FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a new mother board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CaptnSarcasm View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptnSarcasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new mother board
    Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:57am
My girlfriend's computer has an ASUS M4A77T/USB3 motherboard and it is falling behind in it's capability to play new games, because the CPU it has (AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Processor) is the best that can fit in that type of mother board. At least that's what we've found in our search and we could be very wrong.

So now we're trying to shop for a new motherboard/CPU but i'm a little out of practice with compatibility and what the newer generation stuff comes with.

What kind of motherboard can we get that will at least match her current one but allow us to upgrade the CPU on it? We aren't looking to go to pluto or anything, we're looking more for a 'patch job' until we can save to get her a proper new rig.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Aeropostle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeropostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:28am
Look into AMD for cheapest price to performance with upgrade path.  Last years B350 chipset motherboards support 2nd gen Ryzen chips by installing a new bios update.  B350's prices are dropping since b450's are out.  I picked up an Asus Prime B350 to replace the motherboard in my signature build.  Im buying a Ryzen 5 2600 and 16 gigs of ram to update that rig and hand it down to my daughters.  You could even get a 5 2200G processor even cheaper to get something running now, then add a Ryzen 5 2600.  For price/performance the Ryzen 5 2600 is in the sweet spot.  It is overclockeable too.  Be sure to look at b450 pricing too.  If its close, b450 is second gen.
System 1: Ryzen 5 2600 Asus Prime 350B 16 Gigs Corsair DDR4 3200 Radeon His Ice2 R9-280x
System 2. Intel 8700k Asus Prime with Strix RTX 2060
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptnSarcasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 12:17pm
You're awesome thank you! We'll start shopping around for those and try to get the best price!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeropostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:49pm
Glad to help.  I misstyped earlier too. Ryzen 3 2200G.  That is the cheapest Ryzen.  It runs circles around any of the old FX chips included the one listed in my signature for I.P.C.
System 1: Ryzen 5 2600 Asus Prime 350B 16 Gigs Corsair DDR4 3200 Radeon His Ice2 R9-280x
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptnSarcasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:01am
We got her the MSI B450 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 5. Failed to realize it required DDR4 instead of her old DDR3 so we had to make two trips.
HOWEVER! It works like a champ now!
Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeropostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:12pm
Yeah, I mentioned buying Ram but failed to mention that Ryzen is DDR4. Thats the situation im in too.  I looked hard at the Tomahawk, but went with the Asus Prime.  Reviews were pretty even, the Tomahawk has a better Sound solution integrated.  Congrats on your purchase!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic