Need Help? We're here for you.
Order online or Call (800)707-0393
Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:29am
Here are some good start up procedures.

Take plenty of pictures before during & after the unboxing in case there is damage.

Remove all packing, verify all components are seated & plugged in.

Connect monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet only.

Fire it up, finish OS install, GPU drivers & MOBO drivers. Register the OS.

Download Speed Fan or HWI monitor and run during all tests to monitor temps. 
All the programs listed are free, make sure you download directly from their site
or at someplace like Major Geeks.

Download and create a bootable flash drive or CD of Memtest. Run it to verify your RAM has no errors. 
A bad sector or 2 can cause all sorts of weird issues. If it passes move on. If not find the bad stick 
and temporarily remove it.

Download and run Intel Burn In on standard, for a general stress test.

Download and run Furmark to stress the GPU.

If all is well update the OS and drivers.

Install your most used programs. 

Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

antlerz22 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerz22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:16am
Originally posted by GAN1957 GAN1957 wrote:

Here are some good start up procedures.

Take plenty of pictures before during & after the unboxing in case there is damage.

Remove all packing, verify all components are seated & plugged in.

Connect monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet only.

Fire it up, finish OS install, GPU drivers & MOBO drivers. Register the OS.

Download Speed Fan or HWI monitor and run during all tests to monitor temps. 
All the programs listed are free, make sure you download directly from their site
or at someplace like Major Geeks.

Download and create a bootable flash drive or CD of Memtest. Run it to verify your RAM has no errors. 
A bad sector or 2 can cause all sorts of weird issues. If it passes move on. If not find the bad stick 
and temporarily remove it.

Download and run Intel Burn In on standard, for a general stress test.

Download and run Furmark to stress the GPU.

If all is well update the OS and drivers.

Install your most used programs

Ok those items in color, I am not sure of.  Namely the first highlighted one. I would think all of that is already done from cyberpowerpc as part of their process of finishing a build.... that all drivers would be current etc..and installed.

2) Why would my ram have errors being a brand new PC? Again wouldnt cyberpower have that as part of their quality control protocol before shipping?

3) And I'm a tad computer illiterate, so what exactly is a program perse? Give me some examples so I can understand.

GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:24am
No not really. CP will install the drivers that either come with the device or generic. Clean install of the latest GPU driver is the best route.

First item, when you get it the operating system (Windows 10) will not be complete. It will take you through the steps when you fire it up. CP does a minimal test and resets the system with an OEM copy of Windows. Windows will run on basic drivers, but won't have the ones for your mother board, video card mainly, thus install then after setting up windows install them.

Bad sectors in RAM can be mask as many things CP test is quick and may not cover a complete test. Memtest is a downloadable free program, you can either create a bootable flash drive or CD. Set your bios to start from the one you create first. Plug into USB or disk drive if that is the way you set the BIOS. Start the machine run at least 5 passes on standard. When done a report will generate and let you know if your RAM has bad sectors. If not your set. You want to verify this before you install everything else. Since bad RAM can mask as other things it won't be as hard to isolate an issue if you have one. Instructions are on their website to create a bootable disk or flash drive. If you have a problem understanding Google it.

In blue lettering, after all tests & MOBO & GPU drivers use "Microsoft Update" to make sure your OS has the most recent updates.

In general you want to run basic tests to make sure your system is running fine "before" you install all your programs. If you don't and there are BSODS, shut down errors it gets harder to find out if it is the basic system or program related issue.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

ssskelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssskelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:55pm
Quote Here is a comparison of the RX 580 & Nvidia 1060.>>>>> http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923
Bad comparison there, this is the 580 4GB and his build has the 8GB. The 580 8GB will be neck and neck with the 1060 6GB, and over most samples have the slightest edge.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page8.html

No not really. CP will install the drivers that either come with the device or generic. Clean install of the latest GPU driver is the best route.

First item, when you get it the operating system (Windows 10) will not be complete. It will take you through the steps when you fire it up. CP does a minimal test and resets the system with an OEM copy of Windows. Windows will run on basic drivers, but won't have the ones for your mother board, video card mainly, thus install then after setting up windows install them.

Bad sectors in RAM can be mask as many things CP test is quick and may not cover a complete test. Memtest is a downloadable free program, you can either create a bootable flash drive or CD. Set your bios to start from the one you create first. Plug into USB or disk drive if that is the way you set the BIOS. Start the machine run at least 5 passes on standard. When done a report will generate and let you know if your RAM has bad sectors. If not your set. You want to verify this before you install everything else. Since bad RAM can mask as other things it won't be as hard to isolate an issue if you have one. Instructions are on their website to create a bootable disk or flash drive. If you have a problem understanding Google it.

In blue lettering, after all tests & MOBO & GPU drivers use "Microsoft Update" to make sure your OS has the most recent updates.

In general you want to run basic tests to make sure your system is running fine "before" you install all your programs. If you don't and there are BSODS, shut down errors it gets harder to find out if it is the basic system or program related issue.
All excellent advice here. While the anticipation of a new system will cause you to want to dive in, run the tests he mentions right off the bat. Otherwise that one system you have an issue with will make you wish you had done it every time before.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:50am
Originally posted by ssskelton ssskelton wrote:

Quote Here is a comparison of the RX 580 & Nvidia 1060.>>>>> http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923
Bad comparison there, this is the 580 4GB and his build has the 8GB. The 580 8GB will be neck and neck with the 1060 6GB, and over most samples have the slightest edge.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page8.html

Was basing off his first post which had the  lesser amount of RAM. As far as VRAM goes I don't think there is anything out there yet which even uses 6GB's consistently.

Even with that, still differing results. >>>> http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-580-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060

ssskelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssskelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:46pm

Was basing off his first post which had the  lesser amount of RAM. As far as VRAM goes I don't think there is anything out there yet which even uses 6GB's consistently.

Even with that, still differing results. >>>> http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-RX-580-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060
Fair enough, but he'd posted another build before that with the 8GB, so I wanted to make sure it was accurate.

Frankly, that site is not a legitimate source. The comments cover the salient points about this "head-to-head", but they aren't even doing their own testing. You can amuse yourself further by simply typing GPUBOSS into Google, and seeing how many of the first page results mock their attempts at comparisons.

For gaming, results are going to be very close. Newer DX12 titles are going to favor the 580, and DX11 will likely go to the 1060.

It's really down to price. At the moment there's a free upgrade from 1060 3GB to 6GB, so that's probably the smart call unless you're wanting to benefit from a Freesync monitor.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I think we're going to see a lot of growth in the demand of VRAM by games as higher resolution monitors become the norm. 
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 7:23am
Antlers very first build was "4GB" on page one.

Completely agree were are at the verge of finally using more VRAM in gaming.

Admittedly surprised about GPU boss. I guess the fail safe is Anand Tech.

For me never a doubt with NVIDIA, running cooler and with less power generally. Finally recently my sons slightly over a year old AMD when driver updated completely failed, trashed the card. Three hours or more attempting to wipe it and do clean installs never worked. Thus the post about them. Have never before seen an issue like this. Cant' really find out a cause. Se we went back to NVIDIA with a 1070.

antlerz22 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerz22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:56am
Well I just put my order on hold. New mobos out now, and Iím ordering
the new Gigabyte x470 Aorus gaming 5. From the Gigabyte x370 gaming that was original package promo.
Everything else is staying the same. However they said new mobos wonít be in till the end of May
. So apx time of delivery could be mid June. It should be worth the wait though.
ssskelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssskelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:45pm
If it was me, I'd save the ~$25 and get the 2600x over the 1700x. 

There's a lot of places that newer, cheaper chip is going to shine for the normal home user.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic