Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer won't turn on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Esquirenapalm View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esquirenapalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer won't turn on
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 1:10pm
So just over a year ago I upgraded my computer to a Cyberpower GUA4100B(will include specs below), and it worked like a charm, besides a fan that needed replacement. But a few days ago after I turned it off and returned a few hours later, it refused to start. No bios screen, no lights, no PSU or HDD fans spinning. I called tech support, and they were generally unhelpful, but that wasn't exactly their fault, as it's hard to fix a computer from a telephone. They recommended testing the PSU with a paperclip test, and that made the fans go, so I know it isn't the PSU being shot(I still need to replace it, it's not exactly a quality piece of hardware). I also tried jumping the CMOS with a screwdriver.  I've got no idea what could be wrong with it, so any help would be much appreciated.
Specs:
GPU: GTX 1070(EVGA FTW 8 gigs of ram)
CPU: AMD FX 8320
RAM: 24(16 to start, added 8) gigs of DDR3
PSU: ATA-800FB-B Bronze (yea I know)
Win10 64bit
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:21am
The Paperclip test is not full proof.

ATA PSU??, 

Man with nothing happening to go by of course the first thing is the PSU. Check cords, are all the connections seated?

To isolate things, you can start by removing RAM a stick at a time, you can remove the GPU. If you have done all these things your getting down to the MOBO or PSU. when you do this disconnect everything except the mouse & keyboard.

Take a good look at the PSU to see if there is any discoloring, burning,etc. Do you smell anything, burn't electrical wires, etc. Any overheating on the MOBO.

If after removing RAM a stick at a time then trying it and removing the GPU and trying it. If nothing works I would replace the PSU (EVGA, Thermaltake, Coolmasterm XFX, Corsiar). Then try it.

Off hand it really sounds like a PSU failure where you "may" have gotten lucky and not fired other components.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

gladirl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gladirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:58am
I'd start by replacing the PSU anyway as GAN said. 

If it still won't boot. Reseat the RAM (try 1 stick at a time) and GPU and check for any loose cables.

Hopefully not a MOBO/CPU issue, but it can happen. I had a CPU issue after taking my PC out of storage. My PC would not boot. Tried all the tests and it turned out to be the CPU. Luckily the Intel CPU I had was still under warranty and I was able to work directly with Intel to get a replacement.

So depending on the issue you may be able to work directly with the manufacturer of whatever part is causing the issue. 

Let us know what happens! I'm always curious to know what the causes are!

KingOfChaos View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingOfChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:53am
It might have gotten bricked by Microsofts attempt to fix the Spectre bug.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:38am
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esquirenapalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 2:57pm
So I went out and bought a new psu, an evga 600b, hooked everything up all nice and pretty, and what do you know the damn thing won't work. I've taken ram out, and my gpu, nothing. I also took out the cmos and waiting about five minutes, still nothing. What do guys?
Rhyalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhyalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:46pm
Try a new power cable and outlet...

When you replaced the PSU, was the system still totally silent when you went to turn it on?

Have you examined the motherboard for possible damage?

R

i7-8700K / Gigabyte Aorus 5
Corsair H110i
16GB DDR4 RAM
3TB HDD
1TB WD Blue SSD
500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2
GTX 1080 8GB
Phantek Enthoo Pro
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esquirenapalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:48pm
I'll try a new outlet, what would I be looking for as far as mobo damage
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:03am
From the new PSU, if your still not getting any network light on the MOBO, no fans, no HD spin up, no beep codes. It looks like a MOBO fried.

Verify all components are plugged in & seated. double check the main board power connection. I have a PSU tester myself to check all harness connections to verify there are no issues with a PSU, most people don't really buy one.

Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esquirenapalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:30am
My psu came with a test thing and everything was kosher, luckily my friend has a mobo he hasn't used in a long time with a compatible chipset. I'm going to verify it works and save up to build a new computer, as at this point it's getting silly. Thanks for all the advice guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic