New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 13-yr Old Sidewinder Joystick is Still Relevant!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Login Login

13-yr Old Sidewinder Joystick is Still Relevant!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ubercake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubercake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13-yr Old Sidewinder Joystick is Still Relevant!!!
    Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 6:55am
I just got my new Cyberpower rig and it came with HAWX.  I had to break out the old throwback Sidewinder from a plastic tote that has moved with me over the years.  This thing even has the game port to USB converter on it!

It works like a champ!
Coolio831 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolio831 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
what model sidewinder
I got a spare car battery in the garage that I can rig a 12V rail to for your next budget config.... not only could it be SLI/XFire ready, but its Honda ready too. - By MotoriousRacing
BinaryBummer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryBummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 9:44pm
Augh yes,  I have the SideWinder Force Feedback out in the garage..  Sad I can't use it on this new system...  It don't have any place to plug it up too.  Does not come with gaming port and I thought I could intergrate my Creative dual USB/Gamining port addon but nope.. no place on the Mobo to support it.  If I want the gaming adapter if they don't sell a mod then I have to take out the creative card and reconfigure my cards in my new system..
CP installed the 2 Video cards and then used the last PCI to fit the PCIx1 card (Kiler Xeno Pro NIC) into.. Made no sense when I have 2 free PCIx1 ports before the 1st PCIx16 port.. Seems to me I could use them ehh...
Wonder how much trouble to reconfigure the Killer NIC though?

I used to play the Falcon 4.0 all the time.  It was the best SIM in its day.  Though buggy and loads of patches and qwerks when it worked its really realistic to all aspects, Air to Air bombing missions, etc. Loved the FFeedback with that game

Edited by BinaryBummer - 15 Mar 2010 at 9:57pm
Include your Customer Order Number in your post if you are having Issues This helps Tech Support to review your system.
Times, dates, phone/cell number/s you can be contacted at.
gogo809 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogo809 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:19pm
I remember getting my sidewinder....ah, the happiness of blowing up TIE fighters with an awesome joystick...
Need help? Confused, have questions. Feel free to ask. Tech Savy? Feel free to help!
http://core-authority.com/phpBB3/index.php

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryBummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 9:37pm
I got mine for playing in the Virtual Flight Squadron.  We played Falcon 4.0

Game was awesome when everyone patched it to the same patch and set all the configs files exactly the same this game was the best simulator for its time.
Air to air air to ground missions, different maps and terrain, heck once you learned the game you could actually make your own missions completly customized. we would dog fight do low level flights just awesome.
It sported 104 key functions.  you had a beginners mode that was easy to use and then you could go expert to where it was like the real deal, to much throttle on take of you do damage, to fast lowering your landing gear you do damage,  weapon loadouts are all realistic and if I could get a adapter for the Gaming port (USB type) I would try to fly again.
This game has been bought up by a different company and is now called FALCON 4 ALLIED FORCE
Last time I tried it on my other puter it was still buggy so I left it at that..
This machine would be the greatest to play on if it works!
I have the MS digital Joystick and the MS Force Feedback Joystick and the MS Sidewinder controller as well.

Here is a OLD article on them. I played when this unit was under complete redesign switching from plastics to metal.  The Air Force does use these for training. they are Mil Spec.

Cheers!
Include your Customer Order Number in your post if you are having Issues This helps Tech Support to review your system.
Tanith_2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanith_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 12:46am
Yep yep yep, the MS Sidewinder stick is still a kick !!! I especially like its action for Mechwarrior IV ! And speaking of Falcon 4.0, I still have it in the original box (methinks on 5 1/4 Diskettes though... lol..)
ubercake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubercake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 4:14am
My sidewinder joystick came with the gameport to USB adapter.  My video capabilities couldn't even play the games that came with it.

At the time, I got it just to play Fighter Ace.  The first real multi-player online game over a phone modem (beside card games).  Now I'm playing HAWX with it.  Even customizing the controls.

No force feedback here.  That was for them rich folk.
Spedo
CMPSU-950TX
GA-X58A-UD3
i7-930
Corsair H50
HyperX DDR3 1600
2X Radeon 5850
X25-M SSD (Boot)
2x 500GB WD Black Edition (apps/data)
LG DVD+-RW
Big MOH and NBA 2K11 Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinaryBummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 6:04pm
Oh!  That Pickels...   I don't have no port to USB adapter...  Closest thing I have is a old pci creative sound card that has one for the header on the card..
Won't work in the new rig..Cry

Tanith_2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanith_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:37pm
Coolio831:

MS Sidewinder Precision Pro here.......
ubercake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubercake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:50am
Anyone remember those darn trim switches on the Mach 3.  You could never get them quite right.  Just when you thought you had it, you'd start to drift left or right; up or down.

I'm glad I haven't see a trim switch in 15 years.
Spedo
CMPSU-950TX
GA-X58A-UD3
i7-930
Corsair H50
HyperX DDR3 1600
2X Radeon 5850
X25-M SSD (Boot)
2x 500GB WD Black Edition (apps/data)
LG DVD+-RW
Big MOH and NBA 2K11 Fan
 Post Reply Post Reply