FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Video doesn't want to kick in, initially.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nighthaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nighthaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video doesn't want to kick in, initially.
    Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 10:38am
Hi all,

I've been having the most annoying issue. Every time I power on my computer (either a cold boot or a reawakening from sleep mode) I hear everything power up as it should EXCEPT I hear the video card fans powering up and then powering down. No video signal is sent to my monitor. It then tries again, fans power up then back down. It repeats this for about half a dozen times before the fans on the card just keep going, but at a slower speed and there is still no video signal getting to the monitor.

However...

I've noticed that if I wiggle the video cable (it is the first version of a DVI cable with 18 pins I think?) a certain way all of a sudden the video card's signal kicks in and its normal operating from then on. No other video problems at all...once the video signal is transmitted. This has gone on since the beginning of the year.

I've relocated recently and I had my computer in my car's trunk and I'd thought it was packed well enough to avoid any jarring from the trip. I've re-seated both the video card and the power cables.

My power supply is a 1,000 watt and the card I use is an ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2. I've had it for about 2½-3 years. The computer itself was a custom built gaming PC from CyberPower. I'd replaced both the video card and the power supply since then (the power supply alone had to be upgraded to 1,000 watts to feed the demands of the video card) but that is the extent to which I've had any issues. Everything else has worked properly.

I've been told that it could be the video card, the motherboard, the power supply...I'm rather confused. The only thing I haven't tried is swapping video cables but I was told that video cables don't go out very frequently...at least not as "fast" as the other components.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any constructive replies.

Thank you for your time.
Hopep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 10:27am
I have been having the same issue. Restarting it a few times usually got it working till yesterday. I originally had it plugged into the smaller video plug(not sure what it is called),when that stopped working completely I switched to the larger white plug, it worked for a while, now it has stopped. The onboard video does not work and I have no clue how to turn it on without being able to view the monitor. Looks like I may be replacing the video card.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic