Need Help? We're here for you.
Order online or Call (800)707-0393
Live chat with a representative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD GPU drivers WARNING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD GPU drivers WARNING
    Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 5:22am
Everyone

From a personal experience here. My son has a AMD GPU R9 390. He replaced it about a year ago as an upgrade. The price was better than the nearest NVIDIA GPU specs. So far until his recent driver update.

The latest driver update basically crashed his GPU. We are both very well versed in step we can take to correct just about any issue with a PC. He spent 4 hours the other evening attempting to correct this problem. He tried a clean install of the drivers once in regular mode and once in safe mode. This didn't work. He tried a system restore point, that didn't work. He tried a clean install on two other previous version of the drivers. That didn't work.

Then he started checking around. There is class action suit against AMD for this issue. It appears they bought out another company and tried to adjust drivers to work for both. Needless to say it didn't work.

So far everything we tried has not worked. It appears to fix the issue AMD currently doesn't know how. One may be able to get into the "chip" on the GPU  and make changes but there is not clear path for that either.

So currently he is using his integrated GPU so at least he can get on his system. We ordered a new Nvidia 1070. Which for all instances seem to be on back order at a lot of location, maybe due to this issue, unless you order 6 or so at the same time as a package deal.

I would really hesitate if you have an AMD GPU to update the drivers, I would not suggest purchasing one currently (I'm an Nvidia fan anyway). If you do have one and experienced this problem you may look into the class action lawsuit, which we are.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

rexr View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rexr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:07am
Thanks for the heads up. I will stick with the GPU drivers i have until AMD gets it straightened out.
ssskelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssskelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:02pm
For what it's worth, I've never heard of this recall. There was some confusion back in 2016 where Newegg mistakenly sent out notices including the R9 with some Nvidia cards. Neither were actually part of law suits (although other Nvidia cards have been). Could that have been it?

Edited by ssskelton - 24 Apr 2018 at 5:04pm
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:17am
No I don't believe so. It is not a recall. AMD has at least 2 suits going on, the most heard about is with the Spectre fail. Last year there was a tie in for both the Nvidia 970 & the R9's

The only reason I am aware of it is it happened to my sons system. Just withing the past 2 months. I agree I can't find anything directly addressing a driver issue. Can say though my Son spent 3 hours after a AMD GPU driver update trying to get it resolved, never did.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

ssskelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssskelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by GAN1957 GAN1957 wrote:

AMD has at least 2 suits going on, the most heard about is with the Spectre fail. 
To clarify for those who might not follow tech news, basically all chipmakers are facing lawsuits related to Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities. Intel chips are potentially effected by all variants, while AMD was for 2 of the 3.

Incredibly both Intel and AMD had Windows updates go out shortly after the public announcement of the vulnerabilities that caused serious problems for some people. 

Intel is facing at least 32 class action lawsuits (some of those around a large stock sale by the CEO prior to the public release of news but after internally they were informed) and AMD has at least 4 of their own to deal with. 

It's safe to say that nobody handled this situation well, and it's going to cost them both.
GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 7:02am
Elaborating, my first post only related to AMD GPU drivers, form personal experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic