FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Customers - please read

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
Author
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by ffish13 ffish13 wrote:

Hi, 
So I bought a Gamer Supreme Liquid Cooled Desktop from Bestbuy before I knew any better, please don't throw tomatoes at me.  Can you tell me what power supply and cooling system I have, the model number is SLC8360B and SKU 5374306?  Is my cooling system a closed system that does not require maintenance?  The system came with 16GB DDR4 RAM and I want more.  I am not a Gamer, I do a lot of solid modeling and programs like Solidworks are memory hogs.  What kind of memory do you recommend for my system?  Is the power supply that came with the system able to support my system? 

Thanks, 
ffish13

Dude start a new thread. This is a 5 year old one.

You may be one of the few that really need more RAM.

Overall, with an i7 cpu and a 1070 GPU your in pretty good shape.

Nothing shows what cooler you have, one of the downfalls of not coming here first. By the look of the case it seems to be a 120mm sealed cooler. If so your fine, it is just open loop systems that require maintenance.

Now the PSU, is anybody's guess. When you get it look in the case and if it days "standard" if you don't change it your taking a risk. Coolmater, XFX, EVGA or Thermaltake are tried and true brands. Its not that it won't "support" your system wattage wise. It's the fact that these are lower end ones often built poorly. They are know to provide uneven power (ripples) which over the long haul are on other components and have a high failure rate which has fried some system.

You may have been able to shave some off of your costs by coming here first, letting the membership help and showing you a checkout code for 5% off the total.

It is not a good idea to mis-match RAM. When you get it add to it with the same brand. If it is not a good brand, think about buying 32GB's of new RAM and selling what you take out. ADATA, COrsair Vengeance, G Skill Ripjaw, Kingston HYPER X are all decent brands.

Here is a real helpful list I put together for new system owners.

Take plenty of pictures before, during & after the unboxing

Remove the packing and verfiy all components are seated & plugged in

Connect the side fan if any, button it up and fire it up with the keyboard, mouse and internet connection only

Finish the OS & MOBO driver install, register the OS

Download Speed Fan or HWI monitor and run during all tests

Download Memtest, create your bootable flash drive or disk, restart and run it 5 passes or so, to verify RAM is OK. If not isolate the stick and get an RMA for just the RAM

Download and run Intel Burn In on standard

Download & run Furmark on standard to stress the gpu

Monitor temps during Burn In & Furmark

If all is well, then get your Windows updates, install your most used programs & games

Then either Clone, ghost or at least back up your C drive and create a set of restore disks in case something happens to your C drive. You will be back up and running in a much shorter time

Finish program, printer, etc. install and your ready to go
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

TECHLORD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 7:26pm
I didn't look at the specs b/c I was busy B4, but knew those expensive liq. cooled rigs had mostly nice parts, tho a little priced vs a similar rig here. I fig'd some1 else would post abt what is prolly the generic PSU needing replacement with a brand name model. But I don't think any of those have any exotic open loop cooling. Prolly a 120mm sealed, Asetek 510/550 or similar.

Edited by TECHLORD - 07 Apr 2017 at 7:27pm
If it doesn't Light Up, Turn On, or Plug In, I don't want it!

You kill a few people, and they call you a Murderer! Kill a few MILLION, and you're a Conqueror. Go Figure!!
tkawertz View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:29am
This information was incredibly helpful! Thank you!
ctice22461 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm
I wish I saw this post prior to orderibg. Regardless, I planned on upgrading a few components once the core x processors and x299 motherboards dropped. Hopefully, I'm safe until then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151617
  Share Topic