New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [First Post] Will receive this week - first steps?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[First Post] Will receive this week - first steps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akesavar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akesavar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [First Post] Will receive this week - first steps?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 7:33pm
Hey guys,

This is my first post; first time buying a desktop, really. I've always either had my parents buy one (when I was young) or had a laptop. I'm going into my second year at UC Berkeley, so I thought I'd trade in my lagging laptop and stick with a desktop/netbook combo.

I'm due to receive my computer this Thursday (well, I'm going to pick it up, so I guess receive is not really applicable here), and I was curious what my first steps upon returning home should be.

I'm basically looking to max out this computer (while running it stably for a few years at least) for some light gaming and engineering tools (AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc). I'll also add in more RAM/another video card or three in the upcoming years, as I see fit.

Specs so far:

Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window
Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
Asus P6T X58
6 GB DDR3 PC1333
Lite-On IHOS 104 Blue-Ray
Asetek LCLC
EVGA GTX 280
1 TB 7200RPM HDD
800W PSU
No OS - I'm going to just add in Windows 7 x64 RC

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it will be a clean build, with plenty of room to grow in the future.

Again, what are the first steps I should take to spruce this bad boy up from the get-go?
Optimally, I'd like to OC it to 3.5-3.6 (anything more is just detrimental to the life of the components)

Have at it :)
Thanks in advance.

Rhyalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhyalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 9:22pm
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5208

Welcome aboard!

You know that CP frowns on overclocking, right?

I don't think that you need to do much for that system...  get a good monitor and perhaps some gaming accessories, but the RAM, video and CPU look ok... :-)

R

Edited by Rhyalus - 03 Aug 2009 at 9:24pm
i7-8700K / Gigabyte Aorus 5
Corsair H110i
16GB DDR4 RAM
3TB HDD
1TB WD Blue SSD
500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2
GTX 1080 8GB
Phantek Enthoo Pro
akesavar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akesavar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 8:29am
Thanks Rhyalus - and I do realize that CP frowns upon it, but then again, they do have a dedicated subforum for it. And quite honestly, it's next to impossible to prove that something went bad from OC-ing vs. some other cause.

I'm sticking with my 4-year-old Dell 20.1" Ultrasharp (1680x1050), so I'm covered until I maybe get a big one in a few years (Apple 30's look amazing...)
brandonvi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandonvi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 8:43am

I just got to ask what are you trying to do with this thing that you think you need to over clock it.

I mean honestly you have like the 3rd or 4th most powerfull video card out there, the 3rd most powerfull processer if you don't count the retired 940 and 965. Also it honestly does not mater almost at all what your ram is as far as 1333 or even up to 1800 no mater what the ram company trys to tell you (they tested it on toms hardware it only does like 1-2 FPS faster for the faster ram if that much.

Really there is no game out there runing at the 1680x1050 you say your going to that even needs what you have much less overclocking it.

even high end auto cad should not have a problem with what you have there i would not think hell the guy at my work uses a 3 year old computer for autocad that has less then 1/4 the power of your computer and has no problem

Edited by brandonvi - 05 Aug 2009 at 8:47am
akesavar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akesavar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 9:08pm
Oh, I know for sure that I don't need to overclock - my computer is working perfectly fine/super fast without it. I don't think I will right now anyway. Perhaps in a few months or so, if I'm bored one day.

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic