FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

What is two-factor authentication and why I need

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KeraBlaer View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeraBlaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is two-factor authentication and why I need
    Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 6:15pm
Since someone tried to hack my bank account I\ve become very concerned about internet security. I've read a lot of professional and useful articles, the most I liked this https://www.safetydetective.com/blog/what-is-phishing-and-how-to-protect-against-it/ for simple and friendly writing style. But I hardly understand should I use two-factor authentication on all sites or only on important ones like my banking account?
JJaaSSooNN View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJaaSSooNN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 2:22pm
2 Auth is a way to notify you on multiple contacts so you know what is happening to your account. An example of 2 Auth is through messages or emails.
UserOne View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UserOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:09pm
oops. double post.  (got a failure message but the post apparently went thru, and I didn't see it until after I reposted)

Edited by UserOne - 10 Dec 2019 at 7:16pm
UserOne View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UserOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by JJaaSSooNN JJaaSSooNN wrote:

2 Auth is a way to notify you on multiple contacts so you know what is happening to your account. An example of 2 Auth is through messages or emails.

What? Are you joking? This is completely wrong. It simply requires a 2nd form of identification, normally in addition to a password. 2FA typically uses a physical device, like a USB stick (such as FIDO), to store credentials. This physical device must be present and used each time you log in. This only works for accounts that support 2FA, such as gmail. This prevents someone from stealing or guessing your password.and logging in, since they would not have your additional credentials. Aside from the inconvenience, the risk is that the physical device is lost or damaged, so you need an extra one to use as a backup. You can associate multiple sets of additional credentials with a single account that supports 2FA. 2FA is typically used for primary email accounts that would, for example, be used to reset passwords.

Both of you could simply google it. There's no reason to post a question like this in this forum.
Peregrine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peregrine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 9:04am
What? Are you joking? 2FA AKA MFA certainly does not need at all to be used with a physical device?!?!?
Apparently someone else should Google it, too. ;)

UserOne View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UserOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 5:03pm
Learn how to read troll. "2FA typically uses a physical device". See that word "typically"? When people are discussing 2FA to protect their accounts, that is what they are normally referring to, not what the first response claimed.

Edited by UserOne - 16 Dec 2019 at 5:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic