New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - XTremeGear 800 Watt Power Supply - Another Failure
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XTremeGear 800 Watt Power Supply - Another Failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pulse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XTremeGear 800 Watt Power Supply - Another Failure
    Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:48pm
I purchased a brand new top-of-the-line cyberpower PC about a month ago. I was very careful configuring it and made sure every component had excellent on-line reviews on other sites.

The ONE item that I (naively) did not verify was the power supply. That was a failure on my part, to be sure. At the same time, I expected better from a company that has so many positive reviews online (Cyberpower, that is).

When I received the computer, I noticed some very interesting problems. Upon power on, all the lights and fans would turn on, then turn off for 5-6 seconds, then turn back on. I shrugged it off as being an unfamiliar machine.

Next, I had trouble with USB ports dropping devices. This was where my first bit of dissatisfaction set in.

Next, I started getting some crash-to-desktops and reboots while running Skyrim. I blamed it on Bethesda, because they're known to code buggy PC games.

Then I decided I wanted a second video card to crossfire with my first 6950. Upon installation - crash. Got it to boot into windows and install the drivers, but upon crossfire enable: crash. Reboot. Enable crossfire: crash. Reinstall operating system, all drivers, enable crossfire: crash.

So I searched. And searched. Then I came across the complaints about this power supply. So I went out and purchased a brand new Corsair, installed it..... and voila. I had not changed drivers, I had not reinstalled the operating system, yet the crashes all went away. My USB devices started functioning properly. Crossfire enables and disables without a problem. The computer now powers up as I would expect it to (it turns on the first time you push the button).

Cyberpower, can you really afford to continue putting these absolutely horrible power supplies in your computers? Literally dozens of forum threads come up when searching about the power supplies, and every one says the same thing.

DO NOT put Xtremegear power supplies in your new computer builds.   You WILL regret it.
ackro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ackro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:03am
yup... xtremegear psu are PC killers. After I got 2 consecutive broken computers from cyberpower  I just went out and built my own. Put a corsair TX 750 in it and I love it.
Freebird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 9:35am
I agree.  Makes no sense to even offer faulty components as it is very negative PR.   They should focus on building goodwill with quality components, not cheap verifiable faulty components.
vegence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Pulse Pulse wrote:

Cyberpower, can you really afford to continue putting these absolutely horrible power supplies in your computers? Literally dozens of forum threads come up when searching about the power supplies, and every one says the same thing.

sadly i think they can afford to do this. while these power supplys have a high failure rate i imagine there are tons of them shipped out that we never hear about. so even though they are a really bad choice i bet they have a good profit margin overall on these things.

also since they wont change your power supply to a good brand after purchase alot of people get these piece of sh*t power supplys and realize it to late and end up replacing the power supply at there own expense to avoid having another peice of sh*t installed by cyber power just for it to break down a month later.

DGWalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by vegence vegence wrote:

[while these power supplys have a high failure rate i imagine there are tons of them shipped out that we never hear about.

I'm one who got one and has had no problems. Then again, I don't put too much load on it: I'm running a Radeon 5770 now along with other average components, with (currently) no overclocking, and it's been fine for me. But I wouldn't (and don't) recommend it, especially for a higher end system. I'm contemplating a video card upgrade; if I get a 6850 or 6870 I'd probably chance it at first, but if I go with a 6950 (chances are good on that) then I would replace the XtremeGear PSU (when I bought it 2½ years ago it was branded as Cyberpower and came commonly recommended for non-high end systems), probably with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028 and put the XtremeGear in the crummy HP, off the shelf at Best Buy computer we have in our living room. Then, when I do get a 6950 (or equivalent) I'd put the 5770 in the HP (which comes with a meager 250 watt PSU) so we could make use of it's HDMI port. 

The reason that CP sells XtremeGear is because it's the "house brand", like Sam's Choice is Walmart's or Safeway Select is Safeway's. People on a budget are the ones who buy Safeway Select cola, even though they'd probably rather have Pepsi...and Safeway has their house brand stuff made for them at a cheap price, which in turn they can offer at a cheap price. It's likely the same with CP's XtremeGear stuff.

There is an old, but very true, adage: you get what you pay for. Usually if the price of something seems too good to be true, it usually is. At CP, XtremeGear PSUs (along with Thermaltake TR2 RXs, Raidmax, and a few others) are cheap for a reason: they're cheaply made!

Edited by DGWalker - 29 Dec 2011 at 1:51pm
Phenom II X6 1100T
HAF 932 Blue
GA-990FXA-UD3
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950
16GB G.Skill Ares 1866MHz
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
2TB SATA III
PCP&C 950W 80+ Silver
Antec KUHLER H2O 920
Arrowslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arrowslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm
I agree as many failures as I have seen they may want to rethink those? But then again looks like there are a few having no issues with them.

I got the raidmax 1000, in research I found decent reviews but the xtremegear were 95 percent bad reviews.

But its always about cost if its cheaper to get a few returns rather than a new vendor we all know the answer.
cbpuser132 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbpuser132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:50pm
Wow, if I had only read your post before! My Xtreme Gear 850w PSU just stopped working too. My machine is only 8 weeks old. Now I am forced to remove it manually, ship it, pay for all shipping costs, wait forever for the new one to come and then rewire the whole think myself at my free time! Cyberpower - I agree with the others in the forum. Why are you ruining your own reputation by leaving so many unhappy customers? You won't last very long in this business...
Gomtuu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomtuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:26pm
You would be better off to get another type somewhere else and install it
HAF-X (Blue fans)
i7-2600K 3.40
Thermaltake Frio
12xBR+24xDVD
120g Intel SSD
500g HDDx2
16g Crucial Tracer LED Ram
AMD Radeon 7950x2
GA- Z77X UD5H
Coolermaster 1kw PSU
hunter2618 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter2618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:53pm
good god! does anyone ever do any research before buying anything these days........if u put in another xtremegear psu u might as well use the "new" pc as a doorstop......

Edited by hunter2618 - 28 Apr 2012 at 3:56pm
Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition   http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/             pc wattage calculator   http://www.antec.outervision.com/
Kalidor835 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalidor835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 5:13pm
Yep, putting another Xtremegear PSU in there would be just as bad as putting a .44 Magnum with one round in it next to the PC and playing Russian Roulette.  Eventually it's going to go off. 

If you were to buy a new PSU to put in there what kind of budget would you have and what are the rest of your build specs?

Edited by Kalidor835 - 28 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm
Intel i7-875K @ 3.85GHZ

GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3

Asetek 570LX

8GB G.Skill Sniper

Radeon R9 380X

Xion Predator 970

2x1TB HDD raid0

Windows 7 Home Premium

PCP&C 750w Silence
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic