks:
bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
iNumHavokThreads=5
iThreads=9
iOpenMPLevel=10

All of the above settings ... relate to the use of the GameBryo engine's multithreading capability ... Multithreading splits tasks into 'threads' where possible, and runs them in parallel across both cores of Dual Core or HyperThreading ... CPUs to improve performance. Note that raising the values of the iThreads, iNumHavokThreads and iOpenMPLevel settings very high doesn't ... mean it uses that many threads - it all depends on how many threads are actually possible based on the information being processed.

Thanks GOOD INFO!!!!
darkmess View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 11:02am
I agree with 8xid, doesn't really makes sense since I'm pretty sure this game was made at the time Dual-Cores were taking their revenge, and also why a patch wasn't made for such a thing wasn't made.

So, if I had a Dual-Core, and didn't change these settings, what would happen?

And it's also funny since the 360 has three cores to thread through too.
Syphon874 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syphon874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by darkmess darkmess wrote:

I agree with 8xid, doesn't really makes sense since I'm pretty sure this game was made at the time Dual-Cores were taking their revenge, and also why a patch wasn't made for such a thing wasn't made.

So, if I had a Dual-Core, and didn't change these settings, what would happen?

And it's also funny since the 360 has three cores to thread through too.
It is funny that 360 gaming has somthing on the HI tech PC gaming!!  #360 games use more than 2cores lol

Get in the new world PC game makers use more than 2 cores!!!!!!
darkmess View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 9:32pm
Yeah, so if PC Oblivion needs some configs changed just to thread 2, why'd they automatically thread through 3 on the 360? but i'm repeatingzorz myself myself myself
Alex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 6:51pm
Check if it is enabled by default, if not - enable it for better performance especially on the weaker rigs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic