Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Hybrid: OC advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
deadeye View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti Hybrid: OC advice?
    Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:59am
Bought this rig from CyberPower 2 years ago and its been fantastic. And I remember all the great advice I got here in the process so I wanted to come and see if I could get some feedback on what, as a novice OC'er, I've managed to come up with after messing with this card for 2 weeks. I'm no power gamer so I don't need to SLI multiple cards or build a fancy cooling setup, but I do wanna play the new games I like at their best settings so I thought I'd go Pascal and bought this on ebay for $640 (not bad I guess, considering...).

But, as many here know, Nvidia is not allowing it to come OC'ed, but, hey, this one's got a radiator, I have to OC it right?! So I bought 2 Corsair 'Quiet' fans, plugged them into the on-board 2 pin connector via a 3 pin splitter and sandwiched the cooler with them. After which temps have remained below 48c no matter what I did to it. Then I got Afterburner and started messing around.

I tried setting Core Voltage to +95 / Core Clock to +245MHz (2151MHz) / Mem Clock to +375MHz (4374MHz) and that passed Unigines stress test for 1/2 hr. and ran Fallout 4 at Ultra preset but crashed Rise of the Tomb Raider at 'Very High' preset. So I dialed it back at the below settings and now it plays RotTR beautifully at top settings and their is almost no hit to bench scores.

Core Voltage +90 / Core Clock +225MHz (2126MHz) / Mem Clock +350MHz (4353MHz)
3DMark Fire Strike score: 17,581 ("Better than 93% of all results")

Speaking of bench scores, why do many of the higher scores on 3DMark's site show a lower Core Clock and higher Mem bus clock that mine? I thought the idea was to get the Core Clock as high as it can be and be stable at the expense of Mem clock settings.

Anyway, any comments, suggestions, advice, etc. most welcomed and thanks for reading!

The answer is to question.
deadeye View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:31am
Okay, I dove into 3DMark determined to see what settings in Afterburner would give me the best results and after many artifacts, tears, and crashes I am impressed with this card. It got the highest score of any EVGA GTX 1070 Ti (details don't reveal which version) among those submitted who had the same CPU (i7 6700K) as me, ranking 14th out of 648. But  due to multiple entries by the same machines, I have the 5th place rig!

And since I'm a n00b at this game and all I did was wrap a couple corsairs around the cooler and download the free version of the testing software, well, I think this Hybrid is a pretty darn good card to have. Plus it scores better than 93% of all total submissions.

Below the 3DMark best score I'll post the .png of the Afterburner settings I used for the test, and below that the best stable settings I found using Unigine. It was a fun and informative adventure but I think I'm done torturing my card with tests, time to heat it up with what I bought it for: games!!

Edited by deadeye - 28 Feb 2018 at 11:33pm
The answer is to question.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic