Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Customer Service & Tech Support
 CyberPower Forum : Support : Customer Service & Tech Support
Message Icon Topic: Graphics Card Problem Post Reply Post New Topic
mrus223

Online Status: Offline
Quote mrus223 Replybullet Topic: Graphics Card Problem
    Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 8:13pm
I don't mean to post my life story here I just want you to understand what iv'e been through and what I haven't done yet to fix this problem.

Ok, where to start...

So I received my desktop computer around 5 months ago and installed XP on it. After installing a few games and trying them out I noticed two problems: I would constantly receive the "Display drivers have stopped repsonding.." error and my entire computer would randomly freeze even when I wasn't running a game. After asking for help on the forums someone mentioned that my graphics card and processor were not compatible with XP.

After trying numerous solutions and getting nowhere i decided to install vista. After the installation the random freezes disappeared but i continued to receive the display driver error. After trying the general fixes once again, i decided to install Windows 7 as i had read about numerous people with this display driver error and how it seemed to relate to Vista. After the installation the problem was still present. I decide it was time to contact cyber power tech support.

After the technician gave me a list of general fixes to try he finally decided that an RMA was in order for my graphics card. So thats exactley what i did. However, after three weeks or so i was contacted by a technician saying that he had found damage on the graphics card. This turned out to be a slight discoloration the size of a pencil point on one of the corners of the graphics card. He told me that the manufacturer of the graphics card may not agree to the warranty due to the "damage" on the graphics card. He mentioned something about how i could blame it on the delivery service but i disagreed to that and told him to go ahead and send the graphics card to the manufacturer.

After another two weeks i received and email saying that the manufacturer agreed to a replacement of my graphics card. However, two days later i received another email saying that the manufacturer had noticed damage on the graphics card during replacement and disagreed to the replacement. At this point i was furious and just wanted my graphics card back. When i was contacted by a technician about the RMA he apologized for the mess and recommended that i attempt to replace the graphics card myself. After a week or so i received my graphics card from CyberPower.

Here are my sytem specs:
Evga Gtx 275 1792mb vram
Gigabyte G41M-ES2H Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
Corsair 750w Power Supply
Windows 7 64bit

So far iv'e installed and reinstalled the latest drivers to my graphics card, audio, chipset, etc. I've updated my Bios using the gigabyte Bios tool and added all sorts of cooling devices in my case. I've increased my graphics card fan speeds using RivaTuner and Evga Precision. I've also changed registry settings that had to do with Windows TDR, turning detection off to see if that would help. I have't tried only having one stick of ram in my motherboard because that just sounds ridiculous and wouldn't be a permanent fix. As for the power supply, i believe it's more than sufficient to run the hardware in my system.

I may have forgotten a few of the steps i took to fix this problem but please if you have any idea on what i could do to fix this issue i would greatly appreciate it, Thank You.
IP IP Logged
loyalcustomer

Quote loyalcustomer Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 8:43pm
So, you did get a new graphics card?  That sounds like culprit if you've already tried reinstalling drivers.  The PSU you are using should be fine.  The point behind tryin only one stick of RAM is to see if maybe there is a bad stick.  If everything runs normal using the one then try the other and see if it fails or runs fine, too.  Or run memtest to see if there is a bad stick, just google and download the program.  Good luck.
IP IP Logged
mrus223

Quote mrus223 Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 9:36pm
I'm sorry i wasn't clearer. I received my old graphics card from cyberpower which i had sent in for the RMA. I'll run memtest and see if the problem lies with the ram.
IP IP Logged
mrus223

Quote mrus223 Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:34pm
So I ran memtest and passed without any errors. If this could cause the display driver error i would be more than happy to buy new ram from a trusted brand even though the ram i have right now seems to be fine.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version