FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bowling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rediornot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rediornot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bowling
    Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 12:31pm
I have learned how to bowl properly in 1971 at loring afb, maine. I have bowled most of my adult life and even coached and taught coaches how to teach. never pro.
eight years ago I got cancer and had intensive treatments and stopped bowling. I had used a 16 lb ball, but had trouble controlling it after treatments so went to a 14 lb.  still wasn't confortable.
this summer an old friend of mine invited me to join him for the summer league, it is a non sanctioned, 9 pin no tap league, if you get 9 pins it counts as a strike.
for the first 2 weeks I really struggled to get my body to do what I wanted it to do. bowling is a muscle memory sport. if you want the same results every time you need fluid motion, letting the ball do the work and keeping the ball in line with your pivot point, your shoulder.
I had a great time over the summer and we did not finish in last place. I will be enjoying the winter league at the end of this month and it will be a sanctioned one. its good to be back.
phanteks ethoo pro msi z170a m7 i5-6600k 4.38ghz 16gb gskill ram deepcool capt 240 cooler asus 1080 x 8 strix evga 750gq toshiba 480&240 ssd benq2765 gskill 780r keyboard&mouse [email protected] #142900
crawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 2:45pm
Yeah, we are joining a league that starts in Sept.  And of course we chucked all our gear about 10 years ago. Being in our 50's and from the pre internet generation ( Baby Boomers ). We got to bowl on real wood with rubber balls back then. Picked up the bright plastic balls that spun like a top for a while. Then Ebonite had a urethane ball called a Thunderbolt. Back when Hammer's, U-dots, and Rhinos ruled the PBA. Had a few 700 series with the Thunderbolt, good times.

I tried the Storm Firestorm for a season when it came out a good decade ago. But kept going back to the Columbia Gold dot.

Got some sticker shock looking at todays prices on intermediate gear.  $60 to drill a ball from the internet at the local pro shop. Or pay his price , some more fair than others.

We all went with the new reactive cover Brunswick Rhino.  Drilled for about $100 each.  If I need a ball for some heavy oil , Christmas may come early.

Overclocked I5 , Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse 8gb
16gb of Corsair Vengeance ram
500gb Samsung 850 EVO
rediornot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rediornot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 6:53pm
every time I went to a tournament it was not enough oil was the problem. I throw a hook and had a ninja master after the core broke down I went to a storm also. and my 6 to 10 board hook turned into 16 boards.
but yes, it is nice to be back.
phanteks ethoo pro msi z170a m7 i5-6600k 4.38ghz 16gb gskill ram deepcool capt 240 cooler asus 1080 x 8 strix evga 750gq toshiba 480&240 ssd benq2765 gskill 780r keyboard&mouse [email protected] #142900
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:55am
Not a bowler, can barely stay off the foul line.

But congrats on beating the crap out of the big "C".

Stay Strong. Thumbs Up
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic