FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPU overheat and fan not spinning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MSY View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPU overheat and fan not spinning
    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:26am
Hi,

Ever since I got my PC in 11/2017, it would often reboot suddenly while using Adobe Lightroom, a both CPU and GPU intensive application. I thought it was a bug in the software, and so I had also completely re-installed Windows 10 from scratch and installed nothing but Adobe Lightroom. The crash never went away even on a completely bare minimum Windows install. Sometimes, I would see a "CPU Over Temperature Error".

I finally decided to troubleshoot my PC today after being fed up with Adobe's software kept rebooting the computer. I took off the CPU heat sink to verify if any Arctic Silver-type compound was on the CPU. There was. I went ahead and cleaned everything and applied a new Arctic MX-4 compound.

But then I noticed -- the CPU fan does not spin at all. I re-installed the CPU fan cable onto the CPU FAN connector on the motherboard. I also tried it on the CHASSIS FAN connector, and with both times, the CPU fan never turned on. I have not yet tried connecting an external fan to the CPU/CHASSIS FAN connectors to troubleshoot whether the motherboard is not working.

I installed GPU-Z and Real Temp GT to see what the temps are while using Jam HeavyLoad to stress the CPU. Result: CPU = 100C (at 100% CPU load). 50C - 77C at 6% load, which is excessive.

What is the CyberPowerPC CPU fan's normal operation? When should it be kicking in? I'll re-trace all the wires when I have time, but is there a way to manually turn on the fan to see if it is working at all?

No overclocking had ever been done on this PC, though I am familiar with how it works. Wiring was done by CyberPowerPC themselves.

If the CPU fan never worked before, I am perplexed how the PC passed Q&A testing since I have had the reboot problem since I got it...

Any assistance provided will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

SPECS
  • CAS: Cooler Master MasterBox 5t Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Fully Modular HDD/SSD cages & Side-Panel Window
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core Processor i7-8700K 3.70GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Coffee Lake)
  • CS_FAN: 3x RAIDMAX NV-R120 120mm RGB Hydraulic bearing Fans
  • EVGA_POWER: EVGA PowerLink Revolutionized Cable Management Adaptor [+10] (Single Adaptor)
  • FAN: CyberpowerPC Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z370-P ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready]
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
  • PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
  • VIDEO: EVGA GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti SC GAMING iCX Black Edition 11GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)

Edited by MSY - 12 Jan 2020 at 2:29am
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:38am
Are you really saying that you have had this problem for over two years?
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:12am
 "What is the CyberPowerPC CPU fan's normal operation? When should it be kicking in"

Not ragging on ya but what I don't get is you're just now noticing that your CPU fan is not spinning?? I would think it should be spinning at all times even if at a low rpm. The motherboard should control that and there are even motherboards where you can set up profiles for rpm speed to your liking depending on the situation. Your case has a glass side panel so you would easily notice it's not spinning. I look over to see if all my fans are spinning all the time. Especially when gaming. You might also install HWMonitor so you know what rpm you've been running at the whole time.
MSY View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:39am
@dforrest: Yup :) Shows you how often I use my PC... primarily for photo editing and no longer gaming (having kids will do that to you!)

@Notanymore: The only CPU fan is at the back of the PC (it's a liquid cooling system) and I just either never noticed it or assumed that there was a fan control logic in today's computers the same way that Nvidia graphics cards now only spin up the fans when needed. Knowing myself, though, I normally inspect everything upon receipt. So, maybe the fan did work at some point and then stopped.

As you can probably tell by my above replies, I rarely use my PC nowadays after Lightroom rebooted from time to time (and I had also been busy being a new dad). At one point, I did extensive troubleshooting for weeks, but the CPU overheat problem never came up until months and months later (and I had been too busy to troubleshoot that until yesterday).

Anyway, @Notanymore, you brought up a good point -- motherboard should be able to manually override the fan. I'll look into that and see. Will also check HWMonitor.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ran HWMonitor, and I have JUST remembered... Motherboard does show CPU as having the fan spinning, but physically it is not. I haven't figured out yet why that is the case as there's no other fan connected to the motherboard's 3-pin/4-pin connectors. HWMonitor reports a fan spinning too:

Motherboard reports: 29C for mainboard, 46C for CPU, CPU Fan 1201 RPM.
Intel CPU reports: 1% utilization, 56C Package CPU

EDIT 2: Moved the CPU fan to the CHASSIS connector and saw HWMonitor report the Chassis Fan spinning. This tells me that some fan IS being powered after all. Looked up Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooler and found that maybe HWMonitor is reporting the Pump fan that I cannot see or hear. The 120mm fan at the back of the PC that's not spinning may be broken, and I'll see if that can be replaced next (do not have a spare to test with.) If after replacing that fan, the CPU temp does drop, and Lightroom still crashes, I'll have given up again as I just can't figure out why that program keeps crashing the system, but I'll take that back to the Adobe threads when the time comes :)

Edited by MSY - 12 Jan 2020 at 11:58am
MSY View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm
Root cause found: External 120mm fan behind the radiator that wasn't spinning... Bad fan. Still not sure what's being reported as the CPU fan, but am assuming it's the Pump fan that's contained within the liquid cooling module that touches the CPU. Knowing what I know now about liquid cooling systems, I'll connect the replacement fan to the Chassis Fan connector on the motherboard instead so I have a way to monitor it. CyberPowerPC, take note of that instead of connecting the fan to the MOLEX...

Bad news is, I still don't know why Adobe Lightroom keeps rebooting the PC when it's stressed, but that's for another forum :)

Thanks, @Notanymore -- HWMonitor helped a lot.

Edited by MSY - 12 Jan 2020 at 12:24pm
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:35am
"Root cause found: External 120mm fan behind the radiator that wasn't spinning... Bad fan"

Yeah that is what I was thinking too after reading your first reply above. You should be seeing CPU fan reported in HWMonitor as CPUFANIN. Pump fan is on a different header and reported as something else. I don't have liquid cooling so I don't know what it is reported as in HWMonitor. The 120mm fan should be reporting as CPUFANIN though.
MSY View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:04pm
I got a replacement 120mm fan and confirmed that the motherboard connectors are all good. Unfortunately, the fan I got won't work with the radiator sink -- won't go into detail why not, but suffice to say, going to have to get another fan.

I went ahead and trashed the 120mm fan that came with the cooling system.

Regarding what the 120mm fan would report as -- there can only be 1 CPU fan, and I'm assuming that's what the pump fan should be connected to. So, the 120mm fan will be connected to one of the CHASSIS ports.

FYI -- the way liquid cooling works, based on what I've read -- CPU transfers heat to the heat sink, the pump fan transfers the heat from the CPU to the radiator via the now-hot liquid, the 120mm fan sucks the heat away from the radiator to the outside of the case (so no heat stays inside the case), and the cool liquid returns from the radiator back to the CPU to start the whole process over again.

Edited by MSY - 15 Jan 2020 at 7:07pm
MSY View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 12:06am
Update: Installed a new, $10 Thermaltake 120mm fan. Temps are now 35C at 10% load.
MSY View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
I am happy to report that swapping the failed fan seems to have brought stability to Lightroom so far. This then means that the fan has never worked then since LR crashed since the day I got the computer delivered. So much for CyberPowerPC quality checks :) (Not to mention that they offered a game as part of the purchase but ignored all my requests for the voucher)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic