FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My dilemma! Advice Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RGTX1121 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGTX1121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My dilemma! Advice Welcome
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 4:15pm
A little backstory. I am semi-new to PC building and upgrading. I used to do it back in the days when 512 m of ram, and 256 m of graphics memory was considered mid to high range. I continued to game, but moved more into the console arena. A few months ago, I upgraded my potato of a home PC with a 2 gig Nvidia graphics card so that I could run dual monitors (it was an old optiplex SFF computer that I got for around 50 bucks which I only used for surfing and watching YouTube). 

The 140 dollar investment for a dedicated memory card led to me needing more storage than the measly 300 gig the dell had, so I bought a USB 3.0 adapter card which would fit in a legacy PCI slot. It all went downhill from there, and two weeks later I ended up with an Alienware X51 R2 that I bought of eBay for around $550. The power of this computer versus what I had was obviously mind blowing, and has caused me to fall down the slippery slope of wanting to upgrade my new computer.

Here is my current set-up
I7-4790 (Haswell) 3.6 "O.C" to 4.0 gig
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
16G ram
2x Samsung 24'' curved LED monitors with 60hz refresh rate (display looks good for $150 each)

So, I don't know where to go from here. From what I have found, there is only one Haswell chip quicker than mine, and even then it is not substantially faster. I can't add more RAM to the system since my MOBO is maxed out, so the only thing I can think of is upgrading to a GTX 1070 or 1080. I have also thought of getting a higher end monitor with a 144hz or even 240hz refresh rate, and 1 ms response time.

The ironic part is that the games I play the most come no where near maxing out the capabilities of my current system, but there are games coming out in the near future that I would like to run at max settings with a solid frame rate. Right now, I am thinking that I could improve my current experience the most by grabbing a high end monitor that will serve me well once I decide what to do with my tower itself.

Thoughts?
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:12am
Your cpu specs & RAM (not sure of your RAM speed) are good overall.

The biggest single component for good gaming is the GPU, then your monitor.

144 is decent, if your looking higher the increase in performance is not nearly as noticeable as the switch from 60 to 144. Here is a good article. >>> https://www.gamingscan.com/144hz-vs-240hz/ 

Running dual 24" monitors just about any mid-range decent GPU will handle. When your talking 3 or 4 monitors or larger 42" monitors running higher resolutions you rely on a higher end GPU.

No doubt with your current cpu & RAM, look into a top line GPU. Here is a link you can do some simple comparisons of GPU's. >>> http://www.hwcompare.com/36612/geforce-gtx-1080-vs-geforce-rtx-2080/ 

Just make sure your new GPU selection will fit your case.

Edited by GAN1957 - 16 May 2019 at 5:13am
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic