FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a new laptop - Beware - Might catch fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cayennel View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cayennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a new laptop - Beware - Might catch fire
    Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 5:01pm
Hello,

I decided to buy a new laptop roughly around 5/10/16, due to the fact my desktop was almost 10 years old and I needed to be able to move around without the hassle of trying to always setup my desktop. I purchased a laptop that cost about $1300 and had 3-7 day express shipping; I get the laptop and notice that it's very slow, it kept freezing and so on; I take a look at my Devices and Drives and notice that I'm missing one of my hard drives; I contacted technical support and they kept saying it was impossible for it to be missing items that should have come with the laptop (which wasn't just the hard drive, I was also missing virus protections and a few other things) After spending roughly a hour on the phone with the help desk, we came to the conclusion that I was indeed missing parts, and that the laptop needed to be sent back to get the products installed. Roughly a WEEK later, I finally got the free postage to return the laptop (now keep in mind I paid about $100 to have my laptop sent to me fast.

It took them about three weeks to get the laptop back to me, my classes had already started and I was lugging around a giant desktop everywhere; I was very excited to have the laptop back, even though in the end I ended up getting access to it 5 weeks after I had needed it, while inspecting the laptop I notice a tiny crack on the bottom of the laptop on one of the vents; needless to say I wasn't very happy. I decided not to contact customer support, because their answer would most likely be to send it back; and I needed the laptop, It just wasn't feasible for me to be out of mobile computer for another couple of weeks.

Now, fast forward a couple of months, and to my surprise while playing Subnautica my laptop caught Fire, as in full on flames and smoke fire, as in I got a little burned fire. The casing had some scorch damage to it, and the laptop was completely dead. While talking to customer support, they once again denied the possibility of this happening (even though I had family that had seen this happen, and we all got to smell the smoke and burning) but they did send me a return postage stamp to get it fixed, I had this laptop less than a year at this point. Once I got the laptop back; I immediately noticed they hadn't fixed the case, the burn damage was still there; but not only that, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my brain that the left side fans/vents didn't seem to put out as much air as the other side. But I put it off as being hyper critical.

Now we're back to the current time frame of 12/27/17, at the start of the month the laptop went down again, unfortunately, my warranty was expired by about a month.... I currently have the computer with a computer tech, and he has had the laptop for around a month now. The fans are shot, he can see fire damage from the last incident, that was not fixed. Basically, it is going to be more expensive to fix the laptop than it is to get a new one. This laptop isn't even two years old, and the worst thing is; I convinced my family that cyberpower was worth buying from. My father bought a almost $2000 laptop from them, and he has had nothing but problems with it. He is completely done interacting with customer support, because every time he gets the laptop back, it has more problems.

This is about $3000 worth of laptops that have been a constant pain in the butt. I never got money back from my express shipping, and I now have no laptop to use and my college classes start in about 15 days. Thank you very much cyberpower for taking my money and giving me a product that physically damaged me, and overall has made me despise your company. I doubt anyone I know will ever buy a product from you, because I will be there to explain why not to.

PS. Buying from them not only damages your wallet, but your physical and mental health too.

PS to the PS. Buyer beware. Also cyberpower, you might want to fix the FIRE issue before you get sued, or start fixing the customer computers that did catch fire.

Edited by cayennel - 28 Dec 2017 at 3:57pm
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 5:09am
I hate to hear this. Many times we see complaints that are exaggerated or about small issues. Your one of the few I can honestly say you got the short end of the stick.

One thing the membership suggests is post on the message board their budget and what a system is for. We can often save someone cash and get them a solid build, especially on desktops. 

We never suggest rushing a shipment, it is a waste of cash. Mostly we do our best on desktops, there are so many variables to select. Laptops on the other hand don't have many variables and I even hesitate to suggest one. Most all of CP's laptops are built by a company in China and then re-branded to CP. We had another person on here looking for a MOBO for a 5 year old one and couldn't find it. Several years ago my son bought one from CP and had good luck with it, when it started having issues we checked one out from CP and other companies. We ended up finding a better deal and went with it.

We have a total of 6 systems over near 8 years, we had issues with two desktops that got resolved. Things we knew not to go with saved us some potential issues. This is why we ask potential customers to post on the message board their max budget and what the system is for, over 90% of these are desktops and we have a good track record of helping customers.

In your instance your best possibility is checking with your State. Some state have a Lemon Law, 3 problems with items and you can go after a refund. I am sure CP won't offer this off hand, but you can ask. I would PM CyberHD about it. I know it doesn't help you much at this time, I think you have an extreme instance as to why, I have no idea.

One thing to mention to all, is be very careful with Laptop cooling. In this case I have no idea if a cooling pad was used or not. These things can get real hot. The newer systems don't seem to be affected as much. In my town about 3 years ago their were 2 or 3 College kids that died in an apartment fire. It was contributed to a laptop charging on a bed that caught fire. Be cautious.

Edited by GAN1957 - 28 Dec 2017 at 5:09am
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

cayennel View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cayennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 3:52pm
Hello Gan1957,

This laptop was indeed on a cooling pad at all times that it was being used, it was never set on a blanket, bed, fabric; or anything that would cause it to retain extra heat. I always had short protection chargers, etc; I have always tried my very best to protect my laptops to my best ability. The last laptop I had to this day still runs and it's now 12 years old; I did however give it to one of my friends two years back though, so it's no help to me now. I live in California right now, and I know we do have the lemon law here.

I didn't get on here to go "Hey look, I want a refund', Would it be nice; Yes, it would. I for the most part would just like my laptop fixed, how it should have been in the first place. If it had been properly looked at, and proper checks were done, the issues that caused it to catch fire most likely never would have happened. It is also to try to kinda be like hey, look; Once is a rarity, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a problem. I'm lucky that I was awake, and that my family was awake when it caught fire. Things could have gone much worse; death, burning down of my house, etc. The second I smelt smoke, and caught flickers of flame, I smothered the laptop to reduce air to fuel the fire, yanked out the power cord, so the flames went out a lot quicker than it most likely would have if I did not do that.

My issue is also about how blase they are being about a issue that can, and at some point most likely will cause death if they don't figure out what causes a laptop to randomly combust. The laptop gave no warnings if it was overheating, it wasn't hot to the touch, etc. 

My laptop (if I'm remembering this correctly, is a Tracer II 15, with some upgrades, I also agree rushing a shipment is a waste, I just needed it fast, so I purchased it; I very much regret every doing so.
Cyber_Tech2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyber_Tech2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 4:37pm
Hello cayennel, I'm sorry for the experience you're having with your laptop. If you can DM me with your customer# and email. I will dig around and see if we can try to provide you with some help in resolving this issue.
Regards, Cyber_Tech2
Tech Support 888-900-5180/877-876-4965 or 626-869-0228.
Email:[email protected]
Please email [email protected] for status checks on RMA or repairs.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:52am
Best of luck

If it is any helps, once one of the Admins gets involved things tend to happen.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Cyber_Tech2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyber_Tech2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 12:26pm
thanks gan keep up the amazing work buddy! Thanks for your help and support!
Regards, Cyber_Tech2
Tech Support 888-900-5180/877-876-4965 or 626-869-0228.
Email:[email protected]
Please email [email protected] for status checks on RMA or repairs.
cayennel View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cayennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts GAN1957, I greatly appreciate it.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 5:50am
Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic