FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice sought on a new build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TerryK View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice sought on a new build
    Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:21am
I haven't upgraded my computer for years and I'm a bit out of touch with some of the new developments. Any advice is more than welcome.
I'm not a gamer but I'm setting up a gaming computer for the graphics capabilities (I do 3D work and animation).
It's already a bit out of budget but I don't see how I could lower the price and keep the basic components I want.

I'm posting the configuration I've set up, with a couple of questions at the end on stuff I'm not clear about.

*BASE_PRICE: [+1555]
CABLE: None
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CAS: CyberPowerPC INFERNO Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ RGB, USB 3.0, Tempered Glass Window (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CC: None
CD: None
COOLANT: None
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor [+134]
CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Case Fans for your selected case [+9]
ENGRAVING: None
EVGA_POWER: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance [-5] (Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition [+7])
HDD: 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 5000/4400 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 750/700k [+119] (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
INSTRUCTION: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC RGB 7 Color Premium Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+30] (Corsair Vengeance LPX [+9])
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX w/ WiFi, RGB, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
MOUSE: CyberPowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply [+64]
PRO_WIRING: None
PROJECTOR: None
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 5 to 10 Business Days
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SLI_BRIDGE: None
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: GeForce® RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
WNC: None
WTV: None
_PRICE: (+1941)

Notes:
-- I know the 3900x might be overkill but every saved hour counts.
-- I'd rather get 32GB of RAM but the price difference from 2x8GB to 2x16GB is about the same as a 2x16GB set. It implies the 2x8GB is worth nothing :)
-- I went for air cooling to minimize any future maintenance that liquid might require. The computer will end up in a place where good tech support is not easy to find.

-- IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports. What's this for? I assume the case already has the connectors (connected to the mobo and working) that are supported (USB 2 and 3 and the rest). Why the need for extra addons?
-- The RTX 2070's info, goes off to NVidia. Does this mean it's actually a board made by them or is it from some unknown 3rd party?
-- The motherboard claims WiFi support. Will it run as is or does it require some extra card/antenna?
-- References to "RGB" all over the place. I assume it refers to light effects from some hardware components to make it more game-like. Can they be disabled if I don't want them?

I guess that's about it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GAN1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAN1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:12am
You can add additional RAM when you can afford it. This model doesn't seem to have a real high profile. Some of the high profile makes it hard to add additional since the  Coolmaster 212 may block the additional slots. If that is the case you would need to completely swap out to 2 x 16 to get your 32GB's of RAM.

As far as cooling, as long as you get a "sealed" cooler, I would look at a 240mm, you don't have near the problems to worry about as an open loop system. Sure they can leak, usually these types of problems are far and few between and yes you may have a pump issue. The Coolmaster 212 is tried and true.

MOBO with Wi/Fi would be capable and should have antenna connections on the rear.

You have "8" USB ports on the rear IO panel. that is a lot, 2 of these are the slower 2.0 versions. The internal ports will connect your front USB and any additional devices you may wish to add, like extra rear ports.

Yes RGB is for fancy lighting, something I have no use for. Anything connected to the MOBO will be adjustable.

I like Nvidia myself, if your trying to shave costs look at the AMD RX 5700 XT, it is about $75.00 cheaper and pulls slightly ahead of the 2070. Overall if your not gaming you can easily drop a notch with your GPU. As far as made by "Nvidia"  you talking about architecture. It can be made by many manufactures to follow a set of specs. For instance you can have Asus, Power Color, Gigabyte, EVGA,  MSI all based off of NVIDIA Architecture

You can shave off some cash by going with a smaller NVMe drive and an additional storage drive. Add  more later.

Use checkout code spring0410 or NORUSH for 5% off the total

Get the ultra care packing plan if you are shipping it and the premium warranty. If you don't get the warranty and even if it arrives dead you will have to pay to ship it back. The premium warranty gets you a full year of free shipping in case you have an issue.
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan; I do whenever I hear the ceol mor, the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

TerryK View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 6:46am
Thank you much for the pointers.

So nothing dramatically wrong with my configuration.

I'll add the extra connector for the front USB ports to avoid crawling behind the desk.
For graphics, I have to stick with NVidia because some programs I use support only that (but that RX 5700 looks nice).

On the WiFi's "should have antenna connections in the rear", does that mean I have to get a separate antenna? Is it some option I missed or any off the shelf antenna would do?

Regards.

Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:38am
I'm thinking the Ryzen stock cooler may be better choice than that Hyper 212 you selected. That's a really awesome stock cooler. The new Ryzens don't run hot at all. The 3900X hit 68 on a stock cooler during testing. That's it. Should be fine as long as you're not overclocking. With 3700X you can OC to your hearts content with the stock cooler and it will max out at 76 for comparison. I'd max out the fan count with 6 fans. Seems a shame to have the Inferno case and not have RGB in the front. I just turned mine off to see what it looks like then I quickly turned it back on. That's better....LOL! Your choice though. MOBO has WIFI on board.

Edited by Notanymore - 12 Jul 2019 at 11:44am
TerryK View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
Thanks for the heads up.
I'll save on the cooler and spend it on the fans :)
It takes 6 of them eh? How about the noise level with all those things running? I'm used to it myself but my wife can pick it up from two rooms away and she gets annoyed.
crawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:04pm
 If your going to work this CPU ...get a sealed liquid cooler like the

Asetek 570LXL 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate 

mine has been trouble free since 2013.

I think you can find faster write speeds for the money your spending so look into that as well.

I like the Ryzen Wraith air cooler , it may be fine...but its not a good liquid cooler for workloads.
Overclocked I5 , Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse 8gb
16gb of Corsair Vengeance ram
500gb Samsung 850 EVO
Notanymore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 3:19pm
I have 6 Enermax TB RGB fans. Totally quiet even with RPM maxed out unless room temperature hits 70F or below then they rattle for a bit and go quiet. Don't know what the deal is with room temperature and why that is but this info is accurate. You MOBO and RAM temps benefit greatly from having more fans.
dforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Notanymore Notanymore wrote:

Your MOBO and RAM temps benefit greatly from having more fans
............. as long as they are properly positioned to give a subtitle airflow to the case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic