Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
CyberPower News & Promotion
 CyberPower Forum : General Information : CyberPower News & Promotion
Message Icon Topic: Cyberpower=Ibuypower?(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Bmiller

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Cyberpower=Ibuypower?
    Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 6:35pm
Are Cyberpower and Ibuypower owned by the same people?

The websites look the same, the shipping costs are the same, the products available for purchase seem to be about the same...
IP IP Logged
peter0328

bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 8:18pm
No.  IBP doesn't have the same cases or as much customizability as CP.  Their configs also suck more, lol.
Intel Core i7 940
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
Asetek LCLC
12GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator
2x1TB RAID 0
2x1TB
LG BD Write/HD DVD Read
Quad SLI EVGA GTX 295
NZXT Khaos
Windows 7 RC1 x64
IP IP Logged
Bmiller

bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 1:35pm
So other than selling different cases, they are almost identical. They sell the exact same models of most products (I understand some will be the same just because that is what's popular on the market, but it was ridiculous). Cyberpower and Ibuypower even sound similar if you say them really quickly :-P

On the forums, customers have the same issues with both companies and the customizable options when building a rig are the same--even down to the shipping costs and rush delivery options.

Does anyone have an answer to this that addresses all of these points? I appreciate peter's response, it just didn't go very far to ease my curiosity.

Thanks
IP IP Logged
mrcheese87

bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 2:10pm
I could be wrong, but working for an e-commerce software company myself, they could both be using similar or the same type of "shopping cart" solution, so the overall layout would remain similar.  Depending on the functionality of the cart, they could also have some preset ordering options that either company can choose from.  One could have mimicked the other. who knows.  If you see a competitor doing something that is working well for them, why not try it out yourself.
IP IP Logged
Salan

bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 7:59am
Hi

That is a good question.  It comes up every three months or so.  I have never seen an answer.  Both companies are privately owned.  Although the corporate officers are a matter of public record, the ownership is murkey / invisible.  Ibuypower started about two years before cyberpower.  Both companies have distinct facilities that are physically just a few miles apart.  In the end in either case the consumer has no idea who he/she is dealing with.  Both companies have a similar track record of defective and poor product and even worse customer service and indeed there are a great number of similarities between them. 

I don't really think that it really matters if there is common ownership because both companies are more or less identical in my mind. 

Alan

PS - Peter that is the dumbest response that you have posted to date.  Do you have a clue as to who owns what part of each company or did you just whip off an answer for the sheer joy of posting something?  If you do have some knowledge to share please do, because I have also been curious as to the answer to the question.

Edited by Salan - 08 Jul 2009 at 8:08am
CM HAF
I7 950
Zalman 9900LED
EVGA Classifed
12G Corsair Dom 1600
2 X BFG 285 OCXs
1500W Silverstone Strider
2 x Intel 80G X-25-M in Raid 0
LG BR Bnr, LG DVD Bnr
2 x WD 1T Blk
W7 Ult 64 Bit
IP IP Logged
peter0328

bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Salan

Hi

That is a good question.  It comes up every three months or so.  I have never seen an answer.  Both companies are privately owned.  Although the corporate officers are a matter of public record, the ownership is murkey / invisible.  Ibuypower started about two years before cyberpower.  Both companies have distinct facilities that are physically just a few miles apart.  In the end in either case the consumer has no idea who he/she is dealing with.  Both companies have a similar track record of defective and poor product and even worse customer service and indeed there are a great number of similarities between them. 

I don't really think that it really matters if there is common ownership because both companies are more or less identical in my mind. 

Alan

PS - Peter that is the dumbest response that you have posted to date.  Do you have a clue as to who owns what part of each company or did you just whip off an answer for the sheer joy of posting something?  If you do have some knowledge to share please do, because I have also been curious as to the answer to the question.

I was just making up some BS response that CP would say.  They swear that they aren't the same company so I was just brainstorming what they might make up to prove it.
Intel Core i7 940
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
Asetek LCLC
2x1TB RAID 0
2x1TB
LG BD Write/HD DVD Read
Quad SLI EVGA GTX 295
NZXT Khaos
Windows 7 RC1 x64
IP IP Logged
Salan

bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 8:41am

Hi

They are not the same company, but may well be owned by the same people when you trace the common control chain to the end.  They do indeed say that they are not the same company, but that may be a lie wrapped in the truth.  The answer to the question is out there.  It would take to much time, effort, and cost to find out and I haven't bothered with it because I don't really care enough.  It does not make a difference because they are functionally identical and their business plans probably are as similar as the web sites.

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

Alan

Alan
CM HAF
I7 950
Zalman 9900LED
EVGA Classifed
12G Corsair Dom 1600
2 X BFG 285 OCXs
1500W Silverstone Strider
2 x Intel 80G X-25-M in Raid 0
LG BR Bnr, LG DVD Bnr
2 x WD 1T Blk
W7 Ult 64 Bit
IP IP Logged
Bmiller

bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 11:04am
I know they aren't the same "company" as they are separately incorporated, so I guess the root of my question was are they owned by the same people. It seems that no one is very clear on this. Like Alan said though, they can be thought of as the same because their business practices are the same--as are all of their faults.

I guess to sum up this post, they are not the same company, might be owned by the same people, but in the end no one should buy from either one because they are both plagued by the inability to properly fulfill an order or give good customer service.

Also, the cases they sell are different (thanks peter).

I would like to hear from a CP/IBP rep on this. Anyone?

Edited by Bmiller - 08 Jul 2009 at 11:05am
IP IP Logged
Vicious

bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 7:50am
i dont get why you care or post this stuff on here if you think they are that bad. that goes for others. why do yall spend time on here if they suck so bad? ive seen alot of positive comment history. i would suggest go to a forum where you effectively support a company by posting on their forum instead of on one yall think sucks so bad. otherwise its just trolling.
IP IP Logged
peter0328

bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Vicious

i dont get why you care or post this stuff on here if you think they are that bad. that goes for others. why do yall spend time on here if they suck so bad? ive seen alot of positive comment history. i would suggest go to a forum where you effectively support a company by posting on their forum instead of on one yall think sucks so bad. otherwise its just trolling.

Agreed.
Intel Core i7 940
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P
Asetek LCLC
2x1TB RAID 0
2x1TB
LG BD Write/HD DVD Read
Quad SLI EVGA GTX 295
NZXT Khaos
Windows 7 RC1 x64
IP IP Logged