New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spectre Folio: going from an 8550U to an 8500Y...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spectre Folio: going from an 8550U to an 8500Y...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RonneySingh View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonneySingh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spectre Folio: going from an 8550U to an 8500Y...
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 3:39am
Right now I�m rocking a Dell Inspiron 7373 but I�m getting fed up with its rapid battery drain and temperature issues (the latter has been bandaged by ThrottleStop and may have a more permanent solution in the form of liquid metal but I digress). While I like it as a computer, these issues are probably going to initiate a divorce at the end of this year when my Best Buy Geek Squad protection expires.

The replacement I�m eyeing is the Spectre Folio after watching Linus review it but the lower base clock and thread count of the 8500Y do make me somewhat wary. What�s been your experience with it as a daily driver laptop (browsing, document editing, video watching, and maybe some easy gaming)? The 8550U is a good CPU, even if it seems to be causing me some headaches in this particular laptop I�ve got but I�m not against the tradeoff if it isn�t noticeable on the average use-case level (especially taking into account the Surface Pro-like battery life, which is the current competitor for my dollars). Tweakbox Appvalley https://vlc.onl/

< ="text/">< ="text/">< ="text/">

Edited by RonneySingh - 20 Jul 2019 at 11:21am
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 4:43am
Can't really comment myself. We had one CP laptop that was fine for my Son. That was a few years ago. Next one he purchased was an off the shelf major brand to get the best bang for his dollars.

This said CP laptops are bought by them and re-branded from China. Hard to find real MOBO specs. Your basic specs for the cpu, GPU should be solid. MOBO is another issue. I have seen customers have a hard time even finding out what they have.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic