Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Customer Feedback
 CyberPower Forum : Feedback : Customer Feedback
Message Icon Topic: Satisfied with my Fangbook X7-300 Post Reply Post New Topic
Tactical_Donut

Online Status: Offline
Quote Tactical_Donut Replybullet Topic: Satisfied with my Fangbook X7-300
    Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:31am

So, having a hard time actually starting this so let's start from the beginning.

Initial Purchase:

I spent a long time eyeing laptops from different companies since I wanted to replace my aging ASUS G74SX. I looked into OriginPC, XOTICPC, and a few others. I had always known CyberPowerPC was out there but I wasn't all too certain yet. When the Fangbook X7 series came out I blown away by how cheap it was for such a strong platform. Of course I didn't buy it for months until I went on R&R to Australia in March 2013 with my girlfriend. After a long talk with her I finally decided to buy the Fangbook X7-300 to finally get rid of the aging ASUS G74SX. Luckily for me I was able to pick up the 680M before they ran out. I decided to get as much as I can but at a reasonable price, of course. And here is my list:

Fangbook X7-300

• *BASE_PRICE: [+1799]
  • ADAPTER: Full Range AC adapter 180W, AC in 100~240V ~ 2.5A 50~60Hz, DC output 19.5V, 9.5A
  • BLUETOOTH: Built-in Bluetooth
  • BATTERY: 9-Cells Lithium-Ion battery pack 11.1Vdc 7800mAh 87Wh
  • BAGS: None
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Mobile Processor 2.40 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.40 GHz
  • CD: 6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-FANGBOOK-BLURAY)
  • FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 4in1 Media Reader
  • HDD2: 750GB Seagate Momentus XT 7200 RPM SATA600 Hybrid Hard Drive w/ 8GB SSD Caching [+58]
  • HDD: 750GB Seagate Momentus XT 7200 RPM SATA600 Hybrid Hard Drive w/ 8GB SSD Caching [+68]
  • INVERTER: None
  • KEYBOARD: Built-in Keyboard
  • MSSD: None
  • MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
  • MOTHERBOARD: Intel HM77 Express Chipset Mainboard
  • MONITOR: None
  • MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory [+0] (Corsair Vengeance Gaming)
  • NOTEBOOK_COVER: Fangbook Cover
  • NOTEBOOK: CyberPowerPC FANGBOOK 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display w/ Red backlit performance keyboard with programmable keys, Built-in 720p HD webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
  • NETWORK: Built-in Killer E2200 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card
  • RUSH: No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Date 10 Business Days
  • RAID: RAID-0 Storage (Data Strip - Requires 2nd Hard Disk Drive or both 2nd & 3rd Hard Disk Drives) [+0]
  • SPEAKERS: Built-in Stereo Speakers System
  • SOUND: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound
  • SERVICE: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • TVRC: None
  • TABLET: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USB: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 3x USB3.0 Ports
  • VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in HD Webcam
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA GTX 680M 4GB PCIe Video (NB-FANGBOOK-680)
  • WTV: None
  • WNC: Killer Wireless-N 1202 802.11 a/b/g/n Half Size Adapter [+39]
  • _view_: {C7C7D3EE-B6E4-47F7-B326-61B0D45A6484}
  • _load_: 3/16/2013 7:30:15 AM
  • _PRICE: (+1995)

After paying for it, 3/18/2013, recieved an invoice and turned out my representative was Carlo C., thanks again Carlo. Initially he sent me an email saying that my address didn't match with my card and we got that resolved quickly. Then a few days later it was in the warehouse, ready to go,3/21/2013.

The Wait:

The Army has taught me that waiting is 90% of what we have to do but man, I was anxious the entire time I was waiting for this. Fortunately for me production was nice and quick. Assembly began on the 3/26/2013 and shortly after that on the same day they began with quality testing. I was impressed by how fast it was going but of course I was a bit worried they would rush QC like I have heard stories about on the forum. Luckily for me they finished a few days later, 4/1/2013. I was super excited since it meant it would ship soon. Unfortunately it was delayed a day when Carlo C., emailed me saying the APO address wasn't being accepted by USPS. I sent him an email right away and even called him from Afghanistan to get it resolved as soon as possible. He is a great representative because he had it resolved that day and shipped out the next. Great guy. Still I had to wait for it to travel from California to Afghanistan and that was a good two weeks of waiting. I was worried since USPS was not updating until it eventually left New Jersey.

Receiving the Fangbook:

I received the Fangbook last night when I got on night shift and I was so excited. Came in a nice brown box then inside that box was foam and another box. Then inside that box was the Fangbook box. Man, boxception. Get it? Okay.. anyway, I finally got to pull it out and wow, it was beautiful. No damage whatsoever to the exterior. A contractor that I work with pressed the spacebar and giggled like a little Japanese school girl on her first date. Everyone was amazed by how nice it looked. I was a but worried about the exterior from the pictures I saw but it is extraordinary in person. Now, there are a few scratches on the touchbar that uses the MSI S-BAR or SCM if you have Windows 8. But besides that it was perfect.

Testing the Fangbook:

Always, always test a product. And so I did. I test every key on the keyboard, no issues. Tested the touchpad and it was perfect, of course the mouse buttons themselves are a bit stiff but that's fine with me. The touch buttons function perfectly. The web cam I actually got an error that it wasn't there. Then I remembered I probably have to activate it and so I did with the FN key and showed right now. Perfect. Blu-ray drive works, Optimus works when I saw it switching from the Intel HD 4000 to the GTX680M. I ran a few benchmarks here and there to test everything was functional and no problems at all. After spending all night installing updates, customizing, and restoring my Steam and Origin games, I was ready to go. When I got back in the room it was already late so I jumped onto BF3 real quick with my Razer Deathadder and Corsair 1500 headset. Just a big heads up, do not use this on your lap. Unfortunately the only room I have is a bed so I have to use my lap but wow, that 680M gets hot. In BF3 it got up to 85C average and it was burning my left thigh. All I did was put a towel on my thigh and problem solved until I get my cooling pad for extra comfort. Now, with BF3, my ASUS could barely pull 35 FPS on high with no AA and no SSAO or HBAO in multiplayer. This Fangbook got me 50+ FPS on High/Ultra, 2xMSAA, and HBAO. I mean I was blown away when I loaded into Operation Firestorm. I had an eye orgasm for a good five minutes. I kept dying because I couldn't stop staring at the beautiful map and how smooth it was. I even jumped onto Homefront which barely got me 30FPS on high with no DX11 on my ASUS. Fangbook got my 60+ FPS with DX11 on the highest setting. I cannot wait to jump onto Skyrim and Metro 2033. As well as Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3.

The Verdict:

So, overall I am extremely satisfied. I know there's a lot of horror stories out there with desktop and laptop issues but remember people who complain are more than likely to post than people who are happy which convinced me to make this post. I would recommend everyone to CyberPowerPC for their future builds and especially the Fangbook X7-300 for anyone looking for a nice gaming laptop. Cheap price but so powerful that I don't even know what to do with all of the raw power behind it. I like to give a shout out to Carlo C., who got me through everything and answering all of my emails. Great guy. For almost 2000 dollars, it was definitely worth it. I will look into hopefully writing a small review on the Fangbook X7-300 in a few days with pictures and better benchmarks than the other ones I have seen. We'll throw in BF3, Metro 2033, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, and other popular games because really, who even plays Far Cry 2 anymore? Thank you for reading and have a great day.

Edited by Tactical_Donut - 18 Apr 2013 at 9:37am
IP IP Logged
CyberHD
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote CyberHD Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:57am
Thank you for posting and I am glad that you really enjoy your new laptop. There's also usually film on the laptop and keyboard so make sure all of that is peeled.
Regards, CyberHD
Tech Support 888-900-5180/877-876-4965 or 626-869-0228.
Email:techsupport@cyberpowerpc.com
Please email rma.status@cyberpowerpc.com for status checks on RMA or repairs.
IP IP Logged
Tactical_Donut

Quote Tactical_Donut Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 10:10am

Yeah, I got all of the film and such removed. It's so beautiful with the blue LED and red backlight keyboard.

UPDATE: So I noticed the GPU is running extremely hot in BF3. Sometimes hitting 90C. I have plans to going ahead and reapply thermal paste for the GPU and CPU just to be safe with Arctic Silver 5. Unsure if this issue is due to poor pasting during the build or inadequate quaility but nothing too major. Easy stuff.

UPDATE 2: So I got to remove the back cover and CPU heatsink first and wow, it looked as if someone squirted thermal paste all over the thermal area. It was all over the bottom of the heatsink and some was going onto the CPU itself. Clean up was easy but I was worried about the GPU the most and I was right. Took off the GPU heatsink and it was worse. Someone took a dump on it with thermal paste this time. I mean it was all over the GPU itself. Clean up took a while on this one but I got it all clean. I'll have to reapply thermal paste later but that was a mess. Not too bad of a clean up, though.

Edited by Tactical_Donut - 18 Apr 2013 at 5:00pm
IP IP Logged
Tactical_Donut

Quote Tactical_Donut Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 6:28am
UPDATE 3: I was able to apply Arctic Silver 5 to the GPU and CPU but it is still hitting around 90C average in every game I play. Idle is fine at 30C and sometimes 27C but at a load, it spikes up. It sounds like an issue with the heatsink or the fan. I already contacted Carlo C. to assist me in getting a new heatsink and fan from the RMA department since being deployed in Afghanistan makes it extremely difficult to send it back.

Edited by Tactical_Donut - 19 Apr 2013 at 6:29am
IP IP Logged
Tactical_Donut

Quote Tactical_Donut Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 11:32am

UPDATE 4:

I got in contact with the customer service and they won't send me the heatsink and fan to replace it since "only they can open it." I tried explaining that the GPU is extremely close to hitting the 98C threshold before it actually starts to get damaged but no luck. They recommended that I send it in to them to have it looked at but even told me he doubts that there is an acutal issue. I mean, really. My GPU hitting 93C is not an issue? I can't justify sending it away for a month and a half to have it looked at and told there's nothing wrong with it because it's not crashing constantly. I had better RMA with EVGA when my GTX460 was hitting constant 95C. I'm starting to feel like I should have paid extra from another site for a laptop that won't overheat. I went ahead and bought some new thermal paste and pads to try and resolve this myself. If a company thinks 93C is perfectly fine then something is wrong.
IP IP Logged
Tactical_Donut

Quote Tactical_Donut Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 2:05pm

UPDATE 5:

I had a long talk with tech support and then it was escalated and it came down to this. They're going to look into it and if they determine that it is indeed running too hot, I get an RMA or I can refund if I want to right now. I really like the Fangbook. I think it's a great build but I got unlucky with this one. I just can't do with sending it away and paying shipping and etc. I have to think about it but I might have to get a refund.
IP IP Logged
Tactical_Donut

Quote Tactical_Donut Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 6:24pm

UPDATE 6:

I called in and requested for the return paper work. I'm really sad to be honest. I like this Fangbook and I got attached to it for the two days I had it but the heating issue just drives me insane and I can't deal with it. I definitely recommend this laptop but it was just bad luck for me.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version