FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

Topic Closed""NO"" OCZ Vertex SSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ""NO"" OCZ Vertex SSD
    Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 9:30am
Hey all

I hope no one getting the new OCZ Vertex in their build is having problems. At least I don't see any issues on the forum.

I have an Intel 320 Series 120 Gb that I am filling up. So a few weeks ago I decided to get the new OCZ Vertex 256 Gb drive to replace my Intel. It seems to be one of the best on the market.

Mind you my Intel was plug and play, I used their software (included, not included with OCZ) cloned my old HDD to my Intel SSD. Switched the boot order and away I went.

When I received my OCZ Vertex. I attempted the same thing. Didn't work. First I needed to update the firmware according to OCZ. Would not update even booting into Linux software provided by OCZ.
The clone worked according to two different software's I used, but when I switched the boot order, my system would start and when booting I would get a "disk read error" message then had to cntr-alt-del to try again. Still did not work.

I contacted OCZ tech, They suggested to use a new cable, make sure no kinks were in the cable, make sure cable was not loose. I did so to no avail. I tried the "Secure erase" OCZ suggested and the clean install of Win7. First part of the install went OK , but when Windows auto restarted I received the "disk read error" message again. OCZ suggested to set my BIOS from IDE to ACHI. When I did my system would not start up. I had to clear my CMOS to get back up.

After that I sent the drive in for an RMA. Got the replacement drive last week. Just tried again last night to install it. This new drive had the newer version of the firmware already on it. Same thing happened. Cloned the drive, clone completed OK, Set the new drive to first boot order, got a "disk read error" message when I rebooted. Tried the secure erase, clean install of Win7, first auto reboot I received the "disk read error" message.

OCZ suggested to update my BIOS, problem is my bios is F4 revision the most current stable release for Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 rev 3.1. The only other one is a beta. I went on the OCZ forum this morning they have a newer release of their firmware out again.

I am not going through this again. Remember I said my Intel was plug and play. On the OCZ forums you will see a page that reads like an encyclopedia when installing their drive>> HERE

and this other on on problems>>HERE

I am going to be very hesitant on suggesting an "OCZ" drive for a replacement. Maybe with CP setting it up from the start, but not to replace. I am not the sharpest tack in the bunch, but I am ready to beat my head on the wall.

I am two days short on not being able to get a refund from Amazon I am doing so today and going back to Intel..

Edited by GAN1957 - 14 Jul 2012 at 9:37am
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

rediornot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:25am
sounds like nightmare on elm street gan
Eluna242 case,ASUS 570x wifi,73700x,16gb 4x3000ram,gigabyte rtx2070.240 AIO push/pull led fans 1600w Lepa psu, AOC 27cqg1 144hz 1440p,WD480ssd/2x1tb M.2.F@H team 142900 come fold with us
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic