FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NVIDIA GTX 660m 2GB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EethpPlur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EethpPlur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NVIDIA GTX 660m 2GB
    Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:59am
Over the last month or so, the GPU in my X6-6000 laptop seems to have stopped working. I noticed a DRASTIC decrease in my ability to play games with any sort of tax on the graphics card (Far Cry 3, Ryse, etc.). When I checked my graphics memory, I discovered only about 124 mb out of 2gb were being used (16gb total Ram). I wasn't able to change this in the BIOS and I didn't want to void the warranty. I tried updating all the software and drivers in the NVIDIA GEFORCE menu, which made no difference.

Two days ago, I checked the NVIDIA toolbar, and discovered that the integrated graphics card (from intel) was the default card for 3d settings and for all games (which would explain the decrease in performance). I was not able to change the default GPU back to the 660m.

I then went to the device manager, which had both GPUs listed. I tried disabling the integrated intel GPU, the screen went black and I had to restart it. After reboot, the cursor was much slower. I tried playing Ryse in Steam, but an error message "Ryse: Son of Rome Requires Direct X 11 to play" (which I definitely have). The NVIDIA toolbar does not open on this setting. I have had to enable the integrated card and restart the computer to do anything.

Am I just SOL, or is there anything I can do to fix this? I have tried uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling them for the GPU, but that made no difference. I can now play Far Cry 3 on medium settings at a decent frame rate, instead of low (it was between high and ultra on every setting before this happened). I did purchase my laptop back in May 2013; I have taken very good care of my computer, but is this possibly a hardware issue?

I have also considered buying or creating something allowing me to use a desktop graphics card in my laptop, but I would rather be able to use the GPU I already bought from CyberPower.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Cyber_sales View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyber_sales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 3:41pm
You should call our tech support at 1-888-900-5180 and see if there is a way to re-enable the NVidia driver. They are open from 6 AM to 8 PM pacific.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic