FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a New Hard Drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ICantPCProperly View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICantPCProperly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing a New Hard Drive
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:08am
AngryAngryAngryGood morning, 

I purchased a stock PC from amazon in November 2017. Some time in winter 2018, one of my system 32 files got corrupted, and my froze. I force restarted the device, and thereafter windows did not boot properly. I shut down my PC called support everywhere, including here. Everyone seems to say the same thing, that the hard drive failed and I need a new one.

Currently I have both the old and new hard drives installed o my computer.  installed the drive last night and here is what happened: the BIOS loaded and Windows tries to load, but the screen went black, the monitor lost signal with the computer, and it restarted the desktop. This happened three times. 

As an aside to this problem, my desktop isn't letting me operate from the D-Sub or DVI, only HDMI.
Angry
I've read articles that it is my CPU, but that doesn't seem right - and if it is, why? At the BIOS menu with both drives installed, the desktop reads my broken hard drive as the Windows Boot Manager.
Cry
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:50am
Have you tried starting with just the new hard drive connected?  I will need the operating system installed on it.
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICantPCProperly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:56am
I have. The BIOS runs but the screen goes black and the monitor loses connection with the PC. However, unlike with both installed, the PC just sits there. Fans and lights are on and running, but the computer doesn't do anything, at least after 5 minutes.
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 8:06am
Originally posted by ICantPCProperly ICantPCProperly wrote:

I have. The BIOS runs but the screen goes black and the monitor loses connection with the PC. However, unlike with both installed, the PC just sits there. Fans and lights are on and running, but the computer doesn't do anything, at least after 5 minutes.

Do you have Windows installed on that hard drive?
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICantPCProperly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 8:14am
The old one, but I don;t know about the new one. It is a WD Blue 1TB, same specs as the stock hard drive.

GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 5:10am
You need to do some reading. From you description you seem to have very little knowledge on how to deal with a system. Outside of using one. You have tons of reading to do to grasp how to correctly install a new HD and the OS on it.

Take the old drive out. ANY new drive must have the operating system installed on it. They are blank.

Since you did not post your full build specs we have not ides if you have an optical drive in your system. If so. Get into the BIOS and select the optical dive as the first boot device. Put the supplied system restore CD in and re-boot. Follow the prompts to "re-install" the operating system. Once done install the MOBO drivers with the other CD supplied.

If you don't have an optical drive, you will need to find another system that does, Then "research" and create a bootable flash drive . One for the OS and a a plain second one for the MOBO drivers. Select boot form USB in the BIOS and restart with the bootable flash drive.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic