FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Love for business users?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sf_jeff View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf_jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love for business users?
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:35pm
My previous supplier seems to have gone out of business and I was looking for a replacement company offering "configure your own" desktop PC builds.  All of the top choices seem to cater exclusively to the gaming community, but cyberpowerpc seems like they are near the top of this market.

My question is, would you consider catering to the software development/business power user community?  In general, the requirements would be as follows:

1) While configuring a computer, allow the use of 2 M2 drives rather than one and 2 hybrid 8 TB drives rather than one (4 total; I assume "combo drive" refers to hybrid drive?).  It is convenient to get these drives from you guys so that the cabling does not have to be redone.
2) When configuring a computer that does not have integrated graphics (eg. Ryzen 3700 system), add a cheap ***not recommended for gaming*** video card option that would be closer to $50
3) In the quick configuration menu option "What do you like to play?", add an option for "Oracle/Software Development".  The configuration would have:
* High end disk performance (eg. suggest Ryzen 570 MotherBoard combined with M2 drive and third gen Ryzen in late 2019) 
* Mid to high end memory performance with high capacity available
* Mid-range CPU, or possibly low end CPU for the high-end chipset (to get the good disk performance)
* Low end graphics, networking, etc.

Possible initial benchmarks for testing such a system:
File copy from M2 disk to M2 disk
File copy from Large magnetic or hybrid disk to M2 disk
Standard Oracle benchmarks (good Oracle performance would probably imply good performance with other DBs)
Standard Java benchmarks (Java software projects can often take advantage of a lot of memory, so handling high memory situations well is a good omen for other software projects)

The above are in order from easiest to less easy, and even just a simple disk copy can tell you a good amount about a system's io performance.

As a side note, it is pretty off-putting when you go to the "quick system" and are asked to choose a typical game to optimize for and "I don't use the computer for games" isn't an option. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic