FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$3k build?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vette108 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vette108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $3k build?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 1:13pm

Suggest a build in the $3k neighborhood (I can spend more but really don't want to unless it's a really great deal I can't pass up.)

History...Alienware customer 387 (that's around 1997 dsl just came out) every time I call customer service they suggest we do a "drive image" wipe and reload windows. 2 16 mg graphics cards in SLI and an 8mg agp card (I got 40 and thought at the time it was a killer rig) I still don't really know what all that means.

1st Cyberpower system because why pay more money for a system that is just going to fail anyway. I pretty much just choose what the magazines suggested or I used the buy the best/most expensive philosophy. I was plesently surprised the cyberpower didn't crash like the Alienware did. Last thing Comp. USA said was the motherboard is shot and they went out of business (well tiger direct bought 'em). May as well buy a new system with all new stuff.

2nd Cyberpower system with liquid cooling about 2 years after buying it the beeping starts the coolant is low. Being a car guy I try to add actual anti freeze to the system (fail) I did it because I had lost/misplaced my syringe for adding coolant (coolant was/is probably with the syringe). FYI: I'm addicted to MMO's and don't want to send the system back for repairs; it takes to long (read I can't stop for a week or so I need to keep playing)  Late at night I decide I can remove the liquid cooling and go with air cooled (really...? Do I have to say it? that failed and I found out that touching the CPU seconds after start up is HOT! ) I used to work scraping computers for Sperry (1984-1988) I can take stuff apart, i realize that doesn't make me a computer technician. Well I took it to a local computer repair shop and they are clueless regarding liquid cooling and they get me up again with a Zalman fan on the CPU like $80 and $ for diagnois, install. It lasts until my hard drive makes a grinding noise.

Custom system (local)...My uncle died and left me some money so I decided to buy a whole new system. I spent $4k; Antec case with a big fan up top and I like the quieter fans I had added to the last system so I got them on this one as well (my computer is in my bedroom and I download games while I sleep). I7 chip is just out and I got a 1000w Corsair (failed within the first year but was replaced free, but took 3+ weeks, so I have an off brand power supply they had available right NOW! I told you I can't wait) I've now decided to go with the back up computer plan which is one system for surfing the internet and one for gaming only. If the gaming system has to go in for repair the second one will handle the MMO until the gamer is fixed.

HP refurbishedShocked (saw that on the box loading it into my car)...Refurbished means it's already failed once, I don't buy refurbished. The salesman said the I7 chip was faster tan the one I had in the last system and I added a nvidia 1.2gb 560 GTX Ti 448 cores graphics card. I have no idea what the 448 cores is but it was made to sound better than the one wothout 448 cores. I believe this card overheats and my computer locks up after a pop and the blue screen comes up. I have to hold the start button until the computer re-starts itself. Very frustrating when in the middle of a MMO. Side cover is now off and window air conditioner runs 24/7 (lol, in Minnestoa) in my bedroom.

OK so I want/need a new computer system. I liked the idea last buy of buying better than I had before but not the newest technology; it save me money like the CPU a I7 3930x is $500 less than a I7 3970x, I see the 3820 is $300 less again and fster but only 4 cores (I'm sure 6 is better but not sure why). also wouldn't it be better for the 2133mhx ram speed for and extra $63 over 1866? I see the new train of thought is have a seperate ssd drive for your OS, why aren't the biggest read and write numbers used? I see the intel with 550 read and 520 write as an example. Also is a 128 better than a 64? I used to know the 10,000 rpm hard drives made for better gaming is that still true?

Basically I used the Zeus Thunder build as a guide and the current bonus deals to build a PC around $3k. Now I do know cars, specifically the 1991 Corvette. I know there are builders that sell hype, I also know there are builders that test and re test for real world answers. Sometimes you must use all the same parts that complement each other; other times there are superior replacements within that set. My best example here is everyone has heard of K&N air filters and they are good, but NOT the best. This doesn't stop people from calling them the best, or sellers from selling them. One more example...I looked at buying tires there was one tire reviewed that got 100%, the tire I thought I wanted was around 85%. The 100% tire was reviewed by one person; the 85% tire was reviewed by 230k people. If you're that one guy and just spent money on tires and get a survey do you fill out the survey and say "yup I'm an idiot and bought crappy tires" or fill it out with 5 stars implying you made a sound investment?

regarding video cards (I like nvidia) If i get a 2gb card or 4gb card will I see a difference? MY 40 inch LCD monitor (LED next time this thing puts out heat in the summertime, 64" Plasma in the basement for movies puts out the heat as well) is only good for the 1900x1080p. I see 5660 TV sets for $17k (I can't justify one of those...yet).

overclocking??? Should I or shouldn't I?...I've never had it done and I now see a warranty available if I get it done. Why wouldn't you do it? Is maximum frames per second necessary? 100, 200, 300+

I'm 46 years old can buy what I want and currently use a 40 inch monitor and all Razer periphals; keyboard, epic mouse and the Belkin 52e pad. I'm looking for stability and longevity and an edge over the younger (ok all of the MMO players). MMO players. any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

oops wrong section.

Edited by Vette108 - 29 Jan 2013 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic