FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Console Modding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jhughes2466 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhughes2466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Console Modding
    Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:50pm
I am wondering if any of my fellow forum go-ers have any modded systems? I don't really mean case mods, I'm speaking of softmods or mod-chips etc..

I currently own and have modded my Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and I guess you could include my iPhone if jailbreaking is really a mod.

I have a custom EvoX dashboard on my original Xbox and I softmodded my xbox 360 because it notoriously scratches discs, so now I can create "backups". The nintendo Wii was only so I could get the Safari internet channel that is a third party application, so when friends come over I can look cool browsing the internet on my Wii.

Just wanted to see if any other people have any mod experience out here.
TheTrickster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheTrickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 12:39pm
I have no idea what modding is/does O.o.  What does it do? 

I have a Wii (and a whole bunch of old consoles, NES, N64, ect)

Edited by TheTrickster - 17 Feb 2010 at 12:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhughes2466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 1:14pm
Modding can be a number of things, but softmodding is changing the firmware on a component to have it act a certain way.

For instance in my Xbox 360 I changed the firmware on the dvd drive so that it reads backups, so I can copy a game and then be able to play it.

On the Wii, I had to mod the motherboard firmware to accept burned games and so that I can install third party channels that aren't sanctioned by nintendo.

On my Iphone a simply mod of the firmware lets you download third party applications and themes for your iPhone so you can really use it as a personal computer and put whatever you want on it.

Theoretically with all three systems I could essentially copy or download a game image, then burn it to a dvd and play it.

The best places to find out about Xbox 360 mods that allow you to change your dashboard, play backups of games, and use hardware above microsofts specifications (Like a 500GB HDD) would be www.xbox-scene.com and ixtreme.net

The wii is wiihacks.com

For the iPhone jailbreak you need to get redsn0w for version 3.1.3.
TheTrickster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheTrickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 1:22pm
That's interesting, so say you softmod your 360 (like you did), you could rent a game and back it up to your 360 and be able to play it?  And it works fine with xbox live and everything too?
vegence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 1:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhughes2466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by vegence vegence wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33866696

Its actually closer to 1.5 million banned, and I was one of those. However I had been running iXtreme for over 2 years without being banned, so theoretically if one were to download games rather than pay the $60 price tag, then assuming you played a modest 15 games a year that would be $1800 in games over a two year period, which would more than pay for the banned system.

Now however there is a new version of iXtreme called LT for Lite Touch that does not attempt to stealth through the corrupt video partition because of the current string of new wave formats, instead of patches on the fly and only with games that come from REAL rips, which means they can be verified as authentic through ABGX.

So essentially it just means that although microsoft finally caught on, the stealth patches are now better than ever and will probably go another 2-3 years which will probably end up being the remainder of the life of the xbox 360, so I'm pleased with that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhughes2466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2010 at 11:53am
Originally posted by TheTrickster TheTrickster wrote:

That's interesting, so say you softmod your 360 (like you did), you could rent a game and back it up to your 360 and be able to play it?  And it works fine with xbox live and everything too?

Yep, usually you have to flash the firmware in your computer's dvd drive in order to read the xbox format, which is simple enough. Then you simply rip the game, burn it on a dual layer dvd and play it.

Recently however with the release of Modern Warfare 2, Microsoft figured a way to detect the patched systems by releasing new wave formats. The short version is in every game there is a video partition of a certain size and certain value, that partition was used as the "code" to say that the game is authentic. MS released a new wave with COD MW 2, and began banning over 1.5 million consoles.

About a month later the hackers of course figured a way to stop this because now MS could just change the video partition size at any time, so now the stealth patches only work on verified games (meaning that it wasn't an iso ripped that was later patched and changed region codes). So now you at least have to have a game in your region that has the correct video partition and instead of using a one size fits all video size, once the game is verified through a program called ABGX360 then that video size is automatically stealth patched and layered into the .iso so when you burn it to a dual layer dvd its actually as real as one bought from the store.

It sounds complicated but the whole process takes about 10 minutes to do everything and then you burn it. I'd explain the steps, but I believe that would be piracy and is illegal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic